Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure freedom controller gone faulty any idea's?

Chris34

On a first clean today and the bloody controller decided to play up, basically I pressed the button to reduce the flow from 60 to get it down to 10 but it didn't stop at 10, it kept going all the way to 0.  I pressed to turn the machine off and it just flashed up 'batt' 'off' and was flicking between the two.  I removed the fuse and placed it back in and it went back to the 60 setting that it was on and the pump was running but the numbers just continued to count down to zero.  I've taken the cover off and the switches click like you would expect, no obvious sign of anything amiss, rang pure freedom and they suggested that it needed repair, anybody got any ideas of anything to try before I buy a new one?  Happened at a really bad time, I'm struggling for funds as it is. 

On a first clean today and the bloody controller decided to play up, basically I pressed the button to reduce the flow from 60 to get it down to 10 but it didn't stop at 10, it kept going all the way to 0.  I pressed to turn the machine off and it just flashed up 'batt' 'off' and was flicking between the two.  I removed the fuse and placed it back in and it went back to the 60 setting that it was on and the pump was running but the numbers just continued to count down to zero.  I've taken the cover off and the switches click like you would expect, no obvious sign of anything amiss, rang pure freedom and they suggested that it needed repair, anybody got any ideas of anything to try before I buy a new one?  Happened at a really bad time, I'm struggling for funds as it is. 
Someone else had a problem with their controller. Ian suggested to remove the inline fuse between the controller and battery and leave it out for at least 5 mins. Then replace the fuse. If this does not resolve the issue he would ask that the controller is returned to Spring for inspection so they can see what has happened to it.

Hi Chris thank you for the message. The controller has a fault that is for sure and in this case I do not think the hard rest( Pulling the fuse) will help. I did have a chat with Pure Freedom yesterday about a controller showing what you have described. The controller does need to come back to us directly so we can check it out. Please return to Spring (Europe) Ltd Unit 9 April Court Sybron way Crowborough TN6 3DZ. We are operating the workshop with a skeleton staff and will do our best to sort this quickly with Pure Freedom. Also Please can I have the serial number that is on the side of the controller, This will help us flag this for the workshop

Hi Chris thank you for the message. The controller has a fault that is for sure and in this case I do not think the hard rest( Pulling the fuse) will help. I did have a chat with Pure Freedom yesterday about a controller showing what you have described. The controller does need to come back to us directly so we can check it out. Please return to Spring (Europe) Ltd Unit 9 April Court Sybron way Crowborough TN6 3DZ. We are operating the workshop with a skeleton staff and will do our best to sort this quickly with Pure Freedom. Also Please can I have the serial number that is on the side of the controller, This will help us flag this for the workshop
Hi Ian,

At one time many failures with controllers were due to water ingress and reverse polarity connecting the controller up to the battery.

If we accidentally connect the battery terminals up incorrectly will this cause the controller to go completely dead?

I appreciate that this is a difficult question to answer for several reasons until this fault is checked out in your workshop, but we never get to hear what the result of the evaluation is.

Hi Ian, yes that's fine.  I'm a little confused though, are you the manufacturer and pure freedom the supplier?  I did speak with pure freedom yesterday and they said to return it for repair but the quickest option would be to buy a new one.  Obviously I need the quickest option but could really do without the cost.

Serial = 41967

Manufacture date = 2018/11/08

Model = V11B

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Ian,

At one time many failures with controllers were due to water ingress and reverse polarity connecting the controller up to the battery.

If we accidentally connect the battery terminals up incorrectly will this cause the controller to go completely dead?

I appreciate that this is a difficult question to answer for several reasons until this fault is checked out in your workshop, but we never get to hear what the result of the evaluation is.
Morning Spruce

In honesty in the majority of cases where we see controllers come back it is usually due to a Reverse polarity when connecting the battery. Water damage or in some cases a short  where worn external cabling touches metal, and over rated fuses.

With Chris,s controller something else is going on, it is very unusual for a controller to behave in the way he has described. We are going to need to have a look and see what is happening and once we have done that I can share the results

Hi Ian, yes that's fine.  I'm a little confused though, are you the manufacturer and pure freedom the supplier?  I did speak with pure freedom yesterday and they said to return it for repair but the quickest option would be to buy a new one.  Obviously I need the quickest option but could really do without the cost.

Serial = 41967

Manufacture date = 2018/11/08

Model = V11B

Cheers, Chris.
Hi Chris. I have spoken with Adepta and although the controller is out of warranty. Due to the unusual nature of the fault and the need for us to get the controller back we will sort you out in the meantime. Please can you give Adepta a call.

Hi Chris. I have spoken with Adepta and although the controller is out of warranty. Due to the unusual nature of the fault and the need for us to get the controller back we will sort you out in the meantime. Please can you give Adepta a call.
Brilliant, thanks very much Ian.  I will package up this controller later today and send it back to you.  Thanks very much I really do appreciate your response, I'm in a tricky situation at the moment and I really appreciate it.

I'll call them shortly.

Regards,

Chris.

Morning Spruce

In honesty in the majority of cases where we see controllers come back it is usually due to a Reverse polarity when connecting the battery. Water damage or in some cases a short  where worn external cabling touches metal, and over rated fuses.

With Chris,s controller something else is going on, it is very unusual for a controller to behave in the way he has described. We are going to need to have a look and see what is happening and once we have done that I can share the results
Just thinking about this reverse polarity issue.  Is it not possible to include a diode/mosfet (I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about) on the negative line to protect the controller? If they can fit reverse polarity protection to battery chargers then it must be possible to fit something similar to controllers of a similar amperage.

Reverse polarity is something that can catch any of us out, especially me because I'm very disylexic. It's like filling a diesel with petrol at the service station.

I fixed my system permanently in the van and plug in the charger. If I had to take my battery out each time I needed to charge my leisure battery I would have been a regular purchaser of controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problems with pure freedom controllers.

Frustrating anyway I have found analogue controllers cheaper and last longer

Just thinking about this reverse polarity issue.  Is it not possible to include a diode/mosfet (I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about) on the negative line to protect the controller? If they can fit reverse polarity protection to battery chargers then it must be possible to fit something similar to controllers of a similar amperage.

Reverse polarity is something that can catch any of us out, especially me because I'm very disylexic. It's like filling a diesel with petrol at the service station.

I fixed my system permanently in the van and plug in the charger. If I had to take my battery out each time I needed to charge my leisure battery I would have been a regular purchaser of controllers.
Hi Spruce. we do fit a diode on the power circuit, the diode is there to protect the processor and critical power tracks on the PCB. Having the diode means that controllers are repairable without the diode the reversed polarity would take out the whole board and processors meaning a new controller. So the diode does provide some protection/ Also fitting the fuse as recommended in the guide can make a difference. In the event of a reverse polarity the fuse will blow in around a 100th of a second cutting the power. As we evolve the controllers we also look at way to minimize the effects of reverse polarity.

Hi Spruce. we do fit a diode on the power circuit, the diode is there to protect the processor and critical power tracks on the PCB. Having the diode means that controllers are repairable without the diode the reversed polarity would take out the whole board and processors meaning a new controller. So the diode does provide some protection/ Also fitting the fuse as recommended in the guide can make a difference. In the event of a reverse polarity the fuse will blow in around a 100th of a second cutting the power. As we evolve the controllers we also look at way to minimize the effects of reverse polarity.
Is this post available in English?

Hi Ian, just wanted to say thanks for your prompt response in getting me a replacement remote for my One Shot a couple of weeks back. It was nice chatting with you. Sorry for the teckey questions ?

Is this post available in English?

Hi Ian, just wanted to say thanks for your prompt response in getting me a replacement remote for my One Shot a couple of weeks back. It was nice chatting with you. Sorry for the teckey questions ?
Hi Steve no worries it was good to get you sorted. The tech questions help keep me sane particularly in the current climate. It is good to be able to focus on some good old pump controller stuff. Nearing time for a drop of wine ?Cheers

Hi Ian,

Hi Spruce. This particular issue with flow rate falling continues to be investigated. It is an unusual one that has not been seen previously. Currently we are collecting information to get as much background as possible as this will help as narrow down the what and why.

Hi Ian,

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find out what was wrong with the controller and is there a fix I can do at home?

Thanks

Hi Ian,

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find out what was wrong with the controller and is there a fix I can do at home?

Thanks
HI, The controller does need to come back to us so we can investigate what has happened to cause it to Flash between Bat and Off. Please can you return to the address Spring (Europe) Ltd Unit 9 April Court Sybron way Crowborough TN6 3DZ.

It would also be helpful if you could let me have some additional information so we can diagnose the issue. Please can you confirm the following for me

Controller Serial number

Age of the Controller

What pump is being used please

Also what method is used to charge the system battery

Back