Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sick of carbon dust on hands

Baldmonkey

Can anyone recommend the best thing for stopping the carbon dust coming off my slx. Used plastikote acrylic on it about 3 weeks ago and it's back to giving off loads of carbon dust. 

Spent all that money on that pole around 4 months ago and now it's just ****.. Think gardiner should be looking at a better coating than the rubbish they currently put on. 

Anyway I have a friend who works in a bodyshop and has said he will spray and cure it for me but what is the most durable coating to do?? 

Can anyone recommend the best thing for stopping the carbon dust coming off my slx. Used plastikote acrylic on it about 3 weeks ago and it's back to giving off loads of carbon dust. 

Spent all that money on that pole around 4 months ago and now it's just ****.. Think gardiner should be looking at a better coating than the rubbish they currently put on. 

Anyway I have a friend who works in a bodyshop and has said he will spray and cure it for me but what is the most durable coating to do?? 
As far as I am aware Gardiners don’t put any coating on there poles it’s the raw carbon but Ime sure @Alex Gardiner will be able to explain ,this situation appears to be common with carbon poles , this is why I have gone back to a clx as my everyday short  pole as it doesn’t happen with them . I know it has been suggested to wear nitrial gloves but I hate wearing gloves find they make my hands sweat and go soft 

Have a similar issue with my Extreme but the carbon release has died off a fair bit since I got the pole and worked with it more. Latex or nit gloves are the only solution I've found, otherwise get used to black hands!  

I’ve come to view it this way. Any job has its downside. If you’re a mechanic you’re going to get grease on your hands. A painter, decorator it’s going to be paint. Office worker, eye strain maybe from screens or maybe writers cramp. The list is endless. When I was a traddy, it was mud everywhere. In winter I would often go through a pair of trouser a day.
For me, the only successful way I’ve found to completely stop black hand when using carbon poles is to wear gloves. But as has been said you then have to put up with sweaty soft hands. Coating the pole is only going to stop it temporarily and then you’ll have to coat it again. That’s too much agro for me.

Currently I just wear one green nitrile glove on my right hand. Don’t have the problem with my left.

Orange swarfega - the granules in that will shift anything including the most stubborn car oils and grease. I'd be surprised if it doesn't shift carbon too. Don't bother with the green swarfega original, it's utterly useless at moving itself yet alone anything else.

Other than that, nitrile gloves. Yes they make your hands sweat and go soft (if you keep them on long enough) but if you change them between jobs.. or take off and then reuse later it's not so much of a problem. I found some strong disposable nitrile gloves - i've used the same pair for washing up 4 times lol - they're far stronger than normal nitrile gloves - will post a photo of the box later if i remember.

Orange swarfega - the granules in that will shift anything including the most stubborn car oils and grease. I'd be surprised if it doesn't shift carbon too. Don't bother with the green swarfega original, it's utterly useless at moving itself yet alone anything else.

Other than that, nitrile gloves. Yes they make your hands sweat and go soft (if you keep them on long enough) but if you change them between jobs.. or take off and then reuse later it's not so much of a problem. I found some strong disposable nitrile gloves - i've used the same pair for washing up 4 times lol - they're far stronger than normal nitrile gloves - will post a photo of the box later if i remember.
I found the carbon dust got into my skin and made my fingers rough it was like little bits of carbon stuck in my fingers nothing would remove it ?? if you look at carbon particles under a microscope they are barbed like a fish hook or Velcro , it’s a lovely light strong product but the bits from it are a nightmare, bit like mmmf that the latest military aircraft are made from that’s like a super duper carbon  

@Baldmonkey you also need to use https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/ptfe-spray-400-ml.html I also use a silicone based spray on top of this like https://www.waxworx.uk/shop/waxworx/waxworx-quick-detailer-spray-500ml/ it's a silicone based spray and totally fine on carbon, when I strip down my pole and rinse it out with water, once dry I spray the outside of each section with 2-3 light coats of the ptfe then spray inside the top of each section then follow up with one coat of the detailing spray 

Once or twice a week  spray a cloth with the QD spray and wipe down each each section all this ensures that the each section moves freely as it should this also reduces carbon dust, the QD is also ideal for it's intended purpose after washing the van, other QD sprays are available ?

Got to be honest was looking at an xtreme but I'm having second thoughts, it's so time consuming all the maintenance when a good solid coat of something like enamel, epoxy or something that just needs redoing once a year... Surely when you're forking out all this money on "the best on the market"... The answer shouldn't be "wear gloves" ffs

@Baldmonkey you also need to use https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/ptfe-spray-400-ml.html I also use a silicone based spray on top of this like https://www.waxworx.uk/shop/waxworx/waxworx-quick-detailer-spray-500ml/ it's a silicone based spray and totally fine on carbon, when I strip down my pole and rinse it out with water, once dry I spray the outside of each section with 2-3 light coats of the ptfe then spray inside the top of each section then follow up with one coat of the detailing spray 

Once or twice a week  spray a cloth with the QD spray and wipe down each each section all this ensures that the each section moves freely as it should this also reduces carbon dust, the QD is also ideal for it's intended purpose after washing the van, other QD sprays are available ?
I'll stick with black hands or just use the trusty CLX, surely purchasers should be forewarned about all of the extra maintenance required to maintain these poles as you'll have to retape every section on a regular basis as well.

I have never had issues with carbon dust even when I was using my S-Max nor my current Xtreme I just look after my pole(s) and only wear gloves as needed on wet or cold days 

I'll stick with black hands or just use the trusty CLX, surely purchasers should be forewarned about all of the extra maintenance required to maintain these poles as you'll have to retape every section on a regular basis as well.
I just look after my stuff mate, also using the products as I do helps a lot with repelling moisture and dirt on damp and wet days to avoid grit getting into and grinding between sections, I use the QD spray on pole hose as well, I am only a lightweight compared to your good self so I need to use an Xtreme. 

But you must be spending a couple of hours a week maintaining them
Nope takes 20 minutes at most including drying times, I can wash my wifes car my van dry them both, plus QD the glass and all the paintwork and do the tyres and trims in under 2 hours ?

I have never had issues with carbon dust even when I was using my S-Max nor my current Xtreme I just look after my pole(s) and only wear gloves as needed on wet or cold days 
You may not have issues but you have just listed quite a lengthy and time consuming maintenance schedule.... Maybe @Alex Gardiner needs to investigate or do some R&D into either a more durable top coat or a top/final wrap in another material that won't begin to disintegrate after 3 months use (and regular cleaning) 

I just look after my stuff mate, also using the products as I do helps a lot with repelling moisture and dirt on damp and wet days to avoid grit getting into and grinding between sections, I use the QD spray on pole hose as well, I am only a lightweight compared to your good self so I need to use an Xtreme. 
I understand that not everyone can swing heavier poles all day and therefore need to use the higher carbon poles. Yes you are slightly forewarned that you need to maintain the Xtremes more than other poles but to have to put that much effort in is, for me, not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is I've invested a lot of money with gardiner over the last 3 months (probably best part of 2kl and for the poles to be like they are, I'm sorry but maybe my relationship with gardiner is going to come to a swift and final conclusion... #nothappy

I understand that not everyone can swing heavier poles all day and therefore need to use the higher carbon poles. Yes you are slightly forewarned that you need to maintain the Extremes more than other poles but to have to put that much effort in is, for me, not worth it.
I'll do owt do keep out of the my wifes way at times after 20 years of marriage, can't wait till I get my shed with a wood burner down the allotment, me some brown ale, I'll be curled up like a little field mouse ?

Back