Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leisure battery

darryn71

Anybody recommend a good leisure battery

I charge battery everyday as it's not connected to van relay

I only do a couple of mile a day if that as all my work is local

Had a couple of leisure batterys most they have lasted is 6 month if that

Any recommendations thanks

Something wrong somewhere along the line. 
I too travel very little it is on a split charger but I charge it every 3 days. I’ve had it now 3 years almost. No issues. A lot recommend the numax looking further down there is a link via Tanya batteries

Numax XV35MF 120 amp. Leisure battery. Mine's 4 years old and still A1. Had Lion before as I didn't know better, but I do now.

No matter what battery you choose keep the charge topped up or you'll shorten its life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you charge battery every night Davy?
No mate, I've never mains charged. I have two batteries wired together in parallel. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Same as jump starting a car. I have a good quality SCR (Durite). I have two batteries as I have two pumps. The SCR keeps them both charged. Because they are so big and powerful they never seem to be under strain even after a very long working day with very little driving. I always go big and strong with batteries as that way they last way longer. .

Anybody recommend a good leisure battery

I charge battery everyday as it's not connected to van relay

I only do a couple of mile a day if that as all my work is local

Had a couple of leisure batterys most they have lasted is 6 month if that

Any recommendations thanks
You charge everyday but how? Just a charger or conditioner? Charge mine every night. CTEK charger has kept my battery tip top for 3 years now. 

You charge everyday but how? Just a charger or conditioner? Charge mine every night. CTEK charger has kept my battery tip top for 3 years now. 
?

This is important @darryn71. You have to have the right charger to charge a leisure battery. I was replacing leisure batteries once a year when I was using a starter battery charger.

I have always recommended Numax batteries as they have served us well. For the past 12 years our local Parts guy has supplied us with Numax but there was an issue with discounts so he supplied me an Oldham flooded leisure battery. It was supplied in April 2014 and still going strong.

Getting a flashing "BAT" error on my controller. Original battery Avon 75 amp Heavy Duty that i got with facelift compact system 18 months ago, no idea if it's a poor or decent battery. I haven't charged it as often as I should have to be honest. 

Can't seem to get Numax over here, Exide seems popular or Yuasa. Can I increase the ampage when I buy a new battery?

Getting a flashing "BAT" error on my controller. Original battery Avon 75 amp Heavy Duty that i got with facelift compact system 18 months ago, no idea if it's a poor or decent battery. I haven't charged it as often as I should have to be honest. 

Can't seem to get Numax over here, Exide seems popular or Yuasa. Can I increase the ampage when I buy a new battery?
Here's Spring Controller's answer as to why BAT is displayed.

https://springltd.co/support

What do I do if BAT is displayed?

BAT means the battery voltage has dropped to 11V (11.5V for V9 controls) or less. The controller measures the voltage supplied to it down the RED and BLACK wires from the battery.

Note: In the case of older controllers it maybe showing the voltage measured at the controller, not the battery. You may find that testing the battery with a voltmeter will show a higher reading. To measure volt drop down the cable measure the voltage at the controller and at the battery.

Note: We recommend for a single pump system that as a minimum a 75Ah leisure battery is used. For two pump systems, a minimum 110Ah battery should be used. As the pump(s) draw current (amps) from the battery the volts are directly affected. The voltage will tend to decrease as the current to the pump increases.

Remember in general each pump will draw between 3 and 5 amps an hour depending on how fast and efficient the pump is. As the current initially available falls so the voltage also falls steadily however after continuous use the volts will fall away sharply, particularly once the voltage drops below 11V.

A Bat indication can be caused by the following:

1. A restriction to the water flow in the system. This will make the pump work harder, which in turn will draw more current and drag the voltage down.

2. The wires from the controller to the battery are too long. These wires should be as short as possible, because the longer the wire the greater the voltage drop. For example, the system could measure 12.5V at the battery but only measure 11.5V at the controller when the pump is running. This is because of the losses in the wiring from the battery to the controller.

Note: Old wiring with broken conductors will all have an impact on any volt drop down the cable. If there is a break in the cable or it has worn or damaged insulation then it could cause problems like a short to the chassis. In some cases, it may be worth replacing old or worn cables.

3. Poor connections to the controller. Do not change or replace the connectors supplied with the controller. If you do, you risk making a poor connection, which will also result in too large a voltage drop, thus triggering the BAT message to display.

Check the connectors and ensure they are not corroded or damaged - poor connections will also cause a voltage drop either between the battery and controller or pump and controller.

4. Your battery may need charging.

5. Your battery may be getting old and inefficient and not holding its charge.

6. Your Pump may have worn motor brushes and draw higher current this will increase any voltage drop down the cable.

7. Colder weather can affect the viscosity of water effectively making it flow slower. The pump will have to work harder drawing higher current. This will shorten battery life.

REMEMBER! If the voltage drops to 11.5V the controller will display BAT as a warning. If the voltage drops below 11.0V, the controller will shut down the system completely in order to protect the battery.

Manufacturers recommend that a battery is not run below 11.0V. (If you connect the battery directly to the pump, the system will still work but you may shorten the working life of the battery.)

Often if the controller is showing BAT or a low voltage the first thought is the controller is the problem, but it probably isn't. The controller is simply reporting what it is seeing!

8. If you have checked all of the above then you could try to disconnect the pole and fit an adapter so water can flow. Turn on the controller at the same rate. What is the controller reading now? If the voltage recovers (increases slightly) then the pole may have a problem like a blockage.

9. If the problem is still not found then next disconnect the hose reel and fit an adapter. If the voltage recovers then the problem is the hose. If the voltage does not recover then there may be a problem either in the system before the hose or with the pump.

10. You can also connect the pump directly to the battery (bypassing the controller). Put a voltmeter on the pump is there still a volt drop? Then the problem is either the pump or the battery!

Yes you can increase the size of your battery. You need to be looking at a class B battery. Most of us use 105/110 amp leisure batteries.

If you don't draw much current, ie. you only run a pump then you don't need a battery with a CCA value. If you run an electric hose reel or diesel heater then a leisure battery with a CCA value is better. Its a combination battery so half way between a starter battery and a genuine leisure battery. It isn't as good as either but will last better if you are drawing higher current loads.

Ordered new exide battery yesterday from Tayna batteries class b 115amh, not sure when it will arrive though. Been on to WCW, still talking to them. System still flashing bat, flow set to 72 and flow rate is still good but the digital control won't let me change the rate up or down, electric reel is working fine. Charged battery up and can see 13.7 on the controller for split second. WCW asked me to check to see if any damage to wires or fuses which I couldn't see. I have never messed around with the controller or wiring.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Ordered new exide battery yesterday from Tayna batteries class b 115amh, not sure when it will arrive though. Been on to WCW, still talking to them. System still flashing bat, flow set to 72 and flow rate is still good but the digital control won't let me change the rate up or down, electric reel is working fine. Charged battery up and can see 13.7 on the controller for split second. WCW asked me to check to see if any damage to wires or fuses which I couldn't see. I have never messed around with the controller or wiring.

View attachment 20337

View attachment 20338

View attachment 20339
Not being critical but try cleaning up you battery terminals and apply a light smear of grease they look a bit corroded and dry , this will help with current flow , remove the fittings and grease up the terminals  , this might help it always did with cars years ago . 

Not being critical but try cleaning up you battery terminals and apply a light smear of grease they look a bit corroded and dry , this will help with current flow , remove the fittings and grease up the terminals  , this might help it always did with cars years ago . 
Hey mate, wd 40 or tec cleaner for the terminals?

Hey mate, could I use wd 40 or tec cleaner degreser for the terminals?
We 40 would be fine for cleaning the terminals up and acting as a corrosion inhibitor , if you have a bit of grease on the terminals it tends to last longer than wd40 which over time evaporates . But yes it will help especially if done  regularly.

Cleaned everything up unfortunately, still same flashing on the display panel. Until i get that new battery and replace it I'm not going to know. Just bad timing I suppose as everything is closed, usually i would just pop over to Halfords and grab one. WCW did give me a number to ring for one of their guys in Liverpool who's well up on it, might give him a ring tomorrow.

Cleaned everything up unfortunately, still same flashing on the display panel. Until i get that new battery and replace it I'm not going to know. Just bad timing I suppose as everything is closed, usually i would just pop over to Halfords and grab one. WCW did give me a number to ring for one of their guys in Liverpool who's well up on it, might give him a ring tomorrow.
Try charging it up again and see if it makes any difference, also check each of the built connections as they could be corroded , clean them the same way just in case  

Try charging it up again and see if it makes any difference, also check each of the built connections as they could be corroded , clean them the same way just in case  
Yeah, bullet connectors don't have a great reputation in the auto-electrician trade according to the one I go to locally. Hall's Electrical, M4 J16. They do the electrical work on police cars and the like. Those blue ones in the photo look like DIY aimed from the likes of Halfords. They wouldn't be the best quality I'd imagine.

Back