Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

making pure becomeing a nightmare, Connections

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

Right where to start.        The only way atm  to make my pure is becoming a nightmare.        Kitchen facing front garden.      no outside tap as of yet.         This is my scenario.     been using this way now for 5 years.        leaks starting to become too much .     the odd flooding.       Have to be in to leave ro on for next day

Placing a jug under screw on connection.                         Any of you can suggest ways to have a secure connection     I would appreciate.       I may have to drill a hole in work top if I need to 

I cannot go on this way

ro1.jpg

ro2.jpg

ro3.jpg

Mrs going despair         

ro4.jpg

I used to use ro unit albeit on a smaller scale. 

These days i use spotless water...its quick and simple. If you haven't got one near you apply for an account anyway and this way they might be able to see a need for a unit in your area... But you probably know that already.... 

I looked   yes  one about 5 miles away,  it will be around £18  to fill 500 litre tank up.         3 x weekly will be around £60       looks a bit too much for myself.        there must be a better way for me to get better connections for under sink

Don't despair mate. I don't think it will be a difficult or expensive fix.

The first thing I'd do is take the water supply through the wall to the outside. That way if you get any leaks they won't be in the house. It should be a relatively straightforward job for a competent plumber to tee into the cold water supply under your sink and run a pipe through the outside wall.

if I were you, I'd get an outside tap fitted at the same time while he's there. I'd have it independant of the processing supply. That way you wouldn't have the risk of your processing being interrupted if someone was watering the garden, and perhaps forgetting to reconnect the processing.

Do some in-depth thinking and mental rehearsal (head scratching, I call it) before you go ahead as to where the best place is for your outside tap. You want to get it right first time. Will you be using it for watering the garden, washing the vehicles, or both?

I'd always opt for being independent of Spotless if you can. They have a unit just 3 minutes from me and I have used them on a few occasions when I've had to wait for parts but I like the freedom, independence and cost affectivness of producing my own. Also I don't have to worry that they may decide to remove the unit.

Good luck. You might please let us know what you decide and how you get on? ?

If you set up an account you can credit for £20 for free...and it will come in handy. 

Ive still got a unit just in case something happens...but at the moment there has been no problem with it.... 

thanks for replys.    I have an outside small out house.    that was my main route  before all this covid 19  stopped some trades  to not come into houses.    ive posted a pic      

My idea was to get water supply going into outhouse  via piped to another tap inside outhouse   taking it from there.     with hoselock fitting on shed tap

qne.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

drainpipe hopefully can be waste from outhouse

20200424_110529.jpg

thanks for replys.    I have an outside small out house.    that was my main route  before all this covid 19  stopped some trades  to not come into houses.    ive posted a pic      

My idea was to get water supply going into outhouse  via piped to another tap inside outhouse   taking it from there.     with hoselock fitting on shed tap

View attachment 20176

View attachment 20177

View attachment 20178

That's pretty much what I did. I used John Guest fittings and pipe connected to the copper that came through the wall. This has a JG stop valve on it. This then continues just under the path to the outside shed for the purefied processing and the washing machine. I branched off this line to a separate brass tap for washing the vehicles and watering the garden. All of the pipes are insulated and I put the waste into the downpipe drain the same as you're planning on doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think I have missed something but why not get an outside tap ?.it wouldn’t cost a fortune to get one put in .
He also has to use a booster pump so his requirements are a little more complicated.

Those brass Y connectors are awful at the best of times. They leak but because they are meant to be on an outside tap it doesn't matter. He also has one of those cheap washing machine stop valves which aren't designed to be switched on and off several times a week either.

His situation was a forum discussion a number of years ago. He needs a bigger storage tank with water plumbed and electric wired into the out house. The electric needs to be done safely so needs an electrician to do that. He also needs the system on a float switch so he can leave the r/o processing water whilst he is out working.

View attachment 20176

View attachment 20177

View attachment 20178

I thought you were doing this last year ? after I advised the same thing as @Davy G 

Tap outside looks like you have a drain for the soak away waste going by the pipe work in the photo, buy a small keter cabinet place under the window will have to modify the cabinet a little because of the pipe work,   line the cabinet inside and out  with 2” insulation install RO and Bob your uncle.. 

image.jpg

Put the RO on the sink drainer so drips go down the sink waste, red waste pipe down plug hole. Use this to connect water supply to RO of mixer tap - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133393220106
Trouble is, it's not a nice thing to have cluttering up the kitchen. Another thing is, if a pipe bursts it could mean water spraying all over the kitchen, especially if he uses a pressure booster pump. I've had JG pipes burst a few times when it was in a shed at a buddy's house.

I built a lean-to shed onto the the side of my garage. This houses the processing equipment, washing machine, dryer, freezer and my kayaking gear. I took an electric cable through the wall from the garage and fitted two double switched sockets. Not a difficult job as long as you know what you're doing. Any doubts at all get someone who does.

I put the 1000 LITRE IBC and non-submersible transfer pump in the garage and took the supply pipe from the processor in the shed across the rafters to it.

Keeping the processing equipment separate to the garage protects my classic motorcycle, books, camping gear, tools etc that are kept in it,  as there is no high pressure water equipment in there that might burst .

Filling up the van is a simple matter as it's parked backed up to about 3 feet from the door. Finish work, park up, fill up the water tank and plug in the 2kw. immersion ready for the next day.

It's so important to think things through properly before you start. Make it as quick, easy and secure as possible.

When I get home after a busy day's work, I've generally had enough, I want to get ready for the next day and get finished. It might be raining and cold so the prep for the next day has to be as quick and easy as possible.

I know not everyone has a garage or their own parking but I strongly suggest, make the working day as easy as possible.

As Den said, a Keter store would be fine for the processing equipment but I don't know if you could fit one big enough for the IBC. Making your own shed you can build it to fit and suit your needs and available space.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The shed is on my drive I have quite a large drive ?it’s only. 600l ibc  tank 

I permanently park my van next to the tank so very easy to fill ? the RO DI is the other side of the fence. 

Back