Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No flow out of Shurflo pump

smithy78

When I turn my pole tap off, the pump is not going to DE and just keeps running until eventually P5 comes up. 

Pump works fine when I bypass the controller but obviously it means I would have to work with pump on full belt and I only normally have it set at 40 flow. 

Am I likely to need a new controller or does anyone know if I can fix this problem. I've tried calibration but no joy. Thanks 

Hi I have had this I think it's PS pressure switch. It does clear eventually it could be air in the system. I resolved it by running at 99 for a few mins and then turning it back down to your normal flow. Worth a try

When I turn my pole tap off, the pump is not going to DE and just keeps running until eventually P5 comes up. 

Pump works fine when I bypass the controller but obviously it means I would have to work with pump on full belt and I only normally have it set at 40 flow. 

Am I likely to need a new controller or does anyone know if I can fix this problem. I've tried calibration but no joy. Thanks 
Try reducing the calibration manually. What is you current calibration setting?

Try reducing the calibration manually. What is you current calibration setting?
I've just tried the auto calibration and it's coming up as cal 2 so something wrong somewhere. Whenever I try to calibrate between 30 and 40 the pump doesn't shut off until PS activates. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Good morning Smithy. a Calibration value of 2 is very unusual and suggests that the pump motor is not under load ( Moving water) this may be caused by air in the system somewhere The pump motor would not need to work as hard to move just air. so the current draw would be lower and this would result in a low auto cal value. Another possibility is that something has damaged the pump head valves ( for example DI resin beads in the pump head) I suggest checking

1. There is no air in the system, miss aligned/leaking hose connectors.

2. Hard reset the controller. To do this. Power off the controller then remove the inline fuse and leave it out for 5 minutes. Replace the fuse and power up the controller. Then connect your hose and pole and run auto cal.

Can I ask

1 How old is the pump and controller

2. Has anything been changed on the system recently

From your description the pump runs when connected to the battery with strong flow and the pump pressure switch is working as this is stopping the pump/ Hard resetting the controller as above will help us see if the controller has an issue.

Cheers

Good morning Smithy. a Calibration value of 2 is very unusual and suggests that the pump motor is not under load ( Moving water) this may be caused by air in the system somewhere The pump motor would not need to work as hard to move just air. so the current draw would be lower and this would result in a low auto cal value. Another possibility is that something has damaged the pump head valves ( for example DI resin beads in the pump head) I suggest checking

2. Hard reset the controller. To do this. Power off the controller then remove the inline fuse and leave it out for 5 minutes. Replace the fuse and power up the controller. Then connect your hose and pole and run auto cal.

Can I ask

From your description the pump runs when connected to the battery with strong flow and the pump pressure switch is working as this is stopping the pump/ Hard resetting the controller as above will help us see if the controller has an issue.

Cheers
I told you @smithy78 that Ian is the expert. He is one of those who has forgotten what I still have to learn and quiet possibly never will. ?

I told you @smithy78 that Ian is the expert. He is one of those who has forgotten what I still have to learn and quiet possibly never will. ?
Thank you Spruce. But in honesty I am lucky to have a team of engineers behind me and via the forums have learned and will continue to learn a great deal including from your good self.

Really need some help here. 

Recently just installed a new tank in the van so switched over the shurflo pump from the previous van after it sitting there a few months. I’ve bought a new liquid logic pump controller which I have installed in another van and works fine. 

My set up- Tank to in-line hose valve to pump pre filter to pump to hose reel.... all using half inch reinforced hose. 

I connected it all up today and can’t seem to get the damn thing working. I followed the controller instructions and it just wouldn’t calibrate. We had a decent flow coming out of the pole head at one stage for about 10 seconds and hen it just dropped off. I disconnected the hose from the reel and sucked through some water to try and re prime, each time I sucked the water through it pumped for a few seconds and then just dropped off again! Pre filter is clean, everything has the power it needs, you can hear the pump working..... what the hell is going on guys? 

I have the pump mounted the right way about 4 inches above the tanks outlet which really shouldn’t be a problem! 

Any suggestions? 

I’ve tried increasing the pressure but it’s not making much a difference at all!? It just doesn’t seem to be pulling water? Why isn’t it remaining primed..... once I suck the water through it should remain primed right? 

I’ve tried increasing the pressure but it’s not making much a difference at all!? It just doesn’t seem to be pulling water? Why isn’t it remaining primed..... once I suck the water through it should remain primed right? 
Technically yes but if your calibration is to low then not nessaserily  @Ian Sheppard Might be able tk offer some help he’s a good and very helpful guy along with @spruce

If the pump is not staying primed then there is air in the system, The system needs to be run to draw all the air through this can take some time. Also check that the issue is not the inline valve before you pump pre filter. Also check that the tank breather hole is not blocked as this could also have an impact. If there air in the system this means the pump is not working as it should because it is moving air rather than water.

I also note you have 1/2 inch hose form the tank to the pump. Had  chap in the US last week with the exact same issue of air between the tank and pump he changed the hose for 1/2 inch to 3/4 and that solved the priming problem. Although 4 inches above the outlet does not seem like much it does mean the pump is having to pull water uphill and the 1/2 inch may be restricting water flow, a larger ID hose here could help

Air in the system will likely mean that the calibration value will be low. I would suggest manually calibrating the controller to around 40 then run the pump until all the air is pulled through and your getting a consistent stream of water. Then set flow rate to your preferred setting and run auto Calibration.

If the pump is not staying primed then there is air in the system, The system needs to be run to draw all the air through this can take some time. Also check that the issue is not the inline valve before you pump pre filter. Also check that the tank breather hole is not blocked as this could also have an impact.
Thanks buddy. I let her run for quite a while whilst constantly sucking through the water. Literally takes two seconds to get the water through and then I see if it continues to flow but tends to stop after 2 or so seconds..... I did this again and again whilst the pump is running but I had the same outcome. 

Is there anyone I could maybe video call or something as it’s very difficult to explain everything. I’m doing the best I can ?

Thanks buddy. I let her run for quite a while whilst constantly sucking through the water. Literally takes two seconds to get the water through and then I see if it continues to flow but tends to stop after 2 or so seconds..... I did this again and again whilst the pump is running but I had the same outcome. 

Is there anyone I could maybe video call or something as it’s very difficult to explain everything. I’m doing the best I can ?
Hi Hoop I have added some information which will hopefully help, It may be that switching teh 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch between teh tank and pump wil give a greater volume of water feed to the pump and prevent air locks 

Hi Hoop I have added some information which will hopefully help, It may be that switching teh 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch between teh tank and pump wil give a greater volume of water feed to the pump and prevent air locks 
I’m hoping not to have to change all the plumbing at the moment as it’s tough getting your hands on plumbing parts with all the shops closed where we are. Hopefully if I keep plugging away at it then I may find some luck somewhere. 

Thanks for for the tips guys. 

Keep sucking after you get some through, it may not be getting the whole airlock through yet....

Then once you do run at 99 until the water is going through without sputtering

Can I ask

Cheers
Thanks mate, I think their may have been air in the system as noticed some spluttering in the jets when I started it this morning. I've got the air out now and I'll see what it's like tomorrow but it seems to be working better now. 

If I understand correctly, all the components were working before the refit, so they probably still are. I wonder if it might be worth dismantling and remaking all the joints on the suction side and then bleeding it through well? I've had success doing that a couple of times in the past after a refit or alteration. I pre-heated every hose end immediately prior, to soften it. It helps the fittings to bite in well. If any hose clips are used I'd aim to double up on them.

It's just an idea. Nearly all my flow problems have been caused by air getting into the suction side.

Please take a photo of your installed pump showing the hose to the pump and the pumps filter @Hoops

Thanks

We have always run 1/2" hose from the tank outlet to both pumps. The hose is still big enough to supply enough water for 2 pumps running flat out.

I have run this same pump configuration in 3 vans for the past nearly 14 years.

Various 072a.jpg

Latest Posts

Back