Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial - downpipes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NewGuy

Hi guys

I've been asked to quote on a basic clean of these downpipes.  I have explained I would only be using my wfp and not messing around with ladders and chemicals etc.

Whilst I have cleaned residential gutters and downpipes using these basic method to great success, are there any issues I ought to be considering here?

As for pricing, how would you approach this?  I'm working on the basis that this is possibly a couple of hours worth of work (sound right?), so will charge 2 x hourly rate.  So around £100.  Is that too high or low?  I do want to do this job because it may lead to future jobs with the contractor.  

Also, I'm not VAT registered.  Do I simply state this on the quote?

Thanks all.

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

Personally I would spray them with a 10-1 virisol mix then scrub with wfp you can clean it without but it will make life easier , time wise I would expect to do both in 40  muinits maximum , but it’s always good to allow a bit longer to be on the safe side .i doubt they would want to pay  £100 , but a nice little earner if they will ??

Great, thanks guys.  I like the backpack suggestion.  Apologies for the simple questions but would using chemical contaminate the backpack?  I only have one that I use for pure water on occasions so is it a case of having a separate backpack for chemicals or can I rinse thoroughly multiple times with pure water to remove any contamination?

If you're keen to secure it ask him what he wants to pay, why risk potentially a good client over a small job that isn't going to make or break you.
To be honest, I'm not actually too certain if I think about it.  He did mention some commercial buildings and I'm not sure if I want to go down the route just yet of buying the expensive Ultimate poles just yet whilst I'm focussing on the residential side.  I might just do these downpipes as a one-off and see what materialises.

Great, thanks guys.  I like the backpack suggestion.  Apologies for the simple questions but would using chemical contaminate the backpack?  I only have one that I use for pure water on occasions so is it a case of having a separate backpack for chemicals or can I rinse thoroughly multiple times with pure water to remove any contamination?
Provided you flush it through after with Tap water to get rid of the soap before using it for pure again it will be fine .

As long as you empty the chemical mix then fill with pure I would then flush the microbore and just take a sample. The chemical is only 10% so if you leave half a litre in, probably a lot less than that, and fill with 20 litres of pure you have then diluted the chemical to less than .5%. Can't see that doing any harm 

As long as you empty the chemical mix then fill with pure I would then flush the microbore and just take a sample. The chemical is only 10% so if you leave half a litre in, probably a lot less than that, and fill with 20 litres of pure you have then diluted the chemical to less than .5%. Can't see that doing any harm 
Great, that's helpful. One final question, would one simply wet the downpipes with the solution and wait 10 minutes or so before scrubbing with pure water?  Or do you start scrubbing immediately?

I promise there will be no further questions on such a simple matter but this is helpful to understand as I have some residential guttering jobs approaching and whilst I have just been using just pure water to date, the scrubbing can take some effort!

Great, that's helpful. One final question, would one simply wet the downpipes with the solution and wait 10 minutes or so before scrubbing with pure water?  Or do you start scrubbing immediately?

I promise there will be no further questions on such a simple matter but this is helpful to understand as I have some residential guttering jobs approaching and whilst I have just been using just pure water to date, the scrubbing can take some effort!
We would spray it on put the sprayer back on the van then start scrubbing only needs a couple of muinits soak  time , any questions just ask we all have to learn and if you don’t  ask you won’t learn  . 

On a job that size and type I would apply with backpack and usual WFP brush. I wouldn't use pure on that job, if you have access to tap, if it's warm and sunny I would wet first, apply and gently scrub during application then wash off. If you do it when warm I wouldn't do the full pipe, probably half of it. If doing it in cold conditions I would do the whole pipe in one.

Completed the job today.  I quoted £50 in the end - I didn't want to take the mick and charge too high. Took me about 45 minutes and another 15 minutes cleaning mud off the hoses (the site was a quagmire of mud) so I thought this was priced fairly without taking advantage.  

Thanks for your help guys. 

Completed the job today.  I quoted £50 in the end - I didn't want to take the mick and charge too high. Took me about 45 minutes and another 15 minutes cleaning mud off the hoses (the site was a quagmire of mud) so I thought this was priced fairly without taking advantage.  

Thanks for your help guys. 
There you go I was only 5 muinits out on timing ????

We have a converted wfp with a spray nozzle on the end and use a backpack with the solution in it , if not di what @Part Timer said 

View attachment 19486

View attachment 19487
I'm all over this now, nice one! I see you're using series 21 connections. How are you connecting the other end to the gardener back pack then mate? Have you fitted it with the series 21 female hose tail? 

Cheers

I'm all over this now, nice one! I see you're using series 21 connections. How are you connecting the other end to the gardener back pack then mate? Have you fitted it with the series 21 female hose tail? 

Cheers
Yes as you say on the back pack hose is a recluse 21 female and on the pole a male  

Back