Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning York Stone Slabs

Cleanz

What's the correct way to go about cleaning these? The customer was under the impression they couldn't be pressure washed - I'll be honest :

It's been a long time since I've done any pressure washing (too busy with everything else!) and I've been fortunate enough to just have newer slabs in the past with little/no black spots so haven't used hypo before (which I'm guessing is needed here).

However, keen to learn how to do these properly!

20200305_094210.jpg

20200305_094314.jpg

20200305_094328.jpg

the topic has had 67 views over three hours from posting, its an intresting project there and one I would actually like to have to break the mundane day to day work.

I could answer all your questions and provide a good safe way of making the the patio look good again, 

I looked at your profile before posting was on the 23rd of feb 2015 so you're not that involved with the forum and I take the post as looking for advice without giving anything back, we are not information cows on here, ie we give and share, give and share.

not for people to post a problem they don't know the answer to and expect solutions-that takes time and respect mate, I've spent a lot of money learning to do what I do and many many hours of research, normally I would give advice but, not to someone who last got involved in the forum four years ago my rant over.

the topic has had 67 views over three hours from posting, its an intresting project there and one I would actually like to have to break the mundane day to day work.

I could answer all your questions and provide a good safe way of making the the patio look good again, 

I looked at your profile before posting was on the 23rd of feb 2015 so you're not that involved with the forum and I take the post as looking for advice without giving anything back, we are not information cows on here, ie we give and share, give and share.

not for people to post a problem they don't know the answer to and expect solutions-that takes time and respect mate, I've spent a lot of money learning to do what I do and many many hours of research, normally I would give advice but, not to someone who last got involved in the forum four years ago my rant over.
I do understand your point of view - however you could look at it from my perspective which is :

I haven't logged into the forum in years, (mainly because I forgot about it and haven't had the need to use it) so it's not like I've been on here asking for things constantly and not giving anything back.

I don't really do social media anymore, because I find the groups quite toxic so quit all that ages ago.

Because I'm mainly cleaning windows, everything I've needed has come from local window cleaners/suppliers.  This is out of my comfort zone, so thought I'd post online.

Not sure how I could have approached it in any other way, but happy to help others if I can.

I would just pressure wash them and see how they come up. If I noticed black lichen then I would treat with strong hypo until it disappeared. 
So it won't damage them?

Pointing is also good.on them from what I saw

I do understand your point of view - however you could look at it from my perspective which is :

I haven't logged into the forum in years, (mainly because I forgot about it and haven't had the need to use it) so it's not like I've been on here asking for things constantly and not giving anything back.

I don't really do social media anymore, because I find the groups quite toxic so quit all that ages ago.

Because I'm mainly cleaning windows, everything I've needed has come from local window cleaners/suppliers.  This is out of my comfort zone, so thought I'd post online.

Not sure how I could have approached it in any other way, but happy to help others if I can.

So it won't damage them?

Pointing is also good.on them from what I saw
No, unless you have a 500 bar PW and use a turbo nozzle on it. Just do a test patch to see how it comes up. The mortar might begin to come apart but the customer will expect this looking by the age of it. That's a great job to get because of the state that its in. I would also PW the bottom of the brick wall and around the drainpipe which looks bad. There's an easy £500 there to do that and you should do it in a day. ?

What a ******** response! ...Really? You could have just had your views and kept your gob shut.... if you dont have any good to say why vent off? what did it achieve ? other than you coming across as a complete and utter d#$%.

There are no quotas that I have noticed here, we all have strenghts and weakness's physically, mentally and educationally plus many more, this just happens to be a place to share info. Look at the posts here, many are hardly ever answered, plenty of views but little actual posting and that is everyone's choice, some just to prefer to read and not get involved.

Possibly because of your responses a person will not post and continue to post and then in turn become the 'expert' who then returns his experiance by way of helping out those who are less knowledgable.

Do yourself a favour, keep your precious advice to yourself... I doubt it's that world changing...... it's already been answered so now your comment has been nulled by those willing to be decent and help where there can and if they so feel inclined.

The more you know, the less you know you know.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a ******** response! ...Really? You could have just had your views and kept your gob shut.... if you dont have any good to say why vent off? what did it achieve ? other than you coming across as a complete and utter d#$%.

There are no quotas that I have noticed here, we all have strenghts and weakness's physically, mentally and educationally plus many more, this just happens to be a place to share info. Look at the posts here, many are hardly ever answered, plenty of views but little actual posting and that is everyone's choice, some just to prefer to read and not get involved.

Possibly because of your responses a person will not post and continue to post and then in turn become the 'expert' who then returns his experiance by way of helping out those who are less knowledgable.

Do yourself a favour, keep your precious advice to yourself... I doubt it's that world changing...... it's already been answered so now your comment has been nulled by those willing to be decent and help where there can and if they so feel inclined.

The more you know, the less you know you know.

Dave.
I am with @kevinc250 a little here the only way this forum continues is member interaction across the board, Kevin is a very knowledgeable chap very much so regarding the use of chemicals and has explained a lot to me personally and I have spoken to him on the phone, I helped him out a bit as well.

I am with @kevinc250 a little here the only way this forum continues is member interaction across the board, Kevin is a very knowledgeable chap very much so regarding the use of chemicals and has explained a lot to me personally and I have spoken to him on the phone, I helped him out a bit as well.
I'm sure Kevin is a pillar of his community and saves kittens stuck in trees for old ladies....but I stand by my response...its not so much about whether he does share his knowledge or not but more about the belittling of someone who merely asked for information/advice based on his idea that there is some informal quota or ratio system of time on forum, questions asked/answered and/or general interaction.

If we all take a look back to when we first started inc Kevin's posts 'way back when', it's not always been a balanced give/take ratio/quota.

Personally I jump in here when it suits me and when either I have something to add or need advice. This is not a social club, it is merely a place to share or find information, if you find a social side to it happy days but as soon as I have no further use for this site I will drop it and go do something else.

Cheers Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there’s the serial posters. Some members crop up on every post without any real relevance to the op. Come on lads it’s not a competition. 

Personally I jump in here when it suits me and when either I have something to add or need advice. This is not a social club, it is merely a place to share or find information,
Fair do's it's something I have done in the past across various online platforms both business and personal stuff, for myself not just as a regular member and also a moderator I have maybe more of a vested interest in this forum maybe more than other members, so yes I may get a bit ansie at times, so apologies to anyone including yourself who's nose a may put out of joint at times.

As for Kevin and kitten's ? more chance of him putting them in his freezer and feeding them to his dog at a later date as whole prey ?

And then there’s the serial posters. Some members crop up on every post without any real relevance to the op. Come on lads it’s not a competition. 
That would possibly be me and @scottish cleaning service but if we don't have the regulars who jump in more than others the forum would stagnate, I understand for some including myself it's a finding your feet thing and this more of personal thing also what one feels they can interact with, you have been a member for over a year now and when you do jump in you give good advice and have good interaction across the board,

I stand by what I say at all times although not every one may agree and we all have our faults at times, as above as @scottish cleaning service if we were all the same it would be boring.  

Back