Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Legal view when cleaning Flats

scottish cleaning service

Today I met Adam a Polish wfp guy at some flats we clean. He was saying that the folk above have the right to maintain their property as its in their deeds. How does that go when wfp above and wetting or dirtying the windows down below? I use a board on the bottom windows and the owners are happy with this but Adam doesn't. Just wondering if any legal eagles out there know where we stand on this issue? Thanks m

Today I met Adam a Polish wfp guy at some flats we clean. He was saying that the folk above have the right to maintain their property as its in their deeds. How does that go when wfp above and wetting or dirtying the windows down below? I use a board on the bottom windows and the owners are happy with this but Adam doesn't. Just wondering if any legal eagles out there know where we stand on this issue? Thanks m
If you aren't prepared to clean the windows below out of courtesy then I would suggest you cease cleaning the block. You might be able to get them on board but we have got rid of just about all these troublesome flats as it just caused me too much stress with verbally aggressive neighbours.

I only have one job like this and likely the neighbour never said a word ( very probably is a tenant )  but im always ready to clean his windows if he complains then just cross off that customer from my list for future visits

If you aren't prepared to clean the windows below out of courtesy then I would suggest you cease cleaning the block. You might be able to get them on board but we have got rid of just about all these troublesome flats as it just caused me too much stress with verbally aggressive neighbours.
We clean top flats and the water goes on the flats below if they complain I politely ask who they complain ti when it rains ?? Why should the customer have to have dirty windows beacause the flat below won’t pay ti have there windows cleaned , we do some windows on blocks of flats owned by a housing association , after I got several complaints I contacted the housing association ,they told me to carry on cleaning for people and to report the complainers to them , I haven’t had any issues since , the complainers were told either get your windows cleaned at the same time or stop moaning ,. 

We never do free cleans so either they pay or they get drips from above end off .

I politely ask who they complain ti when it rains ?? Why should the customer have to have dirty windows beacause the flat below won’t pay ti have there windows cleaned 
agree 

but it reminds me of the day I was jet washing a driveway and neighbour came and complained that water was going on his side - I  also politely explained him "that's called gravity sir" :))  I instantly regretted

he gathered few other neighbours on my head - so to cut the long story short - I had to quick-clean the path alongside his house just to calm the spirit

agree 

but it reminds me of the day I was jet washing a driveway and neighbour came and complained that water was going on his side - I  also politely explained him "that's called gravity sir" :))  I instantly regretted

he gathered few other neighbours on my head - so to cut the long story short - I had to quick-clean the path alongside his house just to calm the spirit
Pressure washing and getting dirt on someone’s drive is a bit different to a bit if water on a few windows but I hear what you are saying 

We clean top flats and the water goes on the flats below if they complain I politely ask who they complain ti when it rains ?? Why should the customer have to have dirty windows beacause the flat below won’t pay ti have there windows cleaned , we do some windows on blocks of flats owned by a housing association , after I got several complaints I contacted the housing association ,they told me to carry on cleaning for people and to report the complainers to them , I haven’t had any issues since , the complainers were told either get your windows cleaned at the same time or stop moaning ,. 

We never do free cleans so either they pay or they get drips from above end off .
I think that's what the Polish guy was telling me that folk have a right to have their windows cleaned and we have a right to use wfp because its the safest way. There's no way I'm cleaning windows below for free but I have came up with a solution. I jam a 6mm ply board on bottom windows to deflect the drips away from their sills so no water hits the window. What upset me was the woman who came out to complain as she just got her windows cleaned. I asked her for her window cleaners number and I would have passed on both my customers on the second level. Then she dropped the bombshell, he only does ground floor windows because he's scared of heights. ??

I think that's what the Polish guy was telling me that folk have a right to have their windows cleaned and we have a right to use wfp because its the safest way. There's no way I'm cleaning windows below for free but I have came up with a solution. I jam a 6mm ply board on bottom windows to deflect the drips away from their sills so no water hits the window. What upset me was the woman who came out to complain as she just got her windows cleaned. I asked her for her window cleaners number and I would have passed on both my customers on the second level. Then she dropped the bombshell, he only does ground floor windows because he's scared of heights. ??
Thats a whole lot of hassle/time to go to for window cleaning. Either go ahead and clean them as is or do neighbor's too. Personally I wouldn't clean nothing for free or cost my self time fixing boards, I'll take it on and if complaints below I'll replace easy enough 

Thats a whole lot of hassle/time to go to for window cleaning. Either go ahead and clean them as is or do neighbor's too. Personally I wouldn't clean nothing for free or cost my self time fixing boards, I'll take it on and if complaints below I'll replace easy enough 
I don't need the hassle but I like both my customers so I'm sticking with them and its only 8 windows for £20.

agree 

That's what happened to us. What appeared to be all the residents confronting us from all the flats. A couple wouldn't listen that all of their windows weren't below the flat I was cleaning and not one of their windows was wet.

Oh, by the way, I had always put the brush over the lower flat windows out of courtesy.

Decided there and then that I don't do flats above flats. I know it won't happen here but I had a gun drawn on me in South Africa over a difference of opinion. I don't know what the guy was on. Now I don't do confrontation. Mob violence is easy to stir up and those neighbours were already fired up. Again, in South Africa I've experienced how quickly a peaceful crowd can be stirred up to turn violent very quickly by a handful of trouble makers when race is involved.

I don't want someone to cause me injury, kick a panel in of my van or break my pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must admit if I paid someone to clean my windows then next day another window cleaner did flat above and then had to look at mucky water spots for rest of month I wouldn't be happy

I've had it years ago and found the whingers never to have a window cleaner as the windows were filthy and they were just looking for a freebie, some months later I lost the jobs I had as the resident's association got the building owners to contract someone in on a regular basis headache over as it was only 4-5 jobs 

Latest Posts

Back