Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone any experience of cleaning algae from K Render?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Doug

I have a customer who has a relatively new house that is K rendered and it has quite bad black staining in places.  I have researched it and K Rend do something called K Rend Algae Cleaner. I was wondering about using my water fed pole with a backpack with the diluted Algae cleaner in it.  Any views? Has anyone tried it? Has anyone a better solution?

I have a customer who has a relatively new house that is K rendered and it has quite bad black staining in places.  I have researched it and K Rend do something called K Rend Algae Cleaner. I was wondering about using my water fed pole with a backpack with the diluted Algae cleaner in it.  Any views? Has anyone tried it? Has anyone a better solution?
If its black staining then I think only a bleach like hypo or blackwash I think its called would remove it but @Pjj will keep you right.

Any pictures??? We softwash them with excellent results nice little earner , we use a hypo mix . See the pictures on the reply to scottish 

Last edited by a moderator:
Often these products are just something like copper sulphate and surfactants etc.

They do work to a degree but a biocide like algoclear pro or benz biocide are best if customer doesn't mind waiting a while or hypo (sodium hypochlorite) for a quick result but please use the correct ppe.

Just googled it it’s a bio product doubt it will clean it in 3 days like they claim , having said that I know @kevinc250 is a great advocate of bio products , I have never had much success with it we use hypo and Ime happy to guarantee it will stay clean for at least 12 months never had a call back yet 

Just checked out msds for it.. benzalkonium chloride is the active ingredient. 

It is a biocide and also is in stuff like zaflora.

Just checked out msds for it.. benzalkonium chloride is the active ingredient. 

It is a biocide and also is in stuff like zaflora.
problem with that stuff dave its very very ph sensitive, only pure or water at a ph7 should be used for it to perform at its best,i've looked at it in the past and thought for the cost its just not worth it as the  benz biocide for maybe two pounds more per litre has all the sds sheets and more importantly the safety aspect, the op should post some pictures of the walls etc so its possible to see what the underlying problem is

y'know with quiet times ahead for the foreseeable future i'll ask a mate/friend of mine to come back to the forum if he wants to, and maybe offer advice or help in any way, he's way more experienced than most on hear and the most level headed and nicest guy you could ever meet.i'll have a chat to mr softwash over the weekend

y'know with quiet times ahead for the foreseeable future i'll ask a mate/friend of mine to come back to the forum if he wants to, and maybe offer advice or help in any way, he's way more experienced than most on hear and the most level headed and nicest guy you could ever meet.i'll have a chat to mr softwash over the weekend
Would this be Jc by any chance ??? 

I really liked Michael and not because he has same name as me but I took him for being sincere at the course. He was working with SEPA to try and get softwashing regulated and his course was only £500 for 2 or 3 days. He never tried to sell us anything and I never knew he even had a product to sell. I wish him well in the future.

I haven’t Hurd of it but guessing it’s probably hypo based or possibly a bio product ?.. we do dozens of k rend properties like the one below 

View attachment 19848

View attachment 19849

View attachment 19850

View attachment 19851
Thanks Pjj. I am getting from this that I need to learn about soft washing. I know nothing about it whatsoever. Is it something I can adapt my WFP to do if I use a backpack for the chemicals? How does one quote for soft washing? So much a Sq m?

Backpack is fine for hypo and biocide as long as you don't mix them and flush it out before changing chemical.. also flush out after use to protect the pump and fittings.

Wfp with an old brush is perfect for treating k rend.

You can quote by sqm but I have a bit of experience quoting now so usually price it off the top of my head.

Not really for quick results but you need to take precautions. 

It's not any more toxic than household bleach when diluted as long as you use ppe to avoid breathing it in.

Just common sense is needed.

@kevinc250 you ever tried hydroxide?.. i know it works on fences

Thanks Pjj. I am getting from this that I need to learn about soft washing. I know nothing about it whatsoever. Is it something I can adapt my WFP to do if I use a backpack for the chemicals? How does one quote for soft washing? So much a Sq m?
Yes a back pack works very well with it , you can apply the mix through an old brush or spray nozzle but I would definitely recommend training have a look on Benz softwashing web site some really useful help on there , we price per job not per sm green algi is easy to remove black/red is harder . 

Latest Posts

Back