Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water fill up slow

DJT

Hi all, I have been doing a few driveways lately and running the pw off a wheelie bin setup. I'm finding though that some tap pressures are rubbish and I'm loosing time waiting for water to fill the bin up. I was wondering if there was a way around this? 

I've got 500 litres in the van for window cleaning, on the days I'm doing pw, could I fill this up with just tap water and do a fast fill from there to the bin?

Or could I get an extended suction hose and run direct from van while bin is filling up? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all, I have been doing a few driveways lately and running the pw off a wheelie bin setup. I'm finding though that some tap pressures are rubbish and I'm loosing time waiting for water to fill the bin up. I was wondering if there was a way around this? 

I've got 500 litres in the van for window cleaning, on the days I'm doing pw, could I fill this up with just tap water and do a fast fill from there to the bin?

Or could I get an extended suction hose and run direct from van while bin is filling up? 

Any advice would be appreciated.
First thing I do when I get to the job is put the wheels bin on to fill it’s 240 ltr , buy the time I have set everything up and ready to start it’s full evan on low pressure supply it’s unusual to run out , di a bit then stop move a few things out of the way do a bit more don’t generally have any problems unless you are doing a supermarket size car park .

What size wheelie do you have DJT? 120/140/240/360 L? Obviously the bigger the better - as Pjj says first thing to do on set up start filling - if it's big enough you have more in reserve to start with...and don't need to turn the tap off 'cos it's overflowing etc - for big jobs with the pw going constantly if can be a pain - with low pressure from custy.

On occasion custy has two outside taps and I took a feed from both - it really worked I thought it would just be 50% on each but defo more flow.

I've also asked a neighbour to run from theirs as well

What size diameter hose you using - bigger the bore the better make sure you unreel it all so no kinks

Don't fit a float valve (think ballcock) like I did thinking it would manage overflow - just reduced the flowrate too much -even though a high flow valve - that was annoying as I thought it was a neat idea

Ask your custy to not use dishwasher or washing machine/run bath etc for the duration of works (at quote stage and remind on day) 

Use a pressure gauge on quote visit to check pressure so at least you'll know you might have an issue and start thinking if you can use any of the above

All else fails - have a few more tea breaks ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a high flow rate float valve it won’t restrict the flow we use them all the time it’s straight through no back pressure at all Ben Marriot seals them they are very good . 

Nice one Pjj - I fitted  a domestic 'high flow' float but abandoned the idea as it was a bottle neck - didn't explore a pro equivalent ? cheers 

Latest Posts

Back