Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RSI right elbow

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Danfire

Been suffering for over five years now, sharp pain in my right elbow. Doctor said years ago it was a bursitis. I've tried everything, rest, physio, support, anti inflammatorys etc. 

I like to use the gym (weight lifting) but that usually makes it worse. I'm convinced the window cleaning has something to do with it, I wfp and trad, don't want to give up the cleaning but this constant pain is a drag.

Anyone on here (especially if you're middle aged) succeeded in overcoming the same issue? Any useful strategies I should consider? 

I had to Google this and found out it can be like tennis elbow when the issue is relating to the elbow try one of these Elbow Support  I had tennis elbow and this sorted it and I no longer suffer. 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Been suffering for over five years now, sharp pain in my right elbow. Doctor said years ago it was a bursitis. I've tried everything, rest, physio, support, anti inflammatorys etc. 

I like to use the gym (weight lifting) but that usually makes it worse. I'm convinced the window cleaning has something to do with it, I wfp and trad, don't want to give up the cleaning but this constant pain is a drag.

Anyone on here (especially if you're middle aged) succeeded in overcoming the same issue? Any useful strategies I should consider? 
If you find an answer let me know lol.

Doctors used to give me morphin and tradamol for my arthritis but but medications made me feel ****, approx 2 years ago I started taking fish oil capsules, turmeric capsaule and glocosamine tablets they help with the arthritis the first two are natural anti inflammatory, but don’t help with my tennis elbow.

I feel your pain mate the repetitive natural of our job just keeps aggravating it. 

My dads elderly golf pals all take glucosamine tablets for their joints, i used to work as a sports therapist the boss always took glucosamine,as tough job on arm joints. Turmeric supposed to be really good,as said already.  Try using a golfers elbow support if pain is on inside or tennis elbow on outside whilst working take off after,supports muscles so they dont expand when working,of course this is if its a muscular issue. Tendinosus can result over long term tendinitis,google that.

At the gym focus on building bigger forearms so that they take some of the load off of your arms further down.

When you’re doing bicep curls, pick up a weight that’s light enough you can do 3 sets of 8 reps without going above a pain threshold of 5. It’s important you aim to that 5 though as you want to be uncomfortable when you’re doing it. When you’re doing the exercise focus on the eccentric phase of the curl. I aim for around 4 seconds for the eccentric and 1 second for the concentric.You should feel the tendon working, It’ll be uncomfortable but it’s important you do that as it’s going to lead to blood filling the tendon. If you’re unable to complete that, go for a lighter weight. It’s an ego destroyer, when I decided to try fix my arms I went down from 22.5kg curls to 5kg but this is about recovery. 

Purchase a supplement called ‘hydrolysed collagen peptides’ I take 30grams after I get back from the gym and 30 grams before I go to bed. It tastes awful, so you’ll probably prefer it flavoured. 

I have an acumobility ball. It sticks to a bench or table, you stretch the offending limb then put your weight down through your elbow where it hurts (or as close to) then hold the stretch. 

I’ve had tendinosis in both arms from

window cleaning and weight lifting. I’ve had it for 3 years and at its worst I couldn’t move my arms after waking up in the morning without performing micro-movements of them both first for 5 minutes until they gradually eased up. The worst thing you can do when you have an issue like it is try to ‘man up’ and power through it, as I found out to my own detriment. 

Right now they’re pretty much as good as they’re going to get. I feel it if I’ve done a hard day and hit the gym but I’m fully functional. They’ll never be as good as they we’re before because when you damage tendons to the point they break down they’re replaced with an inferior type of collagen so always more prone to injury.

I hope it gets better for you mate! 

Quit the weight lifting for a month and get yourself an electric reel and xtreme pole(if you haven't already got them)....

What hours are you working?I do around 20-25 hours a week actually physically cleaning windows and another 5 hrs admin,chasing debts,purifying  water,etc per week....

I'm 48 and been window cleaning for 27 years(10yrs WFP)...I also train with weights in the gym 2 or 3 times a week and have done for 4 consecutive years now.....

I dont suffer with elbow pain but I bet the weight training is aggravating it.....lay off for a while and cut down your hours if your working too hard.....

Quit the weight lifting for a month and get yourself an electric reel and xtreme pole(if you haven't already got them)....

What hours are you working?I do around 20-25 hours a week actually physically cleaning windows and another 5 hrs admin,chasing debts,purifying  water,etc per week....

I'm 48 and been window cleaning for 27 years(10yrs WFP)...I also train with weights in the gym 2 or 3 times a week and have done for 4 consecutive years now.....

I dont suffer with elbow pain but I bet the weight training is aggravating it.....lay off for a while and cut down your hours if your working too hard.....
I clean for about the same amount of hours as you. Might have to try a total rest to see if I can get some healing done.

There was a guy on the news yesterday who is 90 years old this week and he was doing dead lifts etc and has won loads of competitions over the years and he started when he was 50 and his training buddy is 70 years old, younger lads in the gym were shocked at his age, puts me to shame doing nowt  ?

There was a guy on the news yesterday who is 90 years old this week and he was doing dead lifts etc and has won loads of competitions over the years and he started when he was 50 and his training buddy is 70 years old, younger lads in the gym were shocked at his age, puts me to shame doing nowt  ?
Doing nothing is not an option for me....I love the weight training....I also love to eat so the 2 go hand in hand....I can eat a lot without getting seriously obese.....

Back on topic to the original poster.it sounds like to me your not giving your elbow enough time to heal....just when it starts to get better your hammering it again....its either golfers elbow or tennis elbow(there is a difference).I'd also try a good sports physio.a guy sorted my back out in one session with acupuncture!

In the gym....stick to cardio if u insist on still going and leg work on the machines for a month or so....

I don't go down the gym. Life busy enough as is. All I do is use both arms and trad the odd job to ease muscle fatigue, eat healthy and most importantly stretch after work, loosen all the muscles and release any lactic acid build-up.

I had tennis and golfers elbow in my right elbow.

Just painful every day. 

I tried everything and in the end the only thing that sorted it was...buying lighter equipment. (I used to have an SLX, carbon gooseneck and radius sill brush). 

I purchased a Gardiners Xtreme pole, Extreme brushes, I even use 30m of Gardiners reinforced pole hose ON MY MAIN REEL to make it lighter. It worked for me.

I don't even think about my elbow now. 

Recently I purchased the Gardiners Extreme sill brush. Still too heavy for me, so I pulled out the bottom row of bristles (not actually needed) and drilled loads of holes in it. Less plastic reduces the weight. 

You've gotta do what you've gotta do!

I'm 48 and last year had problems with both shoulders. Was having to take time off work at times the pain was that bad! Started physio and that helped a little but wasn't till I stopped kettle bell training and bought lighter pole ect from what I had been using that it  started to go away. Also changed my wfp technique and tried to keep to it mindfully using body movement and legs ect trying to take the strain off the shoulders. I don't do any strength training now but do light yoga exersises/ light restoritive stuff and general stretching everyday. That's the best thing I've done as I'm getting older. My exersise is just walks these days and hill walking when I can go. I used to be full on doing all sorts. I've started to take it easy now. 

I used to weight train and used to get rsi in my elbow too. I found using the ionocore tennis elbow strap eased the pain by about 90%. Not sure if you e tried them but it worked for me.

Latest Posts

Back