SLX 18 & Exeed TUBLESS

Diamond geezer

Diamond geezer

Hi, Ithink I saw a while back,that one off you guys fitted a mod that seemed like,the 4" tube you have to fit at the top of no 1 section ensuring the male conector sits within the pole was,cut in half lenth ways so that it could be taken on  or off, aliowing the pole to be fully collapsed,if your in a tight space.could you shed some more light for me please thanks

1 hour ago, Diamond geezer said:

Hi, Ithink I saw a while back,that one off you guys fitted a mod that seemed like,the 4" tube you have to fit at the top of no 1 section ensuring the male conector sits within the pole was,cut in half lenth ways so that it could be taken on  or off, aliowing the pole to be fully collapsed,if your in a tight space.could you shed some more light for me please thanks

Yes on the six 18 you need about 3 inches of the top section left out of the no 2 section of the pole so the fitting stays in the pole and doesn’t come out the handle end ,I have converted  all my poles , best thing I ever did , somuch quicker and easier no more pole hose in the van getting tangled up 

Diamond geezer
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

Yes on the six 18 you need about 3 inches of the top section left out of the no 2 section of the pole so the fitting stays

the problem is in my head,iam wanting to buy the18 over the 22 for lightness sake there both the same lenth,i could shorten the first section of the 22 and avoid the tube insert,but causious on doing this to an18 because it is only 18, on the other hand extending an 18 with the insert isn't,i feel, very desirable because it increases the lenth of one of the shortest poles on the market.I suppose I could leave out the extention 4"section and have the rectus sticking out the bottom when in a tight space.Part of this has come about because for 2 yrs ive been using a 30ft carbion  streamline as my every day pole and a flopy 18 fibre glass to give my shoulders a break every now and then.if as I mentioned before there was a detachable insert could I wonder get away with just sliping this off(when in a tight space) with out the bottom coming out compromising the pole? Cheers

2 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

the problem is in my head,iam wanting to buy the18 over the 22 for lightness sake there both the same lenth,i could shorten the first section of the 22 and avoid the tube insert,but causious on doing this to an18 because it is only 18, on the other hand extending an 18 with the insert isn't,i feel, very desirable because it increases the lenth of one of the shortest poles on the market.I suppose I could leave out the extention 4"section and have the rectus sticking out the bottom when in a tight space.Part of this has come about because for 2 yrs ive been using a 30ft carbion  streamline as my every day pole and a flopy 18 fibre glass to give my shoulders a break every now and then.if as I mentioned before there was a detachable insert could I wonder get away with just sliping this off(when in a tight space) with out the bottom coming out compromising the pole? Cheers

You don’t cut the pole down you just don’t close the top section all the way about 3 inches is left sticking out rather than totaly closed 

scottish cleaning service
21 minutes ago, Pjj said:

You don’t cut the pole down you just don’t close the top section all the way about 3 inches is left sticking out rather than totaly closed 

When I bought the exceed hoseless kit I got a 3 inch spacer to fit in at the top.

• Agree 2

Is this what you mean?

spacer_01.thumb.jpg.ab9b9b305143c5b10ca688397df02c4f.jpgspacer_02.thumb.jpg.8a2c0a54feafc548ec40d03bd22506c2.jpg

This works well if you use JG connectors instead of Rectus/Ezsnap fittings as well.

They are made from plastic plumbing pipe

Edited by Marko067
2 minutes ago, Marko067 said:

Is this what you mean?

spacer_01.thumb.jpg.ab9b9b305143c5b10ca688397df02c4f.jpgspacer_02.thumb.jpg.8a2c0a54feafc548ec40d03bd22506c2.jpg

This works well if you use JG connectors instead of Rectus/Ezsnap fittings as well

Same principal with the exceed spacer 

8 hours ago, Marko067 said:

Is this what you mean?

This works well if you use JG connectors instead of Rectus/Ezsnap fittings as well.

Aye, you just strip the pole down and slide it up then wrap some black insulation tape to keep it there.

Can anyone remember that varnish stuff you can spray on carbon poles to make them slide and wear better, need to do spacer now. cheers

10 hours ago, Pjj said:

Same principal with the exceed spacer 

Yeah, if memory serves I think I cut my Exceed spacer like this when I switched to using JGs because you have to remove it whilst connecting your hose, unlike the exceed kit. I don’t use the spacer now though as I’ve got used to working without it

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
Diamond geezer
9 hours ago, Marko067 said:

Is this what you mean?

Yes that's the one I was looking for,much appreciated thanks very much

4 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Can anyone remember that varnish stuff you can spray on carbon poles to make them slide and wear better, need to do spacer now. cheers

I think it's engine lacquer, Scottish. I'm sure someone else will advise. 🙂

• Like 2

Seem to remember making one from a short piece of 13mm ID garden hose as well by making a single cut down it’s length with a Stanley knife and warming it with hot water

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
Diamond geezer
7 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

PTFE  dry lubricant spray Not WD40 Gardiners sell it

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

PTFE  dry lubricant spray Not WD40 Gardiners sell it

Worth buying from a reputable supplier like Alex, not all PTFE sprays are equal.

• Like 2
Diamond geezer
Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2020 at 07:54, scottish cleaning service said:

an anyone remember that varnish stuff you can spray on carbon poles to make them slide and wear better, need to do spacer now. cheers

Theres a video on utube on of the guys strips down his pole thoroughly cleans it and sprays a coat or three of lacquer,to build back up the thickness of the poles so the clamps grip again.Repeating the prosess when the poles wear down again. you can buy this spray lacquer at any car/motor factors/shop.May be you mean this instead.

Edited by Diamond geezer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

Theres a video on utube on of the guys strips down his pole thoroughly cleans it and sprays a coat or three of lacquer,to build back up the thickness of the poles so the clamps grip again.Repeating the prosess when the poles wear down again. you can buy this spray lacquer at any car/motor factors/shop.May be you mean this instead.

I bought a can of UPol clear 1 for about £12 so I will do it on my SLX over the weekend and let you know how I get on with it.

• Like 2
Baldmonkey

I'm kinda confused by this post, why all the shims in the pole sections? Are they for a reason? 

19 minutes ago, Baldmonkey said:

I'm kinda confused by this post, why all the shims in the pole sections? Are they for a reason? 

Shims are in the clamps.