Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is your price range for houses?

dyson123

Went to quote an enormous house today and it got me thinking what everyone’s range in price is for single homes?

My lowest currently is £12 for a small 2 bed semi and I’m thinking this big house should £120 every 8 weeks. 

I believe it’s £120 worth of work but I always find with the bigger properties they seem to think they shouldn’t be paying anything like that and we should be grateful for cleaning for them ?

Went to quote an enormous house today and it got me thinking what everyone’s range in price is for single homes?

My lowest currently is £12 for a small 2 bed semi and I’m thinking this big house should £120 every 8 weeks. 

I believe it’s £120 worth of work but I always find with the bigger properties they seem to think they shouldn’t be paying anything like that and we should be grateful for cleaning for them ?
Lowest is £10 highest £250 

Yep I had a run in with a new customer, large house, each window has six panes at least, I wanted to say £100, but last time done by wfp was charged at £80 by someone else that did not go back.

2nd time i cleaned it, woman really not happy with price n how long job took. I felt a bit bad as well, my wife working with me, took about 40mins. Told her the house is not priced by time,but by how many windows there are. I ended up giving her £20 back, my wife was not happy n said she wasn't going back. 

Never really had a run in with a customer like that, I do a range of customers £4~£230. 

Yep I had a run in with a new customer, large house, each window has six panes at least, I wanted to say £100, but last time done by wfp was charged at £80 by someone else that did not go back.

2nd time i cleaned it, woman really not happy with price n how long job took. I felt a bit bad as well, my wife working with me, took about 40mins. Told her the house is not priced by time,but by how many windows there are. I ended up giving her £20 back, my wife was not happy n said she wasn't going back. 

Never really had a run in with a customer like that, I do a range of customers £4~£230. 
Some in a house like that doesn't need the £20 back! And there were two of you. So probably 2 hours work when you consider travel time and setup. If she didn't like it tell her to go elsewhere. I know it can be difficult but don't undervalue yourself like that. You could always offer to help her set up her own window cleaning company if she's not happy! ?

Will you be going back?

It's how long is a piece of string question location location location it will vary massively, I have a minimum price of £7.00 for everything even it's just 3 windows and a door, I do a big house for £50 which takes me an hour sometimes just over which is in a little village with a status and house prices are quite a bit higher than some less than half a mile up the road some can go for well over 100k more for an identical house up the road. 

In my apprentice joiner days I went to work in large posh houses. Nearly all of the wives didn't work and looked after the house and family. These folk were the worst to work for because they were bored out of their mind and used to watch everything you did and even followed you about as they had nothing to do all day. One woman caught my journeyman having a roll up in her garage and she wasn't happy. I tend to keep away from these folk but with most women now working it tends to be a thing of the past.

We have a minimum charge of £20.

I agree about the bigger houses sometimes.

I went out to quote a big house a couple of weeks ago... The owner is an eccentric old lady - you can tell she's loaded... I quoted £125 x12 weekly. She said "I don't want to pay £125 to have my windows cleaned, but I'll think about it and let you know".

She called me back the next day and left a message saying she didn't want to go ahead because it was too expensive. I didn't return her call... Two days later she called back to accept £125 ?

One of my guys is out cleaning it this morning.

I've got a feeling she might not be a long term customer as she'll probably jump ship as soon as someone cheaper comes along.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive had this. Often a house that would take 3 times as long, but they balk at 3 x the price. Cant beat the lego houses usually, whip through em ( unless pita connys)

Ive had this. Often a house that would take 3 times as long, but they balk at 3 x the price. Cant beat the lego houses usually, whip through em ( unless pita connys)
Aye, and the owners are usually working so you don't get the time and motion woman following you around. That's when the hose dislodges their precious stone ornament and breaks. You end up spending next year working there for free just to pay for it. ?

Aye, and the owners are usually working so you don't get the time and motion woman following you around. That's when the hose dislodges their precious stone ornament and breaks. You end up spending next year working there for free just to pay for it. ?
One time I was tradding this old cottage, about 3 wasp nests dotted around the roof. Wonder if we could claim for wasp stings ? ?

One time I was tradding this old cottage, about 3 wasp nests dotted around the roof. Wonder if we could claim for wasp stings ? ?
My mate came up with what he thought was a good idea. The wasps were coming out of where he was working as they had made a one-way system. He was up the ladder next to the eaves and decided to plug the hole with an old cloth he had. 20mins later the woman ran out of the house screaming shouting that her house was full of wasps. He finished the job and removed the cloth and everything went back to normal and no one was hurt in the process but the woman took to drink and stocked up with vinegar in future. ???

Some in a house like that doesn't need the £20 back! And there were two of you. So probably 2 hours work when you consider travel time and setup. If she didn't like it tell her to go elsewhere. I know it can be difficult but don't undervalue yourself like that. You could always offer to help her set up her own window cleaning company if she's not happy! ?

Will you be going back?
I'm a muppet, so probably would go back if I bumped into her, but not going out my way to go back. 

I have some £8 1bedroom down stairs flats (4 Of them together so im happy with £8) and the biggest I have is £65.00. I used to have a £75 but they stopped.

I heard of someone who had a £200 home. Sort of country manor mansion.
But The bigger the property the less the hourly rate imo. 3 bed semi for £17.00, I can do 3 in an hour if they’re within a hose reel (100m) of each other. 

Every house I have ever had over a couple of hundred per clean has been a pain in the @rse.

They all have electric gates so pre booking is essential and most only give you a land line or house keeper to deal with

I do one like this which I have had for a wile and  it's agro if my focus was on domestic's I would have binned it.They spend 90% of their time out the uk and the house keeper is useless so the frequency can be well spread out meaning it's like a first clean.

Every house I have ever had over a couple of hundred per clean has been a pain in the @rse.

They all have electric gates so pre booking is essential and most only give you a land line or house keeper to deal with

I do one like this which I have had for a wile and  it's agro if my focus was on domestic's I would have binned it.They spend 90% of their time out the uk and the house keeper is useless so the frequency can be well spread out meaning it's like a first clean.
I priced a house like that and they were obviously millionaires, I just put in a ridiculously high price and never got it. I call it a win win situation. ?

We generally get a gate coad it’s uneek to us so they know what time we arrive and when we leave , or others have a call button with video link to housekeeper or security guard and they let us in , never had an issue with access , it’s something I always discuss when quoting , if it looks like it’s going to be trouble I won’t quote .

Hey  im just in the process of starting up my business, just wondering about prices for an average 2 story House with say 6 windows and  2 doors,  would £1 per small window/door and £2 per bigger window be too expensive? That's including the full door and all the window frames too

Hey  im just in the process of starting up my business, just wondering about prices for an average 2 story House with say 6 windows and  2 doors,  would £1 per small window/door and £2 per bigger window be too expensive? That's including the full door and all the window frames too
Depends on where you live, but even in competitive areas you should be aiming for a minimum of £10 a house. I believe most areas average between £12 & £15 for a standard 3 bed semi.

£6 for bungalows and up from there, small terrace £8. Three bed semi 10-12 quid. All depends on size, layout and access. I prefer more smaller homes, can bang them out in minutes time and again  

If it's straight forward easy access, generally I'd aim for a maximum of 7 minutes work, probably about £14. If it had a conservatory at least £15-£17, as would likely take 2-5 minutes longer.

Don't start too cheap. Aim for about 80% acceptance rate. There is a price balance which will depend to some extent on the area. The correct prices should become apparent fairly quickly with the acceptance rate and your perception of the customer's happiness or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back