Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Horrible windows to clean...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Macclesfield

Is it just me or does anyone else hate windows like the ones in the picture??

I am pretty new to wfp and I am obsessed with making sure there’s no water drips on the black rubber seal after rinsing. I’ve convinced myself that if there are drips left on the black rubber seal, they drip down the glass and cause marks.. So I usually turn my water off and catch the drips with my brush, or use the top of my brush to catch them while I’m cleaning the window..

Is it normal to do that, or am I completely wasting my time..? Lol. 

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Luke. 

5137E8A7-8CC1-450D-9B49-5A42A758AD65.jpeg

I am pretty new to wfp and I am obsessed with making sure there’s no water drips on the black rubber seal after rinsing. I’ve convinced myself that if there are drips left on the black rubber seal, they drip down the glass and cause marks.. So I usually turn my water off and catch the drips with my brush, or use the top of my brush to catch them while I’m cleaning the window..

Thanks, Luke. 

View attachment 19722
 Im sure i do similar and just do them as normal, frames first, then quick scrub of glass, then rinse down the panes. (top panes first of course) should be fine. if continuously trouble for some reason, and they werent happy id just have to leave that particular job. but it should be fine.

I do a large newbuild with these window's that the boss has just bought round the corner from his office block  of which I do, I like the block as it's fairly easy and a good earner but these types of windows are awkward and I definitely won't be chapping the estate.

I do old ones like that but have lead all over them. Got pulled up a few times due to the degreaser and first clean. Windows are old and I told the customer the units are the problem. They seemed okay with it but I wasn't bothered if I got the bump because I can't do anything with them.

Thanks, Luke. 

View attachment 19722
Your worrying too much Luke.

That window is a 20 to 30 seconds job, slightly longer possibly for first wash. Here goes in the order I would do it: Two swipes across the sill, once around the frames. Top left glass 2 to 3 circular passes making sure to sweep out the 4 corners, continue along with the next panes at the top, work the same way down on the next level and so on. A quick swipe up into the bottom of the top (opening) frame as you work your way down. Finish with a couple of swipes across the sill. Key points: water stays on the whole time, pressure/flow stays high, brush never leaves the window, circular agitations are easier and quicker on small panes, as there's no stopping and reversing of direction. The circular motion rinses at the same time as the agitation. 

You should not have a problem from the seals as the window looks fairly new. If they're likely to cause a problem you will see an inky looking runoff on the white frame below the bottom of the glass if you give the rubber a a firm, quick swipe or two.  If you do, keep washing it out and make sure to rinse it all off. Don't wait for anything to dry. Move on and take a look back to reassure yourself. 

Please let us know how you get on. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your worrying too much Luke.

That window is a 20 to 30 seconds job, slightly longer possibly for first wash. Here goes in the order I would do it: Two swipes across the sill, once around the frames. Top left glass 2 to 3 circular passes making sure to sweep out the 4 corners, continue along with the next panes at the top, work the same way down on the next level and so on. A quick swipe up into the bottom of the top (opening) frame as you work your way down. Finish with a couple of swipes across the sill. Key points: water stays on the whole time, pressure/flow stays high, brush never leaves the window, circular agitations are easier and quicker on small panes, as there's no stopping and reversing of direction. The circular motion rinses at the same time as the agitation. 

You should not have a problem from the seals as the window looks fairly new. If they're likely to cause a problem you will see an inky looking runoff on the white frame below the bottom of the glass if you give the rubber a a firm, quick swipe or two.  If you do, keep washing it out and make sure to rinse it all off. Don't wait for anything to dry. Move on and take a look back to reassure yourself. 

Please let us know how you get on. ?
I appreciate your advise! ?

I probably am worrying too much. ?

So if the rubber seal is cleaned and after the clean there’s still drips on the seal. When the drips fall down the glass will they not leave marks..? 

Yes I’ll let you know how I get on! Thanks. ?

I appreciate your advise! ?

I probably am worrying too much. ?

So if the rubber seal is cleaned and after the clean there’s still drips on the seal. When the drips fall down the glass will they not leave marks..? 

Yes I’ll let you know how I get on! Thanks. ?
You're very welcome.

As long as it's cleaned and rinsed properly you should have no problems, as long as the drips are clear they won't cause any problems. It can be nerve wracking in the early days but it gets easier. ??

You're very welcome.

As long as it's cleaned and rinsed properly you should have no problems, as long as the drips are clear they won't cause any problems. It can be nerve wracking in the early days but it gets easier. ??
Cheers bud. ? I’ll give that technique a try, I’m sure it will save me a lot of time!! ?

When you rinse do you just rinse the glass without touching the top frame and seal?

I would scrub top left first, then top right, then bottom left, then bottom right then rinse them all with a good flow bud. 

Could someone explain why you do the sills first? Would that not get dirt on the brush? 

An then the dirt transfers onto the windys, I can't see the logic in it? 

I would scrub top left first, then top right, then bottom left, then bottom right then rinse them all with a good flow bud. 

Could someone explain why you do the sills first? Would that not get dirt on the brush? 

Hi Francie, Good question.

A couple of swipes across the sill first is my own "homebrew" developed technique through trial, and from experience gained. The reason is that it breaks the dry crust on the dirt and dust, which then allows the water in, to start softening it and some of the dirt will start running off as the window above is being washed. It is only a very quick preliminary phase (2 or 3 seconds). It is not intended to get the sill fully clean. Then continuing exactly as I described in my initial post: window wash and rinse, then finish with a thorough wash of the sill to get the remaining dirt off. Any dirt finding it's way from the sill to the brush before washing the window is going to find it's way on to the brush just the same whenever you do the sill. No problem, it will wash off the window. Anything that sticks to the brush can be flicked of with a couple of quick swipes across the bristles with the fingers while the water is on. 20 - 30 seconds, window done, stride on to the next one. ?

Apologies :I just re-read my initial post and realised I forgot to say finish off with the sill.

Hi Francie, Good question.

A couple of swipes across the sill first is my own "homebrew" developed technique through trial, and from experience gained. The reason is that it breaks the dry crust on the dirt and dust, which then allows the water in, to start softening it and some of the dirt will start running off as the window above is being washed. It is only a very quick preliminary phase (2 or 3 seconds). It is not intended to get the sill fully clean. Then continuing exactly as I described in my initial post: window wash and rinse, then finish with a thorough wash of the sill to get the remaining dirt off. Any dirt finding it's way from the sill to the brush before washing the window is going to find it's way on to the brush just the same whenever you do the sill. No problem, it will wash off the window. Anything that sticks to the brush can be flicked of with a couple of quick swipes across the bristles with the fingers while the water is on. 20 - 30 seconds, window done, stride on to the next one. ?

Apologies :I just re-read my initial post and realised I forgot to say finish off with the sill.
Goodman @Davy G for once again explaining cheers bud

The amount of water most use on here it’s a waste of time starting on the sills. Could cause scratching of the sill plus just waste of time and water. Always start at the top with nice clean brush.  

The amount of water most use on here it’s a waste of time starting on the sills. Could cause scratching of the sill plus just waste of time and water. Always start at the top with nice clean brush.  
Aye, as my mate the painter told me. Always begin at the ceiling and work your way down because of gravity. I take same approach with window cleaning and softwashing, I work with gravity and not against it. fwiw

Aye, as my mate the painter told me. Always begin at the ceiling and work your way down because of gravity. I take same approach with window cleaning and softwashing, I work with gravity and not against it. fwiw
I don't think either of you two have read the fine details in my posts, or tried my method.

The starting on the sills is just a couple of quick swipes to let the water in to soften the dirt and has been blown out of proportion in your comments. I then wash the window, then finish off the sill. I absolutely work with gravity and I've never scratched a sill. Nor do I I ever waste time or water. I wouldn't be doing a window like that in 30 seconds max if I was wasting time.

My technique is shown on a one minute youtube clip : 100 degree fan jets in action. I was not on full form when it was recorded (I was  in the middle of chemo) so I was a bit flat footed and lethargic.

I have experimented with several different techniques and this is the one I settled on because it's the one that suits me best for speed, reliability, efficiency, water saving and resulting quality. 

I can't remember the last time I had a complaint. ?

Back