Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

To start up or not start up, that is the question...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

sparedinner

So, may be the wrong forum not sure but here goes. I am looking into starting up in window/gutter/drive cleaning as I am pretty peed of with bathroom fitting right now.
In a nutshell I want something I can grow into multiple vans within a couple of years - this is to mainly give my 18 year old something to hopefully grow further when if/when
I retire.
I have talked to a franchise company and they seem a genuine bunch and have genuine success stories behind them BUT its a fair bit of money to start and quite large ongoing
royalty payments - I wont discuss this due to non disclosure etc.

My question or questions are - if I were to start up, perhaps part time between bathroom work, what is the best way to build a round fast (I'm know this has been asked a lot but
the general answer seems to be door knocking, which I hate done to me, so I'm reluctant to do that. In this internet/social media age there must now be a better way?

I have been playing around with Cleaner Planner - does anyone use this in their business ?

Any tips from recent start up ?

Thanks for your input guys and gals.

Sparedinner

Only you can decide if it’s good for you or not, as you already said the quickest way to build a round is by knocking which I don’t like doing either so I stick to leaflets. 

Don’t personally use Cleaner Planner but more than a few on here do along with Squeegee App.

Personal preference is pen and paper. 

Why don’t you build your bathroom fitting business up to multiple vans? 
don’t assume that it’s an easy feat to do it in window cleaning.

Why don’t you build your bathroom fitting business up to multiple vans? 
don’t assume that it’s an easy feat to do it in window cleaning.
I assume nothing. Cheap chinese suites as per Victoria Plumb now means customers think fitting should also be cheap. To do it right
and walk away happy and with a happy customer takes time and skill. I'm too OCD to let anyone work on my jobs so I will never be
comfortable with that. Also I want to set my lad up for the future, he does not like what I do and is bumbling about between things at the moment.

Have you done any research in your area? Different areas will have different outcomes. My area is fairly saturated with established and newbies. Are there many new houses being built, or due to be built?

If it was as easy as you seem to think it is everyone on here would be sitting behind their big desks planning when to put their next van on the road.

This job isn't easy, it's freezing in the winter and too hot in the summer and you need a different mindset to get up at 6 and set out to work at 7 when it's forecast to be -2 and -6 when the wind chill is taken in to account.

Have you done any research in your area? Different areas will have different outcomes. My area is fairly saturated with established and newbies. Are there many new houses being built, or due to be built?

If it was as easy as you seem to think it is everyone on here would be sitting behind their big desks planning when to put their next van on the road.

This job isn't easy, it's freezing in the winter and too hot in the summer and you need a different mindset to get up at 6 and set out to work at 7 when it's forecast to be -2 and -6 when the wind chill is taken in to account.
I dont think its easy, you only have to look at all the set ups for sale on Ebay to see that its not easy. I'm researching at the moment, hence my questions/advice seeking - maybe I'm in the wrong place !

It may not be the best time to start at the moment due to the current situation. Canvassing will be impossible, folk won't want you at the front door. 
Not with this cough ?

I assume nothing. Cheap chinese suites as per Victoria Plumb now means customers think fitting should also be cheap. To do it right
and walk away happy and with a happy customer takes time and skill. I'm too OCD to let anyone work on my jobs so I will never be
comfortable with that. Also I want to set my lad up for the future, he does not like what I do and is bumbling about between things at the moment.
Tbh, it looks like you are wanting to set up the business for your son and not really for yourself. When I was 18 I didn't know what I wanted to do and accidentally fell into joinery. It turned out it was the best thing that happened to me because I had a trade behind me. Told my younger brother to be an electrician and he got an apprenticeship and it was the best thing that happened to him. Two years ago I fell well my old window cleaner fell off his ladder and never came back so I did mine and my neighbours and the rest is history. I am now making good money at window, pvc, driveway, conservatory cleaning and the odd joinery work. Woman pulled me in today after cleaning her windows to take a look at her sliding door on fitted wardrobe. Fixed it within 15mins and she gave me a score as my tools are always in my van. I have spent £40k in two years and worked 6 days a week to get where I am and anyone can do it if they have the time and money. What happens if your son doesn't like window cleaning? I would sit down and have a talk with him and see what he likes doing and go down that path. fwiw

I dont think its easy, you only have to look at all the set ups for sale on Ebay to see that its not easy. I'm researching at the moment, hence my questions/advice seeking - maybe I'm in the wrong place !
With covid 19 I think those of us that are well established with multi van buisness are going to struggle the same as everyone else , we won’t be doing much work for quite a while so for someone looking to start up I don’t think it would be possible or a wise move for. some months to come , as for building a multi van operation I think you are trying to run before you can walk some questions to consider are 

how many existing window cleaners are in my area 

what set up are you going to use ,backpack,van mount ? 

Whats your TDS ? This will determine what type of filtration you will need .

where are you going to get your staff from  ? How are you going to train them with no experience yourself ? Cleaning windows isn’t rocket science but it does take time to understand how to clean different types of window . 

Why do you want multiple vans ?. 

Dont want to be rude or negative but there are a lot of things to take into consideration before jumping in with both feet and it will take evan longer to earn good money some on hear do earn very well but they have been going many years and started before the modern glut of cleaners started so already have well established rounds it’s more difficult to build compact rounds nowadays due to the new start ups . All the best if you do decide to start up .

I don't think you are in the wrong place just, not getting the answers you want to hear is the more probable answer, you want to make a future for your young boy which is commendable but, I never knew what I wanted to be at 18 or 40 or 45, I fell into window cleaning at just over 40 as it suited my lifestyle then-ie very little mortgage and the need to stop working 60 hours plus a week and window cleaning would give me the same amount of money for half the hours worked.

let your boy find what he wants to do in his life, its his life after all not yours, i'm sorry if this is not the response you want to hear but being honest give your head a wobble and let the boy find his own way with guidance he'll come out fine.

dont think its easy, you only have to look at all the set ups for sale on Ebay to see that its not easy. I'm researching at the moment, hence my questions/advice seeking - maybe I'm in the wrong place !
Your initial post seems to think that despite reading up about canvassing being the best and quickest way to build a business you don't like it happening to you so you don't want to do it.

You then put your notion forward that by working part time that this some how will grow quicker. The only way to build a business, quickly, in this game is to commit 110% of your time and energy into it.

This is by far and away the most helpful site you'll find on the internet but ignoring what people, that have built succesful businesses from scratch, have said probably isn't the best thing to do.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go and keep asking questions. My only other advice is if you ask, listen.

... And there won't be much scope to run a multi van business if you buy a franchise.  You will have the cost of royalties, salaries and vat over and above your "one man band" competition... 

window cleaning ant what it used to be to many doing it now and prices are getting lower and lower i no guys charging £300 for roof cleaning power washing buildings down for £50 cleaning big houses for £6 /£8 its just nuts on top of all that wether been so bad this year and now this virus ☹️ as they say grass ant allways greener on other side 

I don't think your in the wrong place. This group is a very encouraging one. However with the virus your going to struggle to build.  Everyone's panicking and don't want someone new at there door.  

Truthfully I doubt anyone of our businesses will get through this unscathed. 

Iv done this over 20 years and never seen the public so scared, so a new start up has little to no chance.  Once the dust has settled itll be a different story

Definitely don't bother until this virus situation starts to ease. Starting a window cleaning business is hard enough but atm forget it. 

As for having loads of vans with staff, yeh it all sounds great until you start employing. Absolute ball ache. 

Franchising is actually a good way to go, stress free In return for a slightly lower income. I'm looking to franchise my business soon but will be holding fire on that plan for a few months. 

Back