Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning On 6th Floor

Mark87

Hi, 

I live in an apartment block on the top floor (6th floor ) in Manchester. 

I have an annoying situation with the windows, the management company won't clean them,  won't bore you with it but what do you guys think is the best/cheapest option to get these cleaned please?

Thanks a lot for any help. 

apartments.jpg

Can someone get access to the first floor area that is sticking out or is that private land? If someone can access that then you either need someone that is prepared to work a 60' pole with a gooseneck, not an easy job, or you need a cherry picker. The first one, if you can find them, is a £50 job, minimum. The other option is hundreds.  

I would actually like to know what excuse the PM Company are using for them not to clean your windows.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. 

Basically Taylor Wimpey changed the windows and i bought it off plan, so window washing was never in the lease as it was meant to have opening windows but didn't. There is a new team in charge so maybe I should speak with them again. 

The area below is private.

Yes, it's my balcony to the right, but this is slightly behind the windows, i was thinking of getting say a 4m pole and looking for an add on with say a 90 degree angle and try doing it from the side. 

Hi, 

I live in an apartment block on the top floor (6th floor ) in Manchester. 

I have an annoying situation with the windows, the management company won't clean them,  won't bore you with it but what do you guys think is the best/cheapest option to get these cleaned please?

Thanks a lot for any help. 

View attachment 20043
Why can't you clean them yourselves?

Firstly, it looks like the windows circled are behind a ledge. It also looks like there is an extension with a hard roof on the ground floor which looks like the second floor has access to. Using a pole from the road would mean a very long pole and an angle that just wouldn't be achievable.

Even if it could be done from the ground the longest pole available is 74'. I don't believe that's long enough. The cost of this pole is around £3100 + VAT. Pricing a job like that will have to include the cost of equipment so not cheap.

Its also a job that could well include council approval and additional costs to block the road off and cordon off a safe area around the area being worked in to reduce injury to pedestrians should the worst happen. Managing a pole at that length has numerous issues with wind currents.

BTW the longest pole I have is 40' and that's a handful for me. There is no way I would increase that length by double.

The hire of an cherry picker for at height and reach would also be rather expensive.

I can totally get why your management company won't clean your windows.

I was under the impression that architects have to design a building these days that includes provision for window cleaning and other maintenance.

Sorry, I started to reply before @Part Timer asked more relevant questions.

We have some flats near us the the same balcony out the back. They aren't the same height as your flats and the window cleaner used the full length of his 57' pole to reach the top windows. Those flats are 4 stories high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. 

Basically Taylor Wimpey changed the windows and i bought it off plan, so window washing was never in the lease as it was meant to have opening windows but didn't. There is a new team in charge so maybe I should speak with them again. 

The area below is private.

Yes, it's my balcony to the right, but this is slightly behind the windows, i was thinking of getting say a 4m pole and looking for an add on with say a 90 degree angle and try doing it from the side. 
You can use a CLX18 with a 25' gooseneck and produce and use your water by DI only. After the initial set up costs you'll have very little additional and probably be able to quickly recoup your costs by doing your neighbours.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/telescopic-poles/clx-ii-carbon-composite-pole/pole-clx-18.html

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/goosenecks-pole-fittings/super-lite-carbon-fibre-alloy-goosenecks-fittings/quick-loq-carbon-gooseneck-25-63cm-55a.html

Please make sure you secure your pole whilst working at that height

Last edited by a moderator:
Parttimer, thanks so much for being so helpful, that's exactly what i've been searching for but never found the two together and wasn't sure exactly what i was searching for.

This was my original plan to start with to find something like so, but was just a bit curious about the weight of it and with water in and if i'd be able to use from side on.

As for securing the pole, definitely don't want to be dropping it below, what's the best way to secure it please?

And again, thanks for your help, this will be epic if it works.

Parttimer, thanks so much for being so helpful, that's exactly what i've been searching for but never found the two together and wasn't sure exactly what i was searching for.

This was my original plan to start with to find something like so, but was just a bit curious about the weight of it and with water in and if i'd be able to use from side on.

As for securing the pole, definitely don't want to be dropping it below, what's the best way to secure it please?

And again, thanks for your help, this will be epic if it works.
The pole with gooseneckbrush water should be a maximum 1.5kgs. I would think a couple of really strong velcro straps will suffice. You'll need the facility to produce pure through a DI vessel. Email Gardiners telling them you will need  connectors for DI to tap and then DI to pole as you will literally turn on your tap and use the water you're producing to clean your windows.

Why can't you clean them yourselves?

Firstly, it looks like the windows circled are behind a ledge. It also looks like there is an extension with a hard roof on the ground floor which looks like the second floor has access to. Using a pole from the road would mean a very long pole and an angle that just wouldn't be achievable.

Even if it could be done from the ground the longest pole available is 74'. I don't believe that's long enough. The cost of this pole is around £3100 + VAT. Pricing a job like that will have to include the cost of equipment so not cheap.

Its also a job that could well include council approval and additional costs to block the road off and cordon off a safe area around the area being worked in to reduce injury to pedestrians should the worst happen. Managing a pole at that length has numerous issues with wind currents.

BTW the longest pole I have is 40' and that's a handful for me. There is no way I would increase that length by double.

The hire of an cherry picker for at height and reach would also be rather expensive.

I can totally get why your management company won't clean your windows.

I was under the impression that architects have to design a building these days that includes provision for window cleaning and other maintenance.

Sorry, I started to reply before @Part Timer asked more relevant questions.

We have some flats near us the the same balcony out the back. They aren't the same height as your flats and the window cleaner used the full length of his 57' pole to reach the top windows. Those flats are 4 stories high.
That to me is a 7 floors high ?. Difficult to tell from the picture but it looks set back weather or not it can be done from the ground it’s difficult to say without seeing it in the flesh , we do stuff that high and evan 8 floors but it wouldn’t be cheap . The pole alone is over 3 k , it’s not like it’s just 70+ feet high it’s the set back and looks like it could mean standing in the road ??? Not an easy job , 

You can use a CLX18 with a 25' gooseneck and produce and use your water by DI only. After the initial set up costs you'll have very little additional and probably be able to quickly recoup your costs by doing your neighbours.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/telescopic-poles/clx-ii-carbon-composite-pole/pole-clx-18.html

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/goosenecks-pole-fittings/super-lite-carbon-fibre-alloy-goosenecks-fittings/quick-loq-carbon-gooseneck-25-63cm-55a.html

Please make sure you secure your pole whilst working at that height
Hi Mark,

I think your cheapest option would be to find a windy with backpack tank & use as part timer said a lightweight 18’- 25’ clx pole with a decent gooseneck, not sure you would get a great job done because of the angle,

failing that go to your management company and ask if they can get a quote from an abseiling company to do the whole block & split the cost through your maintenance bill, it maybe abit long winded as you will probably have to send a letter round to all residents for agreement first,

good luck

OK, great, thanks a lot for your help!
You are also 7 stories up, so whatever method you use you need to ensure any equipment is tethered. If the pole slips from your hand then it needs an additional restraint tied to a secure point to prevent it falling to the ground and killing someone underneath. We would use some rope.

Latest Posts

Back