Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Facebook adds during lockdown

Paul Irving

Hi, due to the current situation the interior painting and decorating side of my business is finished and will be a years until that market recovers, I started window cleaning this year and everything was going well, I have been on lockdown for 3 weeks but we still have to plan for months/ years ahead, it is achievable to operate as a window cleaner and be responsible regarding social distancing, so is anyone running facebook ads at the moment and what return/ jobs booked in is being achieved?

Hi, due to the current situation the interior painting and decorating side of my business is finished and will be a years until that market recovers, I started window cleaning this year and everything was going well, I have been on lockdown for 3 weeks but we still have to plan for months/ years ahead, it is achievable to operate as a window cleaner and be responsible regarding social distancing, so is anyone running facebook ads at the moment and what return/ jobs booked in is being achieved?
Started one two weeks into lockdown and it done well..200 plus comments on it. Its like anything, how you set it up that matters

So for example I highlighted contactless payment on the advert, adding 400 quid to the run in the first month of lockdown

Had two nippy comments blocked them one angry face and hundreds of likes. 

Started one two weeks into lockdown and it done well..200 plus comments on it. Its like anything, how you set it up that matters

So for example I highlighted contactless payment on the advert, adding 400 quid to the run in the first month of lockdown

Had two nippy comments blocked them one angry face and hundreds of likes. 
ran a few facebook ad s paid with hardly any results only a couple of enquiries . but the best method is getting out there leafletting and calling back a few days later. I got 60 customers since the lock down. I go out every night and leaflet.

ran a few facebook ad s paid with hardly any results only a couple of enquiries . but the best method is getting out there leafletting and calling back a few days later. I got 60 customers since the lock down. I go out every night and leaflet.
Right now its probs getting good for that yes. I have good success on all fb campaigns. The worst ever has probs been a £100 spend, picking up maybe that same amount in monthly regular windows plus a upvc clean and gutter. 

Right now its probs getting good for that yes. I have good success on all fb campaigns. The worst ever has probs been a £100 spend, picking up maybe that same amount in monthly regular windows plus a upvc clean and gutter. 
What do you usually run as your advert? A video or a picture? I’ve never done well with Facebook ads. I was looking at an app to put together a video of before and after pictures this week but it didn’t come out as I’d hoped it would. I also tend to get the worst customers from that platform. I’m not sure why. 

What do you usually run as your advert? A video or a picture? I’ve never done well with Facebook ads. I was looking at an app to put together a video of before and after pictures this week but it didn’t come out as I’d hoped it would. I also tend to get the worst customers from that platform. I’m not sure why. 
Lately just back to minimal text ads. Ie working in x town next week I'll put a 7 day post up hitting that area saying "window cleaning in x next week frames and doors included etc get in touch for quote"

People move on this cos the service is imminent locally to them 

Lately just back to minimal text ads. Ie working in x town next week I'll put a 7 day post up hitting that area saying "window cleaning in x next week frames and doors included etc get in touch for quote"

People move on this cos the service is imminent locally to them 
What is your CPC like and the conversion rate, assuming you're tracking the clicks to sales? And have you tried similar advertising platforms, like Google Ads? Any difference in results?

Ive picked up over 300 customers in the past 4 weeks all due to Facebook ads ? U cant beat Facebook ads ?

Ive picked up over 300 customers in the past 4 weeks all due to Facebook ads ? U cant beat Facebook ads ?
That is pretty impressive. What are your costs on Facebook like, if you don't mind me asking?

And are you doing everything yourself or you've got someone who looks after the advertising side of things?

How would you compare Facebook to Google Ads, assuming you've tried both?

I can easily set up a Google Ads campaign and have the phone ringing the next day, but have never used Facebook Ads...

That is pretty impressive. What are your costs on Facebook like, if you don't mind me asking?

And are you doing everything yourself or you've got someone who looks after the advertising side of things?

How would you compare Facebook to Google Ads, assuming you've tried both?

I can easily set up a Google Ads campaign and have the phone ringing the next day, but have never used Facebook Ads...
Well lets just say i only pay 1/4 of the actual Facebook ad cost as i get a lot of ad vouchers for cheap, i do it all myself, very straight forward.

Ive never used google ads as much but i can imagine them bringing in more commercial then Facebook does.

To run succesful  facebook ad campaign u need heavy funding behind you... Facebook ads are very very expensive!

Well lets just say i only pay 1/4 of the actual Facebook ad cost as i get a lot of ad vouchers for cheap, i do it all myself, very straight forward.

Ive never used google ads as much but i can imagine them bringing in more commercial then Facebook does.

To run succesful  facebook ad campaign u need heavy funding behind you... Facebook ads are very very expensive!
Hi Harunh, would you be kind enough to tell me what you perceive to be heavy funding? And what, in your experience, has been the ROI. Many thanks.

Hi Harunh, would you be kind enough to tell me what you perceive to be heavy funding? And what, in your experience, has been the ROI. Many thanks.
Heavy funding means a lot of money, i mean silly money but the ROI is pretty good considering i only pay 25% of the cost :D 

The easy part is getting the customers but the hard part is doing the first cleans and identifying the time wasters etc.

Heavy funding means a lot of money, i mean silly money but the ROI is pretty good considering i only pay 25% of the cost ?

The easy part is getting the customers but the hard part is doing the first cleans and identifying the time wasters etc.
Yes - I perfectly understand the abstract definition. I was rather hoping you would define the value for us; would you perhaps feel comfortable giving a ball-park number per month? I ask you because you appear to have a clear preference for facebook managed ads when many others are less convinced. Perhaps they are not investing enough to draw a good enough data set before rubishing it, hence the difference in opinion & the value of your perspective. My sense is that you have a deeper understanding borne from experience which carries more weight than straight, unsubstantiated opinion.

Heavy, a lot , large or significant adjectives as descibtors are subjective & can be misleading. Many thanks for any clarity you can shine on this for us all.

Heavy funding means a lot of money, i mean silly money but the ROI is pretty good considering i only pay 25% of the cost ?

As Zenith said, "heavy funding" and "silly money" are very subjective, because whatever you're spending on ads, I'm sure it will be pennies compared to guys who advertise more expensive services, like insurance and law, so not sure what's up with all the secrecy in terms of numbers.

Whatever you are spending on ads is irrelevant, unless you put it into context and say that by spending "X per month" you could expect "Y in revenue".

Should be able to always get £5 a lead for window cleaning, and that would be with a good advert in an area you haven't targeted recently. £10 a lead for extra jobs roughly.

Not great odds but certainly cheaper than buying work because these are what I would consider max outlays per lead.  Sometimes I can get a window cleaning lead for a lot less and conversion is mostly down to how you sell the product. I don't understand this talk of "heavy money" all I see thats relative is how much it costs per lead/conversion 

It's all about ROI (Return On Investment) If it costs you £10 for a customer and you only clean their windows once then you probably just broke even. If you clean that customers windows 12 times in a year then you made a 12 times return on your investment!!!!

Don't think short term look at the bigger picture.

Trying not to be pedantic but your gross profit isn't your ROI. 
Correct, hes forgeting that his manpower (his own time) & resources (what is cost you to clean) are input at point of delivery. You have travelled, used your water supply, time to quote & time to clean. They all have an intrinsic cost, so it's £10 + £3 (1st clean). Your making a £3 loss, so your ROI is -33%.

Trying not to be pedantic but your gross profit isn't your ROI. 
Very true. I was just trying to explain the cost of a lead isn't necessarily just balanced against the income from a single clean.

I ommited other costs to simply as much as possible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, hes forgeting that his manpower (his own time) & resources (what is cost you to clean) are input at point of delivery. You have travelled, used your water supply, time to quote & time to clean. They all have an intrinsic cost, so it's £10 + £3 (1st clean). Your making a £3 loss, so your ROI is -33%.
Only if you don't turn that lead into a regular custy! 

Maybe better to charge cost of lead + your costs for first clean then break even on first clean. 

Only if you don't turn that lead into a regular custy! 

Maybe better to charge cost of lead + your costs for first clean then break even on first clean. 
Better to charge double for a first clean anyway this sorts out the messers and one hit wonders also direct debit only for me so again sorts out the messers because if they have no intention of committing to a regular service they won't sign up, I've only had 3 jobs in the last 18 months that weren't comfortable about signing up to DD so I had no interest in adding them to my rounds. 

Back