Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing clamps on my streamline pole

Diamond geezer

First of all happy new year to every one,not been on the forum ,for some time.Yes I want to change the clamps on my old 30ft carbon steamline,ive bought some phantom clamps.how do I get the old ones off please,I think one off you told me to heat em up with hot water,it was last year and I cant quite remember. their the old in line clamps,not transverse and glued on I belive thanks.

Another subject  Tank positioning. I think Pd4star got a new grippa,i was reading the content(they fit tanks according to acsesability  under neath etc.But I imagine central between axels is best for handling ie driving stability,i think I also read before xmass on the forum. If I fit at the rear,do you think it would put my **** out sorry to be blunt?I have a transporter cheers

OHH just seen previous  topick reversing pole secyion where Alex Gardiner showa how to cut diagonly across clamp with hack saw oops

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all happy new year to every one,not been on the forum ,for some time.Yes I want to change the clamps on my old 30ft carbon steamline,ive bought some phantom clamps.how do I get the old ones off please,I think one off you told me to heat em up with hot water,it was last year and I cant quite remember. their the old in line clamps,not transverse and glued on I belive thanks.

Another subject  Tank positioning. I think Pd4star got a new grippa,i was reading the content(they fit tanks according to acsesability  under neath etc.But I imagine central between axels is best for handling ie driving stability,i think I also read before xmass on the forum. If I fit at the rear,do you think it would put my **** out sorry to be blunt?I have a transporter cheers

OHH just seen previous  topick reversing pole secyion where Alex Gardiner showa how to cut diagonly across clamp with hack saw oops
We have covered the formula for tank positioning on a number of threads on this forum of late.You will need to find out what your maximum and kerb weight is of each axle and then use the formula to decide where to put a tank.

This won't be in a single spot and will give you a bit of latitude to move the tank around.

For example, PF will fit a 650 liter Wydale tank up against the bulkhead of a Vivaro van. But you could also move that tank back a bit to give you space between the bulkhead and the tank for carpet cleaning machines or other stuff.

On my Peugeot Boxer I can't put my 650 liter tank width ways across the bulkhead as the front axle will be overloaded with 2 operators, 110 liters of fuel and 650 l of water. If I want the tank width ways I have to move it back closer to the rear axle. And yes, positioning the tank also has to be in a place where fixings are possible.

We have covered the formula for tank positioning on a number of threads on this forum of late.You will need to find out what your maximum and kerb weight is of each axle and then use the formula to decide where to
Yes I saw this thread a while back but didn't make notes at the time.ive just entered Tank Positioning as a new thread,hoping it would come back,as before when typing in a question that's been asked before they would come up so you could read em,and poss have the answer to your question before putting in a new thread,but its not happening is there anything I ca n do please

Yes I saw this thread a while back but didn't make notes at the time.ive just entered Tank Positioning as a new thread,hoping it would come back,as before when typing in a question that's been asked before they would come up so you could read em,and poss have the answer to your question before putting in a new thread,but its not happening is there anything I ca n do please
Here is the way to calculate where to position the tank to prevent axle overloading.

weightdistribution.jpg

In this example, the kerbside weight including the driver is 8 Tonnes.
The load is 10 Tonnes, which in this case is evenly distributed, and the vehicle's GVW is given on the plate as 18 Tonnes.

We now need to measure the distance between the centres of the axles to find the wheelbase, and found this to be 5 Mtrs as in the picture.
We now measure the distance from the centre of the load to each axle and found that in this case it is 3 Mtrs to the front axle and 2 Mtrs to the rear axle as in the picture.

Next, we use the formula in the picture, where
P = payload,
D = distance
and W = wheelbase.

So now to the calculation:
10 x 2 = 20 divided by 5 = 4 Therefore the front axle weighs 4 Tonnes and the rear axle must weigh 6 Tonnes.

NOTE: It doesn't matter which of the 2 "distances" you use, but you should remember that the answer that you get will be for the "other" axle.

Doing the same calculation using the "other" distance will give you:
10 x 3 = 30 divided by 5 = 6.  Therefore the rear axle weighs 6 Tonnes and the front axle must weigh 4 Tonnes.

The eyebolts need to be the strongest material available. High Tensile for the studs.

Axle weights will be on a plate somewhere on the vehicle.

As mentioned earlier you need to know minimum and maximum weights for both front and rear axles The maximum load will probably be on a plate in the engine bay but they won't be much use unless you know the kerb weight of each axle.

Here's my example;

The Peugeot Boxer I have is model 333 which has a payload of 1455 kgs. Its in the 3300kg weight category.

On the plate inside the engine bay it gives a maximum front axle weight of 1750kgs and max weight on the rear axle of 1900kgs. I found the kerb weights of the front and rear axles on the internet. They are 1195kgs for the front and 650kgs for the rear axles with no fuel and driver etc.

So I have 555kgs I can put on the front axle and 1250kgs I can put on the rear axle. This doesn't mean I can carry 1805kgs with both axles fully loaded as my payload is 1455kgs. If I did that then my overall gross vehicle weight would be over the 3300kgs. (I wouldn't be done for front or rear axle overloading but would be done for overloading my vehicle. So when the van is weighed they look at 3 factors, the load on the front axle, the load on the rear axle and the overall load the vehicle is carrying.)

So using that weight distribution formula and assuming that my weight, son's weight, and the fuel tank of diesel under our seats is all on the front axle, I can't position a 650 liter tank across the width of the van just behind the drivers seats and not overload the front axle when the tanks are full. (The driving position and location of the diesel tanks are slightly behind the front axle which means that some of this weight is on the back axle, but its not significant. It make about 30 kgs difference which doesn't change the overall result by much.) So according to the formula my front axle would be overloaded by around 240kgs with a full 650 liter tank of water. The back axle would have very little extra weight on it.

In my case I could fit the tank directly above the rear axle and been a long way off the maximum load on the axle.

Originally I brought a 51 plate Citroen Relay 1.9d and positioned the tank across the bulkhead. With the tank full, I could hardly turn the steering wheel. Even with half a brain I knew the axle was overloaded. So I removed the tank and fitted it length ways, thus correcting the problem.

Now a fellow windie posted on here a few years ago that he sold his Transit and brought a 10 plate Citroen Relay. He reported how difficult it was to swap his Purefrredom tank into his new van from his Transit. He positioned his tank across the front bulkhead. I saw the inside of his van a few months ago and told him he had positioned his tank in the wrong place. He shrugged it off as of no issue. His van is 3000kg. It has slightly smaller tyres so I have to presume his front axle weights are lower than mine. He is in the same situation as I was with my first 1.9d. But that's up to him. He has been advised of the situation.

For me the most ideal place to fit the tank would have been over the back axle leaving just enough room for the hose reels and back pack between the tank and the rear doors. That would then have given me a lot more usable space in front of the tank accessible from the side door. In the end I have positioned it slight further forward to give me room for my heater in the winter.  

well that's a lot of information to abloke that's just had a very good drink I thank you very much I shall be looking at this in great detail when iam sober and can understand a bit better, Thanks ever so much  I dare say I shall have this under my belt Completely by some time next week ill let you know when the penny has droped Ta Diamond.

Thanks very much Spruce,Iam going to try and print this off for my archives.thanks for your efforts.diamond

well that's a lot of information to abloke that's just had a very good drink I thank you very much I shall be looking at this in great detail when iam sober and can understand a bit better, Thanks ever so much  I dare say I shall have this under my belt Completely by some time next week ill let you know when the penny has droped Ta Diamond.
How long have you been drunk ?

Back