Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weed killing block paving help

M4corridor

Hi all , I’ve got a job cleaning up a block paving driveway, and it’s got weeds growing in the joints, what’s the best course of action for this?

i could do with an instant result !

any help greatly appreciated!

Spray with weed killer that goes down into the roots ,leave it for a week pressure wash job done , new stuff will re grow after cleaning it’s always best to explaine this tk the customer and maybe offer a maintenance spray every couple of months or so .

Depending how bad...you might find as you clean it, with a fsc, they lift up and come out along with moss etc...or you simply need a weed extractor tool (below) to rake out any stubborn ones post clean - it's as long as a rake so no/little bending down.

Defo recommend the cutsy spot sprays as soon as any leaves start to appear on any new/regrowth.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending how bad...you might find as you clean it, with a fsc, they lift up and come out along with moss etc...or you simply need a weed extractor tool (below) to rake out any stubborn ones post clean - it's as long as a rake so no/little bending down.

Defo recommend the cutsy spot sprays as soon as any leaves start to appear on any new/regrowth.

View attachment 20200
Yes you can just pressure wash it but if you don t kill the roots within 3-4 weeks it will all grow back and customers will be moaning been there done that 

Yes you can just pressure wash it but if you don t kill the roots within 3-4 weeks it will all grow back and customers will be moaning been there done that
Hmm maybe I'm just lucky - I do use hypo which will also kill 'em but that's what I do for every job - never weed kill a week before -...many repeats and referrals...so must be doing something right? Like i said using a fsc most weeds float/come out roots and all...

I tell 'em to use glysophate systemic weedkiller for any new weed growth...post clean.

I always recommend no weed sand 90% go with that which helps - and my regular customer's drives/patio always look lovely and clean and weed free for years ? In fact just been asked by a regular to redo his drive and path, must be 5 yo now and only now starting to look unloved - I do an excellent job with the fsc and raking I do have to admit ? 

Hmm maybe I'm just lucky - I do use hypo which will also kill 'em but that's what I do for every job - never weed kill a week before -...many repeats and referrals...so must be doing something right? Like i said using a fsc most weeds float/come out roots and all...

I tell 'em to use glysophate systemic weedkiller for any new weed growth...post clean.

I always recommend no weed sand 90% go with that which helps - and my regular customer's drives/patio always look lovely and clean and weed free for years ? In fact just been asked by a regular to redo his drive and path, must be 5 yo now and only now starting to look unloved - I do an excellent job with the fsc and raking I do have to admit ? 
We use hypo as well it will kill the tops but not deep seated  roots , each to there own .

We use hypo as well it will kill the tops but not deep seated  roots , each to there own .
Hypo after or before??

Hi all, thanks for the advice, I’m going for turbo nozzle for 2 reasons, I get a better finish with it and I’ve put in a high price so need to be there a little while !!!

ill advise the customer about the weeds, the turbo nozzle will get rid of them but I’ll tell him he needs to keep on top of it to keep them away! 
thanks again!

Hypo after or before??

Hi all, thanks for the advice, I’m going for turbo nozzle for 2 reasons, I get a better finish with it and I’ve put in a high price so need to be there a little while !!!

ill advise the customer about the weeds, the turbo nozzle will get rid of them but I’ll tell him he needs to keep on top of it to keep them away! 
thanks again!
We hypo before cleaning , but others hypo after . 

Hmmmm! Surely the surface cleaner or nozzle will do the job of cleaning it so no need before?

ill give it a sprinkle after and let him know!
I use hypo to kill all the green algi spores it does  seam to stay cleaner longer doing it this way , where I live it’s a very damp area and algi can re grow within a couple of weeks without treating , pressure washing on its own just gives the algi a hair cut and spores are left behind and this then encourages rapid growth . 

Enlightening????...really the bit about where a *seed bank comes in...? utter tosh - honestly that page reads so badly !

Let me guess with these 'all knowing weeds' - knowing were tying to eviscerate them, then the only hope for mankind is to pay  green thumb to do battle for me - whilst parting with a thick wedge.

The best lawns I see are old boys who care about their garden - the worst ones are those serviced by green thumb/A1 lawns blah franchisees - scorched all over patches everywhere...tosh ? ? ? ? ?

*A seed bank stores seeds to preserve genetic diversity; hence it is a type of gene bank

Enlightening????...really the bit about where a *seed bank comes in...? utter tosh - honestly that page reads so badly !

Let me guess with these 'all knowing weeds' - knowing were tying to eviscerate them, then the only hope for mankind is to pay  green thumb to do battle for me - whilst parting with a thick wedge.

The best lawns I see are old boys who care about their garden - the worst ones are those serviced by green thumb/A1 lawns blah franchisees - scorched all over patches everywhere...tosh ? ? ? ? ?

*A seed bank stores seeds to preserve genetic diversity; hence it is a type of gene bank
Good to know you are a horticulturist now and where we can come for advice. Your the character giving Alex a hard time and beginning to resemble a Troll. We usually ask folk like you to join the other forum. fwiw ?

I don't think anyone on here knows anything about weeds
Easy tiger...I think you'll find you implied neither Pjj  or me knew what we are talking about with regards weed control...both our approaches seem to keep our custy's delighted.

Honestly mate reread that site you linked to - it's well, amateurish at best e.g  "So if you cut a weed in half and leave it in the ground, it will grow. If you cut of both ends of it and leave a stalk there, it will grow into a new fuller weed." - What does that even mean - how can you cut off both ends of a weed (top and bottom - roots) and leave a stalk there??? or

"Weeds grow and eat purely based on the soil and the sun, unfortunately, they don't need both, they only need one"  Really? So weeds can grow in the pitch black - a seed *might* sprout (using nutrients from it's seed - but will not thrive - fact) or you pull out a weed from the ground and leave it on table  - it will not wither and die very quickly? Photosynthesis explains that differently - plants need light, nutrients (not necessarily from soil e.g epiphytes) and rain - but not according to your authority. - tosh mate. Seriously what info on that page did you honestly find 'enlightening'?? 

Come on that makes no sense - how is that enlightening? You need to do better...than post a link to nonsense - add value pal.

RE Alex think you'll find if you bother to do your own proper research that on carbon he acknowledged he should do more - for example include H&S information let alone proper warnings on the possible harm from his products...Would you trust the health implications provided by cigarette manufacturer?  On the last occasion he 'stalked' the forum and tried to explain a poor delivery process as the only option - which is evidently not true.

Things get better by challenging 'em or adding value - rather than just knocking others or sucking up to 'the man'! 

Generally unless I know what I'm talking about I don't post - that's why I hope I add value - rather than just randomly mentioning what I've done today - like 'em some..

Back