Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin change now or later

Jango

I have an inline TDS meter the ppm is reading 003 on it. 
I don’t have a DI bottle in my van, so I run from Ibc to van tank. When I test it coming out of the brush  from my van tank it’s 000. So would you change the resin now. ?

If you still have pure water in your van it will slowly dilute down until you end up with 003 in your van tank as well.
Yeah I understand what your saying, but I completely emptied my tank during lockdown and cleaned it out. Then filled up from ibc which was showing 003. But out of the brush from van tank at 000. That’s why I’m unsure as to change resin or not. I’m going to let it go to 5 like part timer said. I’ve a few friends that change at 5. But I always prefer 000. ?

Yeah I understand what your saying, but I completely emptied my tank during lockdown and cleaned it out. Then filled up from ibc which was showing 003. But out of the brush from van tank at 000. That’s why I’m unsure as to change resin or not. I’m going to let it go to 5 like part timer said. I’ve a few friends that change at 5. But I always prefer 000. ?
“A man with one clock knows what time it is; a man with two is never sure”

If you are using a handheld tds meter to measure the water coming out of your tank then the TDS meters possibly don't agree.

In my case I've found it virtually impossible to keep a tds of 000 for any length of time. That's just how it's turned out for me. Even after a complete change of filters, ro and resin it's generally back up 001 within a short while and creeps up steadily from then. I find it tends to hold between 003-005 for a long time and I've now accepted that as my usual, normal, working perameter. I don't get too concerned till it goes above 005-006 and I've used it on a couple of occasions at 010-011 without issue, when I've been caught out with a sudden spike. My tap tds is around 320-350. I used to lose sleep over it not being 000 in the early days but with a bit more experience and thinking, I decided ; it doesn't need to be surgically pure. I'm using it to clean windows, not operating theatres. As long as the result is visually clean windows and as long as I'm happy with the results and not getting complaints then that's fine. Also, the financial saving to me of not chasing a constant reading of 000 is a great relief.

In my case I've found it virtually impossible to keep a tds of 000 for any length of time. That's just how it's turned out for me. Even after a complete change of filters, ro and resin it's generally back up 001 within a short while and creeps up steadily from then. I find it tends to hold between 003-005 for a long time and I've now accepted that as my usual, normal, working perameter. I don't get too concerned till it goes above 005-006 and I've used it on a couple of occasions at 010-011 without issue, when I've been caught out with a sudden spike. My tap tds is around 320-350. I used to lose sleep over it not being 000 in the early days but with a bit more experience and thinking, I decided ; it doesn't need to be surgically pure. I'm using it to clean windows, not operating theatres. As long as the result is visually clean windows and as long as I'm happy with the results and not getting complaints then that's fine. Also, the financial saving to me of not chasing a constant reading of 000 is a great relief.
I have noticed before it quite quickly jumps to 001 but stays there for a long time. Resin been in 6 months

My RO takes my tds down from 70 to 002 ppm and then goes through my resin. I only use 1000 Litres per month so maybe change resin every 5 years unless it breaks down, so maybe every 2 years would be better.

My RO takes my tds down from 70 to 002 ppm and then goes through my resin. I only use 1000 Litres per month so maybe change resin every 5 years unless it breaks down, so maybe every 2 years would be better.
I reckon if you use 1000 litres a month and your tap tds is 70, with 002 going in the di resin in 11 litre di would last a good 5 years or more. 

Looks like it's working well for you as is. I don't think I'd be concerned. My small, double ro's take it down from 330 ish to 015, I change them at 025. I then run it through two fire extinguisher size resin vessels. I'm not sure how long we get out of the ro's, I'd say perhap 12-18 months and about 4-8 months between changing resin, one vessel at a time, in Rotation. We generally use about 2000 litres a week. Two operators, one van. About 100 houses per week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an inline TDS meter the ppm is reading 003 on it. 
I don’t have a DI bottle in my van, so I run from Ibc to van tank. When I test it coming out of the brush  from my van tank it’s 000. So would you change the resin now. ?
Are you testing soon after starting to produce water or giving it a few minutes? It makes a difference as it takes the R/O a few mins to "settle".

Isn't this '000 PPM' an arbitrary number 'invented' - i.e if Ionics came up with their 000 PPB unit first - we would all be worrying about needing to get to a 'magical' 000 PPB reading? What's the science behind the magic 000 PPM - other than it's a nice round number and looks reassuring flashing up on a controller? I don't sweat it all too much and no complaints so far..

Looks like it's working well for you as is. I don't think I'd be concerned. My small, double ro's take it down from 330 ish to 015, I change them at 025. I then run it through two fire extinguisher size resin vessels. I'm not sure how long we get out of the ro's, I'd say perhap 12-18 months and about 4-8 months between changing resin, one vessel at a time, in Rotation. We generally use about 2000 litres a week. Two operators, one van.
I got told the chlorine in the water slowly kills the membrane that's why it's good to change the carbon filter every 6 months. fwiw

Looks like it's working well for you as is. I don't think I'd be concerned. My small, double ro's take it down from 330 ish to 015, I change them at 025. I then run it through two fire extinguisher size resin vessels. I'm not sure how long we get out of the ro's, I'd say perhap 12-18 months and about 4-8 months between changing resin, one vessel at a time, in Rotation. We generally use about 2000 litres a week. Two operators, one van.
We are lucky up here, our tds can be 35 to 90 and mine is always around 70. Glad I went for RO now and don't think I really need the resin but its good to show folk around my system. Was even using cold water and I nor anyone else noticed any difference with temp being up now. Off now to try some hot water cleaning to see what happens, nothing probably. 

I got told the chlorine in the water slowly kills the membrane that's why it's good to change the carbon filter every 6 months. fwiw
I was told the same so I upgraded the filtration from 1 sediment and 2 carbon after the booster pump, to 2 sediment before the booster pump to help reduce the wear on it and 3 carbon after the booster pump and before the ro's. My ro's seem to be lasting longer than they used to before the alteration. We change the carbon filters at about the same spacing as you do but the sediment filters more frequently as they start to look dirty. The sediment filters are in a semi-transparent double housing so they're easy to monitor.

My tap TDS is around 70 -90 at home I have a twin ros with a 25 ltr resin vessel , I produce a minimum of 1000 ltr of pure 5 days a week and we do work in other parts of the country where the TDS is over 450 , I find I get a constant reading from the tank of 000 TDS and I change the resin once a year , on some commercial jobs we are using 1500 + ltr per day , I dont find the resin lasts as long as it used to years ago a 25 ltr resin bottle would last well over two years , but I wasn’t using quite as much water then but resin definitely isn’t what it used to be . 

My tap TDS is around 70 -90 at home I have a twin ros with a 25 ltr resin vessel , I produce a minimum of 1000 ltr of pure 5 days a week and we do work in other parts of the country where the TDS is over 450 , I find I get a constant reading from the tank of 000 TDS and I change the resin once a year , on some commercial jobs we are using 1500 + ltr per day , I dont find the resin lasts as long as it used to years ago a 25 ltr resin bottle would last well over two years , but I wasn’t using quite as much water then but resin definitely isn’t what it used to be . 
I've seen a few of you guys who've been going longer than my 6 years say that the resin isn't what it used to be. No doubt you're right. I wonder what the reason is?

Thank you @Part Timer. I find it strange the different readings. Can’t understand it. 
I have always had this. whilst producing the water, when all was new, 0. Then when the resin was a bit more used, 2, 3 and now 4. However, that is when producing it. After its been sat a while anywhere, it would go down to 0 from 1 or 2. 1 from 2 or 3 and now 1 or 2 from 4. Its always been that way. I trust the lower figure, after its sat a while. Either way, its perfect fine for cleaning with. You can always keep testing it on your own glass and see when its no good.?

Latest Posts

Back