Jump to content
paul1

Much difference between slx 22 & clx22?

Recommended Posts

paul1

Hi guys is there all that much difference between an slx 22 and clx 22 gardiner pole? And is the price difference worth the slx? Who would use which pole?? 

 

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
padman

I have both and I have to say a massive YES it is worth the extra 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
paul1
5 hours ago, padman said:

I have both and I have to say a massive YES it is worth the extra 🙂

Really? In what ways mate? 

Share this post


Link to post
padman

The CLX is like a floppy thing anything over 18ft in my opiniom. The SLX is much stiffer so a lot nicer to use. If you go down the clx route as i did when I started out, just get the lightest brush you can, it will make your day a lot nicer.

I really do recommend the SLX above the CLX - its just a much nicer pole for every day use..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Marko067

Speaking from the perspective of a long time user (12 years WFP) I would always recommend the lighter over the heavier no matter how small the difference may seem to be on paper. In the long run the lighter pole will cause less wear and tear on your body.

You also waste a lot of energy using a more flexible pole over the more rigid ones. 

As has been said though if budget dictates the CLX which is still a good pole for the money, go for the lightest brush.

Share this post


Link to post
strech
Posted (edited)

I have the 18 clx and 27 slx two different beasts the 18 on full extent is very flexible where is the 27 holds its ground. At the end of the day its down to price and fatigue of use.

Edited by strech

Share this post


Link to post
Ashley Brown
On 18/03/2020 at 08:05, paul1 said:

Hi guys is there all that much difference between an slx 22 and clx 22 gardiner pole? And is the price difference worth the slx? Who would use which pole?? 

 

Cheers 

Definitely worth buying one .as the Slx is far more rigid 

Share this post


Link to post
BWC

I posted a similar topic a few months back and got a lot of great advice from everyone on here. I started off with a CLX 27 second hand. Then a couple of months ago I got myself a SLX 22 based on all of the advice I received. 

The SLX was well worth the extra cash. It’s stronger and a lot more rigid. With the CLX I was fighting with the flex and bounce a lot. When I wanted to get a bit more pressure on the upper frames and sills it just wouldn’t allow it as the pressure would gather where it started to flex and not reach the intended point. The weight of it added onto that made it hard work (although I knew no different) until I made the upgrade. 

With the lighter and more rigid SLX I can apply that extra pressure with barely any flex at all, the bounce is almost non existent which means greater control, better cleaning and it has sped my working times up on my rounds compared to the CLX. Also them awkward windows over obstructions the CLX with its flex was a battle and I was sure I was going to snap the pole. This is another area the SLX comes into its own. A lot of people from the feedback I got on here also say the SLX lasts, it’s strong and resilient. When looking for second hand SLX’s I noticed they seem to hold their value too for whenever you decide to upgrade again. 

If it’s within your budget I would go for the SLX, because in the long run you will end up getting a carbon pole anyway 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
1 hour ago, BWC said:

I posted a similar topic a few months back and got a lot of great advice from everyone on here. I started off with a CLX 27 second hand. Then a couple of months ago I got myself a SLX 22 based on all of the advice I received. 

The SLX was well worth the extra cash. It’s stronger and a lot more rigid. With the CLX I was fighting with the flex and bounce a lot. When I wanted to get a bit more pressure on the upper frames and sills it just wouldn’t allow it as the pressure would gather where it started to flex and not reach the intended point. The weight of it added onto that made it hard work (although I knew no different) until I made the upgrade. 

With the lighter and more rigid SLX I can apply that extra pressure with barely any flex at all, the bounce is almost non existent which means greater control, better cleaning and it has sped my working times up on my rounds compared to the CLX. Also them awkward windows over obstructions the CLX with its flex was a battle and I was sure I was going to snap the pole. This is another area the SLX comes into its own. A lot of people from the feedback I got on here also say the SLX lasts, it’s strong and resilient. When looking for second hand SLX’s I noticed they seem to hold their value too for whenever you decide to upgrade again. 

If it’s within your budget I would go for the SLX, because in the long run you will end up getting a carbon pole anyway 👍🏼

Glad you're enjoying the SLX 22. it's a super around pole for up to two storey houses and can also do some 3 level ones. I can't comment on the CLX as I've never used one.

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
30 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Glad you're enjoying the SLX 22. it's a super around pole for up to two storey houses and can also do some 3 level ones. I can't comment on the CLX as I've never used one.

It really is. I’ve reached ground, first and second floors on townhouses with mine. Just looking at getting a pure freedom trolley now to handle a school contract I’ve managed to get! 

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
2 minutes ago, BWC said:

It really is. I’ve reached ground, first and second floors on townhouses with mine. Just looking at getting a pure freedom trolley now to handle a school contract I’ve managed to get! 

Good for you. I can't comment on the PF trolley either as I know nothing about it. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
1 minute ago, Davy G said:

Good for you. I can't comment on the PF trolley either as I know nothing about it. 😊

It was mentioned in a thread a started the other day that my Gardiner backpack won’t work constantly all day on the job so would need to cut my days short so that is my thinking of going for a PF trolley 

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
Just now, BWC said:

It was mentioned in a thread a started the other day that my Gardiner backpack won’t work constantly all day on the job so would need to cut my days short so that is my thinking of going for a PF trolley 

I remember the conversation. You're aiming to get a van when you have the finances. 🙂👍

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
Just now, Davy G said:

I remember the conversation. You're aiming to get a van when you have the finances. 🙂👍

That’s the one! Eventually yes and it seems the pure freedom has most of the components to turn it into a van system. I’ve got a reel so all I’d need is a tank 

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BWC said:

That’s the one! Eventually yes and it seems the pure freedom has most of the components to turn it into a van system. I’ve got a reel so all I’d need is a tank 

That's good. Tanks come up fairly cheaply second hand at times. Trouble is it's not a lot of help to you till you know what van you will have for dimensions and weight limits. Sods law, when you know that there might not be a suitable tank available. You never know though, you might be lucky. Possibly someone on the forum might have one left over from an upgrade.

Edited by Davy G

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
5 hours ago, Davy G said:

That's good. Tanks come up fairly cheaply second hand at times. Trouble is it's not a lot of help to you till you know what van you will have for dimensions and weight limits. Sods law, when you know that there might not be a suitable tank available. You never know though, you might be lucky. Possibly someone on the forum might have one left over from an upgrade.

I think as a short term fix it may just be a Astra van with the biggest tank it will allow. I’ve just purchased the PF trolley this afternoon.. god I hate spending money 🤢 🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
1 minute ago, BWC said:

I think as a short term fix it may just be a Astra van with the biggest tank it will allow. I’ve just purchased the PF trolley this afternoon.. god I hate spending money 🤢 🤦‍♂️

I know mate, especially when things can be very tight starting out. It gets a bit  easier as you start building and have a bit more money to invest. Don't forget you can put it against your tax bill.

Hope the trolley is very lucky for you. 🙂👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
6 minutes ago, Davy G said:

I know mate, especially when things can be very tight starting out. It gets a bit  easier as you start building and have a bit more money to invest. Don't forget you can put it against your tax bill.

Hope the trolley is very lucky for you. 🙂👍

 

Thanks @Davy G appreciate you always replying and becoming almost my online mentor! 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.