Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Vehicle modification - will it pass the MOT

Iurie

I recently sold my transit  and using wife's car  with few modifications and was wondering will it go thro MOT next year ? 

What do u think guys   -  will I have to rip off the vinyl from rear windows ?!  or has nothing to do the MOT  as all vans have no windows at all 

also im a bit confused about this car payload  - it says 950 kg  x 950 kg is that per axle ?  considering that the car doesn't weigh more than 1300kg  then i should be ok with a 400 L water tank  ? 

need to call the insure tomorrow 

you take care 

12.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

13.jpg

132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MOT checks for mechanical faults and the front windscreen for damage. Those side windows should be okay. If in doubt just ring the MOT test centre and ask!

There's loads of crew vans out there with rear seats but solid panels and they're on the road..

On a side note, you might have just solved my vehicle finding woes.. I'd never thought of blanking out the glass like that..

MOT checks for mechanical faults and the front windscreen for damage. Those side windows should be okay. If in doubt just ring the MOT test centre and ask!

There's loads of crew vans out there with rear seats but solid panels and they're on the road..

On a side note, you might have just solved my vehicle finding woes.. I'd never thought of blanking out the glass like that..
Yeap and you still have 4 seats up with a 280L tank 

If i would ve bought a Van - almost certainly i had to add VAT on top and since is a Van the road tax is £260 a year regarding whether is a small or big van . Road tax for mine is only £20 lol 
spacer.png

20200418_121108.jpg

If i would ve bought a Van - almost certainly i had to add VAT on top and since is a Van the road tax is £260 a year regarding whether is a small or big van . Road tax for mine is only £20 lol 
spacer.png

View attachment 20092
I'm sorry but that scary. You will have absolutely no chance of survival in an accident. That's just not safe.

An airbag going off won't save you being impaled on your steering column.

I'm sorry but that scary. You will have absolutely no chance of survival in an accident. That's just not safe.

An airbag going off won't save you being impaled on your steering column.
Sadly spruce many do  this kind of thing not realising what will happen in an accident , there is a local window cleaner to me has a 1000 ltr ibc tank in his Peugeot partner van and it’s held in place by two one inch wide ratchet straps , he said I only half fill it so it’s fine !,,,, what he doesn’t realise is that makes it worse due to water surge .

Sadly spruce many do  this kind of thing not realising what will happen in an accident , there is a local window cleaner to me has a 1000 ltr ibc tank in his Peugeot partner van and it’s held in place by two one inch wide ratchet straps , he said I only half fill it so it’s fine !,,,, what he doesn’t realise is that makes it worse due to water surge .

spacer.png

View attachment 20092
Please @Iurie. Get you tank secured properly.

There was a window cleaner killed in a 3 way bumper bashing accident in Norfolk a while back. His tank slide forward and crushed him.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/man-in-his-20s-dies-in-a1067-collision-1-5277880

This was reported on the other forum back in 2017.

Another well known poster added.

Been told by a friend of the deceased he was 23 and it was a wydale tank strapped in using straps.

Please @Iurie this is for your family's sake.

https://sciencing.com/how-8395603-calculate-change-momentum.html

The example used was a vehicle weighing 909kgs. Your tank weighs 300kgs + when full - 1/3 of the example.

Hitting a solid wall at 60MPH exerted a force 550 times the cars weight. Scary isn't it.

Please @Iurie. Get you tank secured properly.

There was a window cleaner killed in a 3 way bumper bashing accident in Norfolk a while back. His tank slide forward and crushed him.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/man-in-his-20s-dies-in-a1067-collision-1-5277880

This was reported on the other forum back in 2017.

Another well known poster added.

Been told by a friend of the deceased he was 23 and it was a wydale tank strapped in using straps.

Please @Iurie this is for your family's sake.

https://sciencing.com/how-8395603-calculate-change-momentum.html

The example used was a vehicle weighing 909kgs. Your tank weighs 300kgs + when full - 1/3 of the example.

Hitting a solid wall at 60MPH exerted a force 550 times the cars weight. Scary isn't it.
yes very scary actually ..    Thanks for your post  

I did  bolt down the plywood the tanks seats on  and there are two bolts on each side of the tank with 1inch  ratchet strap wrapping the tank thro the middle section ..  I know that's not enough but have no idea how else to secure the tank . 

A metal frame would definitely do the job but i reckon that's pricey 

I mainly drive in a 30-40 miles zone but need to sort it out asap , what if I add / bolt down another ratchet strap ( 1.5 inch heavy duty )  - any thoughts would be highly appreciated 

20200418_121108.thumb.jpg.2fbf07a14a98ad0c3d1b8041dd7dccd8.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

With the greatest of respect your life is worth more than money , get a tank and frame professionally fitted , a van with a steel bulk head will also give you more protection , you might be able to get a bulkhead from a scrap yard and put it in most are bolted in . Having been in the Fireservice for over 30 years I have seen many people killed in RTC you don’t  need to be traveling fast to be killed and it doesn’t have to be your fault either , another important point is other stuff in the back of the van in an impact will continue to travel and will act as a major injury hazard if it hits you such things like hose reel, poles .fittings . I don’t  want to criticise you but think about your family should the worst happen ,all the best with your buisness.

I think your insurance would be null and void for carrying an unsafe load and you could be charged under traffic laws. When we are young we do daft things but don't realise at the time. I would try and see if I could lease a van for 4 years on buy one on HP.

With the greatest of respect your life is worth more than money , get a tank and frame professionally fitted , a van with a steel bulk head will also give you more protection , you might be able to get a bulkhead from a scrap yard and put it in most are bolted in . Having been in the Fireservice for over 30 years I have seen many people killed in RTC you don’t  need to be traveling fast to be killed and it doesn’t have to be your fault either , another important point is other stuff in the back of the van in an impact will continue to travel and will act as a major injury hazard if it hits you such things like hose reel, poles .fittings . I don’t  want to criticise you but think about your family should the worst happen ,all the best with your buisness.
I found a used factory fit option bulkhead for both my vans as they are more structurally built than the ones available as an after market accessory @Iurie.

This tank I have now has a fully welded steel frame that is bolted through the chassis with addition spreader bars to add strength.

I well know that even with all this extra security I don't stand much of a chance of survival in a 60mph head on crash. So I also drive with extra vigilance. We (the wife and I) both did an advanced drivers course overseas many years ago which I have found invaluable to this day. I leave a bigger gap to the car in front in the van and slow down and check to make sure that the car at the junction is waiting for me even when I have right of way. If someone is tailgating me I drop back further from the vehicle I'm following.

I'm sorry but a family car just isn't designed as a vehicle for carrying goods. I appreciate that many people carriers are based on van bodies but they aren't dual purpose.

When the Berlingo van first came out in 1998 a people carrier version became available in 1999. The Berlingo van came out in 2 models, a 600LX and an 800LX. The 600LX had a 600kg payload and the 800LX an 800 kg payload. The people carrier was called the Multispace. It had softer suspension and only had a payload of 450kgs. As a 5 seater people carrier that didn't leave much left over for the weight of luggage.

These are the size of factory fitted lashing points they aren't sufficient at all, more so for a tank with 100's of kg of water in tank up against a drivers seat, pure madness 

20200202_115541.jpg

20200202_115500.jpg

With respect

Uneven loading 

insurance policy void 

Insufficient payload bonding 

MOT issues with access to the 3rd seat as its V5 category as a car and the inspection can't access the seat or seatbelt 

Should of brought a hearse and had a layflat tank. Or scrap this project before that hearse carries you 

With respect

Uneven loading 

insurance policy void 

Insufficient payload bonding 

MOT issues with access to the 3rd seat as its V5 category as a car and the inspection can't access the seat or seatbelt 

Should of brought a hearse and had a layflat tank. Or scrap this project before that hearse carries you 
I drove my hearse up the M1 yesterday.

Got nicked for undertaking ?

Back