Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pesticide (biocide) spay licsense - PA1 / PA6

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NoName

What's the best way to obtain this qualification ?

Who's done this - what did you pay with whom - anyone done it online???

I've done a bit of digging and reckon we're looking at £600 to obtain these qualifications - seems excessive - has anyone done this for less? I'm (wishing) thinking to do an online course - rattle thru the 'coursework' online and then sit an NFTC exam. We should be able to gen up on the detail online etc and sit the exam and pay the NFTC fee separately ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking into it and a place in Glasgow do it. I emailed them and they never got back to me. I might end up going to Scotland's Rural College in Ayr which seem's the best place to do it. Don't mind paying £600 because I will add it to my Softwashing jobs in future.

Aye (see what I did there) I hear you Scottish (btw I'm loving your sincerity) - but learning is really absorbing knowledge, which should/could just mean reading/covering off data online, which should mean a lower cost (what can be covered in a 'classroom'  as opposed to online?) Having been on lot's of corporate courses, I reason most of the data/knowledge, I could of read in book/online- hence I've really/(hoping) looking for a (good) online course

I did it years ago and think I paid around £250 felt it was a right  rip off , I should have renewed it years ago and never bothered , never been asked by anyone for proof that I can spray anything.

Fair enough Pjj (don't *think* it mandates renewing (think it's a lifetime qualification) - though training centres obviously offer 'refresher' - 'income earner' courses, I reckon it won't tell me anything (much) I already don't know - but I'll get a shinny certificate to show off to potential custy's ? it all helps get the 'sell' over the line - plus don't fancy a tap on shoulder from any 'council' Nazis  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough Pjj (don't *think* it mandates renewing (think it's a lifetime qualification) - though training centres obviously offer 'refresher' - 'income earner' courses, I reckon it won't tell me anything (much) I already don't know - but I'll get a shinny certificate to show off to potential custy's ? it all helps get the 'sell' over the line - plus don't fancy a tap on shoulder from any 'council' Nazis  
It was that long ago I did it but was told it had to be renewed every two or three years , I cannot even fund the original certificate ???

Pjj - 'Life time qualification City and Guilds NPTC' https://www.brooksbymelton.ac.uk/course/using-pesticides-safely-pa1-pa6/) - you clearly don't need a piece of paper to get the deal over the line ?  
Thanks for that it’s Intresting as far as I remember it wasn’t a c&g course that I did ?.. I do remember them saying that it needed renewing I had a credit card sized thing stating that I was qualified to spray and it did have an expiry date on it , but I cannot find the card it was that long ago ??

Think C&G 'own' the 'license' from the Gov to certify the exam - many third parties 'run' the course and then get a C&G examiner in to oversee the exam...what do I know I'm just sussing this stuff out...

Aye (see what I did there) I hear you Scottish (btw I'm loving your sincerity) - but learning is really absorbing knowledge, which should/could just mean reading/covering off data online, which should mean a lower cost (what can be covered in a 'classroom'  as opposed to online?) Having been on lot's of corporate courses, I reason most of the data/knowledge, I could of read in book/online- hence I've really/(hoping) looking for a (good) online course
I have done the course years ago , a few things I might add , the course is / was mostly practical and I think I was assessed as part of a practical exam and had a written exam which If i remember was more about the use of PPE and working conditions as opposed to any chemical or actual spraying knowledge .

During the course we were taught to mix solutions correctly IE a 5/1 being 5 parts of X to any one part of Z which would then make 6 ... if that makes sense(whereas some people might actually mix a 4/1) etc 

Then we were taught to guestimate wind speed and based on wind speed which nozzle we might choose - which also had a few variables  

Then we were taught a formula , something like - and I cant be assed to work out what is is but you will get the jist 

Distance ÷ walking speed + spray speed = amount of pesticide needed to cover the area 

Then we mixed up our pesticide walked about emptying our knapsacks and as long as we were somewhere empty at the end of our distance we had passed the practical.

I hope that makes sense. 

I don't do soft washing but if I were to get into it I would save that money and put it towards a soft wash course , from what I have read about soft washing myself I think that using the tools and application methods used I don't think the knowledge from the course is that useful or perhaps transferable is a better word. I understand your concerned about a council busy body tapping your shoulder but I think you would learn and gain very little from Pa1P6 for actually soft washing and until we need a certificate of some sort I wouldn't worry about it .

Thanks Ash for the comprehensive reply!

I've been on a softwash course and read a lot...been 'soft washing' for a 4-5 years now - so like you advise suspect the relevancy is somewhat limited to 'our' industry. 

I've got hold of the syllabus - will plough thru it

Was hoping in this day and age an online course would be available but still searching... 

Latest Posts

Back