Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which RO unit do I need

• Thread starter Deleted member 5762
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5762

Hello,

I’d like to start producing my own water (currently use spotless water as I don’t need much).

My round is part time due to an illness in the family (not expanding any time soon) and I need a maximum of about 50 litres of pure a day (about 200-250 litres a week, possibly less).

My TDS is about 280. I don’t mind if it takes a little while to produce the water.

Can any of you advise on which RO unit would possibly be best for me and whether I’d need a DI vessel as well?

Many thanks.

Go for a 450 from Daqua ( any news on his health?)

Pressure may be an issue, if you need to use a loud booster pump, you’ll want to purify quicker.

DI depends on your mains TDS, mine is 280 going in and 4 coming out, no need for DI.

Pressure may be an issue, if you need to use a loud booster pump, you’ll want to purify quicker.

DI depends on your mains TDS, mine is 280 going in and 4 coming out, no need for DI.
Thanks feeling lot better but still pains in chest but am active and back at work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Cannot do a full week may take some time.

Thanks @solarpanelcleaningltd.

@doug atkinson can you let me know the differences in the ones on your website please? The 100,150,200 etc?

I won’t pry but did see the comment regarding your health was part of the reply - I hope whatever health issue you have is on the mend now and wish you well.

I would recommend he polish that 4 off with a di vessel. I can start to see very faint spots on the glass from inside in direct sunlight at 5ppm with our water. (They aren't visible from looking at the glass from outside.) For me that just too close for comfort.

In the early days I was told by Peter Fogwell that I could use 4ppm water but I didn't ask how much lee way I had at 4ppm. So I experimented myself by filling a backpack with pure and topping it up with tap water.

@wgwindows needs to have a storage barrel to process water into if he goes the r/o route. We presume he is using 25 liter containers and if so he would need a means to transfer water from his storage barrel to these containers.

The size of r/o would depend on how long he can wait for water to be processed. Many years ago there was a DIY forum run by a windie who ran a 50GPD r/o continuously for his limited water needs. But I think he also had a 1000 liter IBC tank for storage.

In our early window cleaning days we had a 450gpd r/o. It took around 36 hours to fill a 1000 IBC tank. That was at 50psi mains water pressure.

This r/o produced enough water to keep a single user with enough water to clean windows full time.

An r/o membrane's performance is tested under perfect conditions, ie water temperature. Gallons are American gallons so 4 liters in our money and a day is 24 hours. We found that an r/o produces about a third of the manufacturers claims in the real world. An r/o also produces water slower in winter when the water is colder.

Thanks @spruce

yes you are right, I use barrels and a backpack. I don’t have a storage tank and haven’t really got the room for one. Trying to explore the best option for my needs.

I tinkered with the idea of using just a DI / double DI as long as it worked out cheaper than going to spotless. Plus when you take into account the travelling time etc that’s more time you could spend working instead. What I didn’t want is any resin going bad if I didn’t need it for a few days at a time.

Totally agree with Spruce, I have had faint spotting in my windows with 003 tds before, 

my 450gpd produces approx 1000l per day in summer and then approx 800l in the winter with a water pressure of approx 67 psi. 

Good to hear your on the mend @doug atkinson

Thanks @spruce

yes you are right, I use barrels and a backpack. I don’t have a storage tank and haven’t really got the room for one. Trying to explore the best option for my needs.

I tinkered with the idea of using just a DI / double DI as long as it worked out cheaper than going to spotless. Plus when you take into account the travelling time etc that’s more time you could spend working instead. What I didn’t want is any resin going bad if I didn’t need it for a few days at a time.
Filling 25 liter containers with an r/o and no storage isn't the way to go. If you go the r/o route then you need a place to store that water.

If you use Gardiner's resin calculator you will see that filtering water with di will cost you around £46 a month with resin costing £90 a bag. If you have a 7 liter di vessel you will need to replace that resin every 2.5 weeks.

It could be a little less doing double di.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

Thanks very much @spruce. Looks like double DI might be most suitable for me. Do you know if the resin in them will go off if they aren’t used for a few days? Many thanks.

Back