Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cheek of some people

WCF

Help Support WCF:

OnPoint

Went to do a first clean on a new customer today in a 4 Bedroom Detached. 

The interaction went like...

“Knock Knock” 

Her - Hello?

Me - Hi, Window Cleaner.

Her - Ok..

Me - Shall I just get started and give you a tap once done?

Her - Yes, but I would like the frames cleaned aswell.

Me - That’s fine there cleaned as standard along with your doors.

Her - Ok... and closes door.

Me - Walks round to the rear of the property to have a look.

Her - reappears in the rear garden.

Me - Hi, you never mentioned when I ask about having an extension. 

Her - Does is matter if it has an extension?

Me - Of course it matters as it’s not a standard 4 Bedroom Detached. 

Her - Oh ok, anyway as your cleaning the windows can you also clean all that muck off below the window?

Me - Of course I can but it’ll cost.

Her - What do you mean?

Me - Well I’m here to clean the windows not the cladding that’s a different service.

Her - But your already up there so you can give it a quick clean.

Me - Eh no, by all means you can give it a quick clean but I won’t be touching it.

Her - Sorry?

Me - Don’t worry I’ll give this a skip thanks...

Her - *staring at me*

Me - Enjoy the rest of your day and walks off.

Cheekiest one I’ve had for a long while. ?

Went to do a first clean on a new customer today in a 4 Bedroom Detached. 

The interaction went like...

“Knock Knock” 

Her - Hello?

Me - Hi, Window Cleaner.

Her - Ok..

Me - Shall I just get started and give you a tap once done?

Her - Yes, but I would like the frames cleaned aswell.

Me - That’s fine there cleaned as standard along with your doors.

Her - Ok... and closes door.

Me - Walks round to the rear of the property to have a look.

Her - reappears in the rear garden.

Me - Hi, you never mentioned when I ask about having an extension. 

Her - Does is matter if it has an extension?

Me - Of course it matters as it’s not a standard 4 Bedroom Detached. 

Her - Oh ok, anyway as your cleaning the windows can you also clean all that muck off below the window?

Me - Of course I can but it’ll cost.

Her - What do you mean?

Me - Well I’m here to clean the windows not the cladding that’s a different service.

Her - But your already up there so you can give it a quick clean.

Me - Eh no, by all means you can give it a quick clean but I won’t be touching it.

Her - Sorry?

Me - Don’t worry I’ll give this a skip thanks...

Her - *staring at me*

Me - Enjoy the rest of your day and walks off.

Cheekiest one I’ve had for a long while. ?
On reflection what are your thoughts on your experience with that customer/job? 

My personal feeling, from what you've written, is that you could've gone about things differently and ended up with a satisfied customer and more money in your pocket. 

On reflection what are your thoughts on your experience with that customer/job? 

My personal feeling, from what you've written, is that you could've gone about things differently and ended up with a satisfied customer and more money in your pocket. 
Highly doubt that. She was clearly after freebies on a first clean so clear indication she wasn’t even worth the hassle.

messer 

Messer - maybe. 

This is intended to be helpful. Not picky and not antagonistic. And I am making a couple of assumptions. Forgive me if those assumptions are incorrect. And I'm not 'backing' the customer. Just suggesting that you have a number of things that you can control - granted customers are not one of those factors. 

It sounds from your transcript that you didn't view the job before agreeing to take it on. It also sounds like a full conversation with the customer wasn't had before you agreed to take on the job. 

If you view the job for yourself, with the customer and then discuss with the customer exactly what they want you'll solve some problems. You'll know exactly what the job entails and from that you'll know how much to quote for it. The customer then either agrees or not to the quoted price. Either way you're not turning up to then have the conversation you did, waste your time and then walk away with no money. 

Plus there's the added risk that your reputation may be negatively affected by things that may be said. People talk. And she may be calling you a messer or whatever to her friends, family and neighbours. Doesn't really matter or not if you are, you may well feel and be completely justified, if that's her perception and she spreads it about you'll have your reputation smeared. 

I find that the more you help some people especially lowering the price then they take advantage of this and begin to push for more. Once I began to work for someone with money and who respects my work and willing to pay me £200 a day without question then I realised my business world had changed. I don't put up with messers now as I don't need them. What benefit do they bring to my company? Nothing, so I avoid them. When they text I text back I'm too busy if they are persistent then I text back "Sorry no can do" and leave it at that. They soon get the message and look to pester someone else.

Back