Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rubber Van flooring??

Potta81

Afternoon all,

well I now have a van for my change over to wfp. It came with no ply on the floor & it’s in good condition. I’m going to protectakote the floor soon.

my question is this.... have any of u put the customised rubber van flooring down before the tank is bolted to the floor (through the rubber & van flooring)

or is this just a futile exercise, I was just thinking the less spillages that come in contact with the van floor the better & also keeping protectakote from getting chipped etc 

Afternoon all,

well I now have a van for my change over to wfp. It came with no ply on the floor & it’s in good condition. I’m going to protectakote the floor soon.

my question is this.... have any of u put the customised rubber van flooring down before the tank is bolted to the floor (through the rubber & van flooring)

or is this just a futile exercise, I was just thinking the less spillages that come in contact with the van floor the better & also keeping protectakote from getting chipped etc 
I haven't as my van is ex fleet and the floor was already custom fitted with some sort of waterproof treated ply which is holding up very well. I'd certainly be looking into rubberised flooring if I was starting with a different van. I wonder if you could seal any bolt holes to prevent water from getting under the rubber? I also wonder if it might be worth putting a coat of waxoil or something else between the two floorings if you're always going to have a rubber floor covering?

I imagine you'll get a lot of good answers as there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum re this subject. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't as my van is ex fleet and the floor was already custom fitted with some sort of waterproof treated ply which is holding up very well. I'd certainly be looking into rubberised flooring if I was starting with a different van. I wonder if you could seal any bolt holes to prevent water from getting under the rubber? I also wonder if it might be worth putting a coat of waxoil or something else between the two floorings if you're always going to have a rubber floor covering?

I imagine you'll get a lot of good answers as there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum re this subject. ?
Cheers mate, any help or tips always appreciated ??

I have one of my vans going into Varitech for  this rubber flooring to be done but due to lockdown they cannot do it at the moment most frustrating, but there you go ,it has a 20 year guarantee, so should in theory  out last the van all my other vans have speed liner but thought I would try this out to see what it’s like ,it’s also a bit cheaper not that’s why I have gone for it .

I have one of my vans going into Varitech for  this rubber flooring to be done but due to lockdown they cannot do it at the moment most frustrating, but there you go ,it has a 20 year guarantee, so should in theory  out last the van all my other vans have speed liner but thought I would try this out to see what it’s like ,it’s also a bit cheaper not that’s why I have gone for it .
I actually meant a cheaper version than what you’re getting done lol. My fault, I should have been clearer. I’ll put the link on to what I’m talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173760911212
so one of these on top of a protectakoted floor basically. Do u think it’s worth doing? 
cheers

I actually meant a cheaper version than what you’re getting done lol. My fault, I should have been clearer. I’ll put the link on to what I’m talking about.

so one of these on top of a protectakoted floor basically. Do u think it’s worth doing? 
cheers
I've no experience of them, though they look quite good and it's handy that they're already made to measure.

Just a thought, if you are going down the route of a rubberised floor covering, is there a need for the expense and effort of Protectakote? Would it be a lot cheaper and easier to give the metal floor of something semi-setting like Wax oil? As it will never be directly walked on.

I've no experience of them, though they look quite good and it's handy that they're already made to measure.

Just a thought, if you are going down the route of a rubberised floor covering, is there a need for the expense and effort of Protectakote? Would it be a lot cheaper and easier to give the metal floor of something semi-setting like Wax oil? As it will never be directly walked on.
Yea I know what your saying. I just thought if it’s done plus the rubber flooring on top it hopefully won’t need painting again as I’ve read people saying they’re painting it again within 12 months as it chips etc. I’ll be getting an electric reel also so no lumping the reel about damaging the floor.

cheers
Ah ok , yes you will find it will help stop stuff rolling around , and less noise , if you get any spillages just take it out and let it dry out 

Ah ok , yes you will find it will help stop stuff rolling around , and less noise , if you get any spillages just take it out and let it dry out 
Yea never thought about the noise aspect. Cheers bud, roof racks literally just been ordered, vans being signed up next week. Baby steps atm lol ??

Yea I know what your saying. I just thought if it’s done plus the rubber flooring on top it hopefully won’t need painting again as I’ve read people saying they’re painting it again within 12 months as it chips etc. I’ll be getting an electric reel also so no lumping the reel about damaging the floor.
I've never used Protectakote but I'd imagine the reason it chips and needs repainting is because it sets hard. Also I expect that often it's the top floor covering, so gets direct wear and hardship from walking and equipment.

I've never used Protectakote but I'd imagine the reason it chips and needs repainting is because it sets hard. Also I expect that often it's the top floor covering, so gets direct wear and hardship from walking and equipment.
This is true. To me it just seems the current ProtectaKote isn't as tough wearing as the Protectakote I first used 12 years ago.

I was in 2 minds with this van to use either ProtectaKote or Raptor Truck Bed lining. In the end I went with what I knew. Looking back I should have tried Raptor.

This is true. To me it just seems the current ProtectaKote isn't as tough wearing as the Protectakote I first used 12 years ago.

I was in 2 minds with this van to use either ProtectaKote or Raptor Truck Bed lining. In the end I went with what I knew. Looking back I should have tried Raptor.
I’ve seen there’s a UVR protectakote as well which is supposed to be stronger. I just wanted to protect the floor the easiest way tbh lol.

I used the ordinary stuff both times.
I’ve been ringing round for quotes to apply the raptor.(most don’t even seem to know what it is). I know I could roll it on myself But I’d like it done properly if not to expensive & I’ve had a quote £30 an hour & thinks it’ll take 3/4 hours with the prep work but I’ll be supplying the raptor which I can get the 4l kit for £60. So all in around £180 at most. Would u say this is a decent deal?

I’ve been ringing round for quotes to apply the raptor.(most don’t even seem to know what it is). I know I could roll it on myself But I’d like it done properly if not to expensive & I’ve had a quote £30 an hour & thinks it’ll take 3/4 hours with the prep work but I’ll be supplying the raptor which I can get the 4l kit for £60. So all in around £180 at most. Would u say this is a decent deal?
The prep work on my Citroen Relay SWB and Peugeot Boxer SWB took around 3 hours. Its best to remove the ply sides, mask about 50mm up the sides and lightly sand down the floor (remove the sheen to give the 'paint' a surface to adhere to.) The ply goes back when the floor is cured. I cut a little off the ply at the bottom if the ply sits on the floor.

ProtectaKote when on in 2 coats with further touch ups required. I found a brush worked better than a roller. I can't remember the drying times but I think I did one coat the first day and the second coat the next morning. So all in all about a day and a half's work. It needs time to cure before walking on it.

I don't know what the procedure is with Raptor.

I read that a fitter suggested he drill and fit the tank as part of the prep work. Its more difficult to know where to drill holes after the coating has been applied. The coating is applied with nothing in the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s cheap I had my van professionally dine with speedliner and that cost £700 but it’s awsom stuff now 6:5 yers old and looks as good as the day it was done very hard wearing 

Back