Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting a window cleaning business now during these hard times?

Dean6

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone.

In short is it a good idea to start up now? during these unpredictable times.

I was thinking of getting a website up and investing into WFP, as I have done this before. I've been trained, and while I was building up another business, I had a small window cleaning round for

additional income, which now I have been forced to stop, as I was a personal trainer ( all gyms are now closed).

Now, I know one of the best ways to get new business when starting window cleaning is door knocking, which I don't think many people would want now (with social distancing), so other than having leaflets, newspaper adverts, local shop window adverts, and an online presents to get leads, is it still a good idea to start something?

I have read on here than some window cleaners have stopped, but many others are still going. I have heard that some people are saying that they want to leave having windows cleaned at the present time. 

So, I was wondering if anyone has any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Keep safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, if you have another way to pay the bills then I would stick to that for now.  If youre going to starve, then start a window cleaning business.  It will be the hardest thing in the world to do right now so good luck.  I have had no new enquiries on Facebook, checkatrade, website, local mags in the last 6 weeks so advertising I would say is a waste of time for me.   Its also seen as potentially cynical to be trying to gain business in these times. The only extra work I'm getting is from existing customers wanting extras. 

Hi, if you have another way to pay the bills then I would stick to that for now.  If youre going to starve, then start a window cleaning business.  It will be the hardest thing in the world to do right now so good luck.  I have had no new enquiries on Facebook, checkatrade, website, local mags in the last 6 weeks so advertising I would say is a waste of time for me.   Its also seen as potentially cynical to be trying to gain business in these times. The only extra work I'm getting is from existing customers wanting extras. 
I find that weird that you’ve had no enquiries. I wasn’t advertising and was getting a new enquiry every other day initially, now it’s gone through the roof! I gave 9 quotes yesterday alone people seem to be sick of looking at their dirty windows. Granted a lot of them have been for add-ons.

In short is it a good idea to start up now? during these unpredictable times.
There's only one way to find out.... the first step is the hardest!

I've not canvassed or advertised for four years now. My van is not sign-written but I'm still getting plenty of "walk-ups". Not one single residential customer has asked me to not clean the windows - the only places I'm not cleaning are a couple of cafes, a beauty spa & some holiday lets.

Back