Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scotish window cleaners are allowed to work

No we don't... We need Borris to say outright we can't work and pay those that are eligible 80% like the employed. People need to smarten up and STOP GOING OUT. The NHS is screwed at the moment, no beds, no ppe, nothing. My Mrs is a paramedic and turned up to work this morning with 2 masks on board.... Not enough to even cover both of them and a patient. The fire brigade is struggling more and more by the day due to sickness and it's all only going to get worse if people keep going out. I have suspended operations as of this morning (I realise I'm in a lucky position to do this having the 2 incomes, which is why I hope Borris can support those of you that are self employed) as the only way this will stop is if people respect the isolation.

Footnote, I have received great praise from customers for "doing the right thing" with more than one offering to continue payments during this period...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out for 2 hours . Customers were all ok with me to be honest but I got a lot of  strange looks like I was doing something wrong and I stared to feel guilty and then someone shouted out of there car that I should be home. As soon as I heard that, I downed tools and went home ?

wNo we don't... We need Borris to say outright we can't work and pay those that are eligible 80% like the employed. People need to smarten up and STOP GOING OUT. The NHS is screwed at the moment, no beds, no ppe, nothing. My Mrs is a paramedic and turned up to work this morning with 2 masks on board.... Not enough to even cover both of them and a patient. The fire brigade is struggling more and more by the day due to sickness and it's all only going to get worse if people keep going out. I have suspended operations as of this morning (I realise I'm in a lucky position to do this having the 2 incomes, which is why I hope Borris can support those of you that are self employed) as the only way this will stop is if people respect the isolation.

Footnote, I have received great praise from customers for "doing the right thing" with more than one offering to continue payments during this period...

so if we can go out  will this effect us  if we look for  help with payments from the government.  will they say you can go out.    so you are not allowed anything

If we decide not to go out , will we be entitled to anything

I am a Scottish window cleaner who runs a Ltd company with 4 workers. Even though Nicola Sturgeon has made this decision, I feel it is the wrong one. We should be home and avoid arriving at people’s homes who are self isolating. It’s a slap in the face to the bigger picture. Our work is not essential. The windows will be there in 3 weeks or however long.

The government will sort payment for Sole Traders by the end of the week. I would imagine in line with the PAYE workers (80% salary). Likely based on previous income made in months previous.

Your reputation is at risk as the public’s view on trades and people being out and about is changing rapidly. It’s not worth it.

Do the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone will as you say “do the right thing” when they know they are financially sound via the governments decision until that point people will still go to work down to the uncertainty. 

so if we can go out  will this effect us  if we look for  help with payments from the government.  will they say you can go out.    so you are not allowed anything

If we decide not to go out , will we be entitled to anything
That’s the million dollar question !,, who knows ???

Latest Posts

Back