Jump to content

Shurflo 8000 not turning on PS showing on controller


Recommended Posts

DrGonzoSnr

Hi all,

I haven't run my WFP system for some time and have just filled up the water tank and tried to start the pump but it is not responding.

I have sucked water through the pump and tried again but no joy.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected and as best checked all connections.

Can anyone give me advice on this please.

How would I know if the pump is effectively "dead" and in need of replacing if that is the case?

I read about bypassing the pressure switch by connecting together the 2 red wires connected to the top of the pump but how do you do that? Do I need to crimp them together? Wiring is not my strong point but maybe I will have to work on that.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Link to post
2 hours ago, DrGonzoSnr said:

Hi all,

I haven't run my WFP system for some time and have just filled up the water tank and tried to start the pump but it is not responding.

I have sucked water through the pump and tried again but no joy.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected and as best checked all connections.

Can anyone give me advice on this please.

How would I know if the pump is effectively "dead" and in need of replacing if that is the case?

I read about bypassing the pressure switch by connecting together the 2 red wires connected to the top of the pump but how do you do that? Do I need to crimp them together? Wiring is not my strong point but maybe I will have to work on that.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

 

Shurflo pressure switch wiring.jpg

I would however suggest you study this issue raised and take note of @Ian Sheppard's comments at the end of the post. It could well be a battery issue that's causing your problems.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/31896-pump-battery-issues/?tab=comments#comment-448493

One of the pieces of equipment you need is a good multimeter and knowledge of how to use it.

 

Edited by spruce
Link to post
Ian Sheppard

Before bypassing the pump pressure switch there is a quick way to check the pump. Connect the pump directly to the battery if the pump and pressure switch are Ok it will run flat out, if the pump does not run when connected directly to the battery. the pump pressure switch may have failed in which case it can be bypassed as Spruce has shown. 

Also check any fuses/fuse holder and replace any corroded or damaged fuse/Connectors. Also where possible check for any exposed cable cores that can touch metal.

Another possibility here as the system has not been run for a while is the battery condition. When was it last charged ?

Link to post
DrGonzoSnr

I was working on bypassing the pressure switch before reading latest replies. 

So the pump runs without the pressure switch in place but I now I don't know if it's a fault in the wiring, controller or pressure switch? 

Link to post
Ian Sheppard
1 minute ago, DrGonzoSnr said:

I was working on bypassing the pressure switch before reading latest replies. 

So the pump runs without the pressure switch in place but I now I don't know if it's a fault in the wiring, controller or pressure switch? 

OK that the pump is now running normally would suggest the pump pressure switch had failed and bypassing it has removed the issue. The controller will run the pump with the pressure switch bypassed and will DE as normal

Link to post
DrGonzoSnr
1 hour ago, Ian Sheppard said:

Ok, So the pump pressure switch has been bypassed and the pump is connected directly to the battery and is running. Next step is to reconnect the controller and check this works. http://springltd.co/assets/uploads/content/V11_V1_5.pdf

Do you mean reconnect the controller but not the pressure switch?

And do you mean just see if the controller works again without the pressure switch or is there something else in the manual to try?

Link to post
Ian Sheppard
3 minutes ago, DrGonzoSnr said:

Do you mean reconnect the controller but not the pressure switch?

And do you mean just see if the controller works again without the pressure switch or is there something else in the manual to try?

Yes please reconnect the controller to the pump and battery as normal. There is no need to reconnect the pump pressure switch as it was likely to have been this that had failed.

Link to post
18 hours ago, Ian Sheppard said:

Yes please reconnect the controller to the pump and battery as normal. There is no need to reconnect the pump pressure switch as it was likely to have been this that had failed.

Hi Ian,

For my own interest. If this wasn't a pressure switch failure in the beginning and the battery was fully charged, could this be a controller issue in the beginning?

Lets presume that all cables and connectors including the fuse holder are fine. The fuse must be ok because the controller is still 'alive'. Could this be the result of a reversed polarity at some time previously. I'm asking this as I still believe reverse polarity is the cause of most controller failures. We hardly hear of a failed pressure switch in a pump using a controller.

I know of one that suffered that issue and the windie got away with it. I'm that one. I replaced the fuse but I was concerned that I had caused a weakness in the electronic components of my controller and expected it to fail at any time for weeks afterwards. I actually ordered a new controller just in case.

Edited by spruce
Link to post
Ian Sheppard
1 hour ago, spruce said:

Hi Ian,

For my own interest. If this wasn't a pressure switch failure in the beginning and the battery was fully charged, could this be a controller issue in the beginning?

Lets presume that all cables and connectors including the fuse holder are fine. The fuse must be ok because the controller is still 'alive'. Could this be the result of a reversed polarity at some time previously. I'm asking this as I still believe reverse polarity is the cause of most controller failures. We hardly hear of a failed pressure switch in a pump using a controller.

I know of one that suffered that issue and the windie got away with it. I'm that one. I replaced the fuse but I was concerned that I had caused a weakness in the electronic components of my controller and expected it to fail at any time for weeks afterwards. I actually ordered a new controller just in case.

Hi Spruce yes it is possible that in the situation described this could damage the circuitry of the controller. Now the pressure switch is disconnected the proof of the pudding will come when the controller is reconnected. Now there is no pressure switch to detect the controller will hopefully run the pump as normal.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.