Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not using membrane for weeks

Rickadoo

Anyone know the effect of not using our membranes for weeks is going to have on them? I was thinking of maybe if we are off for weeks it would be worth running it for half an hour or so a week and just using the water to wash the van or water plants etc or chucking it if the tank gets too full. Wondering what you guys think,  @doug atkinson do you have any advice?

Wonder about this too, I'm going to run mine for a few hours (450gpd from daqua) and into the ibc. Doing small runs should (fingers crossed) keep it all fresh in these challenging times.

Membranes don't like not being used for more than a week or 2.

Even if you just put it on flush for half hour every week it should stop any damage.

When I last had a 2 week holiday abroad I got my brother to come round and turn the tap on for half hour once a week while he feeds the cat

Flush for 30 mins or so twice a week to avoid any algae growing and damaging the membranes
How does algi grow in a dark environment? From my school days which was a long time ago it was always said  for algi to grow it needs sun light it grows by photosynthesis, , if however you put red blood sells in the water then it can grow in a dark environment but that’s not very likely in an ro system .

I aquired one that had not been used for many months along with some other equipment when a windy gave up. Despite having been unused for a long time it functioned perfectly. I would however recomend running a bit of water through them regularly to be safe.

Back