Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any people changed their mind

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hyzer373

Ones who texted their customers to say the cleaning is temporarily closed to then changed their minds how did you let customers know? I bet it would be quite awkward lol

also any window cleaners still debating what to do? I’m in that boat I decided not to work but now I’m thinking I might go mad staying in, don’t know what to do

I messaged people to say I wouldn’t be out for a least 3 weeks. It seems like less window cleaners are being called out for working now that the guidelines have been made more clear to the public. I saw one guy yesterday ‘Facebook shamed’ but I’d say more people were defending him than those that weren’t. 

From what I’ve been reading it’s more than 50% likely that the lockdown will extend for 6 months and then we will still have to adhere to some social distancing measures after that. This alongside the fact 80% of earnings for the 3 months will entitle me to around £600 in total has made me start to reassess what I’m doing. 

I know if after Easter Monday I start work again I’m still going to have some customers that don’t want their windows done due to their own assessments of what is and isn’t safe for them. There are also going to be people that wouldn’t agree with me working which could negatively affect the business. 

A lot will depend on what happens in the next two weeks. 

@ksp how did your customers respond to you texting that you will not be coming out for the time being? I’m also debating what to do, I’m worried that if I message my customers that some might be a bit annoyed that im not coming out & cancel.

@ksp how did your customers respond to you texting that you will not be coming out for the time being? I’m also debating what to do, I’m worried that if I message my customers that some might be a bit annoyed that im not coming out & cancel.
Everyone was positive. I didn’t have one person complain. I did have one customer say she’s ‘going to have to do it herself’, which probably translates to she’s going to pay someone else to do it. But even she said she understood my decision. 

A woman posted on a local fb page today that she wanted a window cleaner and would pay by bacs, she got ripped to bits and 80% of people were slating the 1 window cleaner that was apparently working in the town today.

Ive made the right decision for myself and family to not work, and seeing the comments on the post before it was removed convinced me 100%

A woman posted on a local fb page today that she wanted a window cleaner and would pay by bacs, she got ripped to bits and 80% of people were slating the 1 window cleaner that was apparently working in the town today.

Ive made the right decision for myself and family to not work, and seeing the comments on the post before it was removed convinced me 100%
I wont knock anyones decision to clean or not. What i will say is, as has already been said, those idiots who pick on people via facebook etc are low life wasters. Sort of people who all gang up and bully someone for being different. Ive seen mums at it at school gates when i was there with girlfriend. One ringleader the others are scared of and they all join in like a pack. those sort of people can really make others lives a misery. Better to stand up to them, feel real sorry for the woman who was slated.

I wont knock anyones decision to clean or not. What i will say is, as has already been said, those idiots who pick on people via facebook etc are low life wasters. Sort of people who all gang up and bully someone for being different. Ive seen mums at it at school gates when i was there with girlfriend. One ringleader the others are scared of and they all join in like a pack. those sort of people can really make others lives a misery. Better to stand up to them, feel real sorry for the woman who was slated.
It was cringey reading tbh, but we all know 100 5* reviews can all be ruined by 1 facebook slating when the band wagon gets joined.

Another windy i know IS working but in his words 'i work out of a var, and not a sign written van, and dont have facebook so i fly under the radar'

It was cringey reading tbh, but we all know 100 5* reviews can all be ruined by 1 facebook slating when the band wagon gets joined.

Another windy i know IS working but in his words 'i work out of a var, and not a sign written van, and dont have facebook so i fly under the radar'
Because he is working from a car he might be pulled over more being out as it’s not clear he is a window cleaner, is he trad or WFP? If WFP they might look how much weight is in the car also with barrells of pure water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he is working from a car he might be pulled over more being out as it’s not clear he is a window cleaner, is he trad or WFP? If WFP they might look how much weight is in the car also with barrells of pure water.
Hes trad, only does shop fronts and a few dozen bungalows

yeh true. His similar to me then. I mean to get sign written in the future but reckon I'll wait. like the idea of the magnetic that can go on and off.

yeh true. His similar to me then. I mean to get sign written in the future but reckon I'll wait. like the idea of the magnetic that can go on and off.
Lol, you put var, dunno if meant car or van. I have van but not sign written

I meant my comment to go here about the var, not on my comment ?

I'd decided i wasn't going out with all this going on but now I'm kind of forced into a situation of staying inside as the automatic gearbox on the car is knackered and although it does still go i can't find another set of wheels in a lockdown, I've got to preserve this one in case my son needs medical treatment.

I haven't actually texted anyone saying i've suspended service so technically i've not actually cancelled on anybody. I have a number of health woes so i'd prefer to stay indoors - the car was really the final influence. If i change my mind or find another motor (not likely with the lockdown) any delay in their normal schedule was down to a "elbow injury".

Bottom line, in this game play the game to your advantage. I spent days mulling over sending out suspended service texts but in the end decided not to - sometimes no action is better (they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions). If you have any that you've not texted, they're still fair game to service.

For those you did text, what did the message say - exactly please, Depending on what you wrote, the situation might still be salvageable..

I'd decided i wasn't going out with all this going on but now I'm kind of forced into a situation of staying inside as the automatic gearbox on the car is knackered and although it does still go i can't find another set of wheels in a lockdown, I've got to preserve this one in case my son needs medical treatment.

I haven't actually texted anyone saying i've suspended service so technically i've not actually cancelled on anybody. I have a number of health woes so i'd prefer to stay indoors - the car was really the final influence. If i change my mind or find another motor (not likely with the lockdown) any delay in their normal schedule was down to a "elbow injury".

Bottom line, in this game play the game to your advantage. I spent days mulling over sending out suspended service texts but in the end decided not to - sometimes no action is better (they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions). If you have any that you've not texted, they're still fair game to service.

For those you did text, what did the message say - exactly please, Depending on what you wrote, the situation might still be salvageable..
heres mine....with customer reply as well

Hello Elaine

I am texting all of my customers regarding the Covid 19 virus.

I have been in a bit of a dilemma this past week, wondering if I should be working or not. Whilst current government guidelines state that it is ok to carry on working, providing the social distancing protocol is adhered to, I have come to the decision that I cannot carry on cleaning windows until the situation improves.....I really don't want to be responsible for spreading the virus. For the time being, I must stay at home.

In the meantime, look after yourself and stay safe.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard 

Fully understand think it’s for the best. Hopefully see you before to long. Stay safe.

Elaine

ive just carried on as normal since boris announcement a week last monday......i never really thought about not working tbh.....only had 4 skipped jobs last week and picked up 5 new ones....

some of you will have no business to go back to if you dont go back within a few weeks...ive got substantial savings (that has taken me 10 years to build up)but no point downing tools too early and living off them while we can still work.......im hoping this is as extreme as it gets as an even more stricter lockdown for a few months will be seriously devastating to the economy.....

some of you will have no business to go back to if you dont go back within a few weeks...ive got substantial savings (that has taken me 10 years to build up)but no point downing tools too early and living off them while we can still work.......im hoping this is as extreme as it gets as an even more stricter lockdown for a few months will be seriously devastating to the economy.....
We have several thousand customers every customer that I have spoken to is more than happy to waite how ever long it takes for  us to return to work most have said they would be happy for us to carry on but when I have explained my company stance they say they fully understand and support our decision, so not having a buisness to go back to is scaremongering and simply untrue .

We have several thousand customers every customer that I have spoken to is more than happy to waite how ever long it takes for  us to return to work most have said they would be happy for us to carry on but when I have explained my company stance they say they fully understand and support our decision, so not having a buisness to go back to is scaremongering and simply untrue .
you wont have a business to go back to if you have 6 months off mate......customers are fickle and their windows will be filthy.....hopefully you wont have to have all that time off before your back out there cleaning.....

you wont have a business to go back to if you have 6 months off mate......customers are fickle and their windows will be filthy.....hopefully you wont have to have all that time off before your back out there cleaning.....
Ime more than confident I will the hotels we do are shut at the moment so that’s not a problem , the domestic customers most have been with us for well over 15 years and wouldn’t want anyone else , plus there is a shortage of window cleaners hear they would struggle to find someone else to take on several thousand jobs jobs as most cleaners and I know most In my area  couldn’t take on many more jobs as they are full with customers so Ime not the slightest bit worried , I doubt we will be off work for 6 months anyway but if we are due to total lock down that will affect us all so again not bothered by it , I can easily afford to take 6 months off Ime lucky I know that but that’s because of good buisness planning over the last 20+ years it hasnt happened by chance . Everything is paid for so my out goings are minimal and if not working Ime saving evan more money in fuel, water , etc 

Last edited by a moderator:
ive just carried on as normal since boris announcement a week last monday......i never really thought about not working tbh.....only had 4 skipped jobs last week and picked up 5 new ones....
I have quoted 4 jobs that are happy to wait and totally respect my decision and I ain't been out for over a week.

I’ve been contacting all my customers and the response has been amazing. Very understanding both ways as to weather I carry on or stop for a while so still unsure what to do. Moneys gonna dry up and we can’t run our family on the wife’s wage alone(she’s working from home part time) and couple that with an Xmas overspend and an unusually bad run of weather since and my finances are fecked so not much choice really. I am very respectfull of this difficult situation but my family come first sorry. I’ve had a couple of weeks off to access the situation and everything is pointing towards going back in on Monday to clean the ones that have come back with the positives. There’s no reason why we can’t have policy’s in place to make it safe for both party’s for us to carry on working with out a risk of spreading the virus. Everyone’s gonna get it eventually so it just has to be managed properly. 

I’m coming to grips with that if any customers do cancel due to me being late then they aren’t worth the time of day. It’s global pandemic where people across the world are losing their lives and jobs. For someone to then do damage  to me by cancelling for being late during a crisis like this they can get to clean f#ck 

Back