Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

Markyboy 50

As the title says. I’m not sure whether to turn out or not. I don’t want people looking at me like I’m a money grabbing twerp while they’re indoors self isolating. On the other hand I don’t wanna stay at home and then find out everyone else went to work. What’s everyone doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked all customers what they wanted me to do. Vast majority replied asking me to continue. Had 2 say not to, on medical grounds, and one  on financial
I'm out all week at one job but I am still getting a call through Checkatrade everyday. I think folk are bored and catching up on things in the house and looking through the internet.

I shall go, but with much more care. Texting all customers to leave money out or better still, bank transfer. 
I will be constantly washing my hands.

Don’t just think of the cash lads, be responsible and take extra measures please.

Just a thought, how the hell are places like retail centres allowed open? I have Thurrock and Blue Water very close to me and bet they are reasonably busy with selfish ******* clothes shopping ??

Going to get my exercise bike out the shed later and service it as it hasn’t been used in years. I think it will be needed as I reckon a lockdown will be announced in the next week or two.

Do you chaps think a lockdown will be announced? It’s happening to the rest of Europe ???‍?

Good to wear tru touch gloves and try and avoid touching our face. China is getting back to normal after the lockdown so it proves it works. It all depends if the contamination continues to expand exponentially. Italy is in a hell of a state many due to all their kissing when they meet each other. I'm out today having my long awaited big clear out of my lockup, shed and van.

I shall go, but with much more care. Texting all customers to leave money out or better still, bank transfer. 
I will be constantly washing my hands.

Don’t just think of the cash lads, be responsible and take extra measures please.

Just a thought, how the hell are places like retail centres allowed open? I have Thurrock and Blue Water very close to me and bet they are reasonably busy with selfish ******* clothes shopping ??

Going to get my exercise bike out the shed later and service it as it hasn’t been used in years. I think it will be needed as I reckon a lockdown will be announced in the next week or two.

Do you chaps think a lockdown will be announced? It’s happening to the rest of Europe ???‍?
Yeh I’m getting my bike out later, haven’t been on it since last summer. 

Regarding a lockdown, very hard to say.
Like nearly everybody else, I could probably handle two weeks of nothing, but not 1-3 months like what some people are whispering. 

I really am in two minds  I've changed my mind at least 3 times this morning all ready.  I just don't want to get it and pass it on to my mum or a costumer.        Cant imagine the feeling of someone dieing because I give it to them. 

I don’t want people looking at me like I’m a money grabbing twerp while they’re indoors self isolating.
I'll happily look like a money grabbing twerp as I ain't getting 80% of my wage paid to me also the vast majority are still carrying on as normal so we are simply no different and we have far less contact with people in our jobs than shop workers factory workers and so on.

Do you chaps think a lockdown will be announced? It’s happening to the rest of Europe
Yes it's coming I think Boris is softening the blow and doing things in stages so them in charge and us the general public have the time to plan,

we are ramping up stuff down our allotment and getting stuff done ahead of time as much as we can, not sure if we won't be allowed down the allotment in a lock down, hope so as bought as we bought a cheap poly tunnel yesterday, I'll happily set up raised beds on our lawn if needs be, so we can have fresh veg. 

Surely we’re all going to work until we’re told officially we can’t.? Obviously being extra safe.

I sent a mass email & text round this week. Just saying no internal cleans, bacs is preferred, and if anyone is showing symptoms & isolating let me know and I’ll re arrange for 2 weeks time etc. I haven’t had one cancellation at all yet. Well I had two (new driveway being done, and another house being painted) 

Lucky, or just still a bit early yet?  
It’s going to get worse before it’s gets better that’s for sure.

On a positive tip.

Thing is we're not money grabbing £$£% - we provide a service many many custies absolutely want to be done - and don't want to risk 'losing us' - it's not like we deploy sharp sales practices/twist anyone's arm to get us to call...we provide a no doubt professional needed service/suite of services and custies appreciate and value that!

As we know it's actually hard to get reliable, conscious windies - given the transint nature of many windies (not those on here of course ? ) - it's easy to *think* they may not want us there - but that's not been mine or anyone's overwhelming experience so far on here..in fact I had a roof cleaning custy ask if she could bring hers FORWARD to April (currently in May) as her hols have now been corna-cancelled and they are now unexpectedly at home (Sorry schedule is already full)

My only 'postponing' so far has been a 96 yo lady who is frail - and even then she asked *me* what did I think - should 'we postpone the next one' - I explained the steps I was taking - and said I would be happy with whatever the she felt was best...no pressure. (I'm santisering/washing/social distancing/communicating via phone (even when on the property - i.e little /no personal interaction).

I guess now is when the 'relationships' we've developed with our custies will really pay dividends - most of mine (can't speak for anyone else obviously, but sure its that same) see me as 'friend' (been invited to dinner parties/fetes/fishing trips/stay in holiday home/ etc...who else calls so regular and has such access to peoples houses/grounds (even gardeners are not as regular as us)...I've invested time having chat's with them when I call asking about the family/hols/operation etc...

We shouldn't forget the reason they hired us is because they don't like their windows looking dirty - many will be spending a lot of time now looking thru them so those that really love clean windows will really appreciate us now more than ever (apart from maybe xmas ? ) 

Chin up and don't project - 'rejection' and it's less likely to happen

It’s a difficult one at the moment we are continuing to work but will review it daily if told not to then we will stop , we have very little contact with most customers, if fact we are busier than normal , haven’t had a single job cancel but expecting hotels to be postponing work unthinkable is over , ime very lucky and could easily go 6 months with out any financial difficulties I don’t want to but could worst case scenario, again we’re we live I thing it’s totally Duffy for work than in some inner city area , only 15 cases in the whole of Cornwall so not a big issue hear at the moment 

I'm not, although that is for the sake of my youngest son. He has a chronic lung condition and is high risk. We have been isolating for a few days now,only me or my partner leaving the house to get essentials from the small local shops. From tomorrow we are going into a self imposed quarantine for 12 weeks. Going to be very tough but it's a small price to pay for my sons well being. I've text all of my customers and all bar a few have wished me and the family well. If I lose customers over it they are not the sort of customers that I want anyway. Best wishes to all. 

Latest Posts

Back