Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sorting out work for next week

Pjj

Premium Member
Just been sorting out the work that’s due next week , due to covid 19 we are down by 

2x dentists 

1 hotel

1 spa

3 apartment blocks 

3x accountants offices 

2 x estate  agents 

1 fish and chip shop 

1 beauty salon 

1 Nfu mutual insurance office 

1x financial  advisers office 

Total loss of income £1795 .

Good news is I have plenty of houses to keep me going and then an early finish ???

I've got off pretty lightly really just a couple of hundred quid down on the month as I'm majority domestic.  The customers have been great , but with them seeing me regularly while I'm working on their houses while they're home,  I'm wondering if familiarity will start breeding contempt and they'll want to stretch their cleaning frequencies, especially as I still do loads fortnightly.

I like things as they are and hope they stay the same.

I've got off pretty lightly really just a couple of hundred quid down on the month as I'm majority domestic.  The customers have been great , but with them seeing me regularly while I'm working on their houses while they're home,  I'm wondering if familiarity will start breeding contempt and they'll want to stretch their cleaning frequencies, especially as I still do loads fortnightly.

I like things as they are and hope they stay the same.
That must be great to have lots fortnightly. Round here its unheard of, except perhaps for some shops. more 6 weekly and 2 monthly even rather than monthly. And even the monthlys leave a little longer. I wonder though, I think it could be down to if they are like a terrace onto the street, they do get splashed off the road and dirty quicker, whereas on estates maybe not so much.

Ironically after deciding to go back due to another windy trying to poach my work (sly c*nt), and with the help of the EDP interview i did, in the last 36hrs ive picked up 8 new residentials, and today the local chippy reopened and i went to grab some grub and have picked them up their house for a full Conny, all gutters fascias and soffet clean and windows

I'm still down quite a bit all retail, resturaunts, pubs etc are a no go and will be for some time.A couple of offices are on hold but even I am surprised at how many gave me the go ahead.Even jobs that aren't open and have insides done  said 'carry on with external only cleans'.

@Pjj I'm surprised the apartment blocks have said No.Nearly all mine are back some saying 'They wanted them cleaning or they would have to look at giving tenants rebates for non services'

I do quite a few retirement sites/blocks some are very strict on health and safety and they did ask to stop but even they have come back this week.One has even had a confirmed case of corona.They did state it was entirely optional if I wanted to return.They have all stated that no buildings are to be entered and to remain at least 3m part from residents.

Most sites have been very, very quite even apartments for management companies seem quiter as residents are asked not to use communal space as much or at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm down a few but not that many as most my commercial is Care Homes that want me to continue. Why are the apartment blocks a no go? I'm doing a new job in London in 3 weeks, 13 blocks of flats, and I've been given the go ahead this week.
The apartment blocks are owned by the hotel so not open ,all our sheltered accommodation and nursing/carehomes are still being done  

The apartment blocks are owned by the hotel so not open ,all our sheltered accommodation and nursing/carehomes are still being done  
I wont name the Hotel but I use it regularly when I'm working in Cambridge. I'm due down there in June so started to look to rent an apartment for the 3 nights we're down there. Scrolling through pages of horrible very expensive apartments I came across the hotel I use that was available to book so I rang them. I asked if they were open and they said only for key workers so I just said ok. The next words they said shows just how dodgy some of the rules are being applied, "we can put you down as a key worker if you want to stay"

I'm still down quite a bit all retail, resturaunts, pubs etc are a no go and will be for some time.A couple of offices are on hold but even I am surprised at how many gave me the go ahead.Even jobs that aren't open and have insides done  said 'carry on with external only cleans'.

@Pjj I'm surprised the apartment blocks have said No.Nearly all mine are back some saying 'They wanted them cleaning or they would have to look at giving tenants rebates for non services'

I do quite a few retirement sites/blocks some are very strict on health and safety and they did ask to stop but even they have come back this week.One has even had a confirmed case of corona.They did state it was entirely optional if I wanted to return.They have all stated that no buildings are to be entered and to remain at least 3m part from residents.

Most sites have been very, very quite even apartments for management companies seem quiter as residents are asked not to use communal space as much or at all.
The apartment blocks are owned by the hotel as holiday accommodation so it’s shut ?? we do a lot of work for Anchor/Hanover and we are still doing all that but outside only no internals , if they cancelled it would be a massive hit , all the stuff on hold have said they want us back when they reopen the hotel has no plans to re open this year at the moment !,,, 

we do a lot of work for Anchor/Hanover and we are still doing all that but outside only no internals , if they cancelled it would be a massive hit
I can't see them cancelling my wife works in a Hanover home which is sheltered housing the money is still rolling in for them so they can continue with maintenance, relatives that have always done shopping for their parents are allowed to drop groceries off outside, so something like window cleaning shouldn't be an issue. 

I am now doing a 4 day week but getting through less work, I am taking a hit in the wallet but a 4 day week is enough for me right now as I am suffering with mild stress and have an almost constant headache, to much thinking time working on my own. 

Ye the commercial sector will be hit hard same as the last recession were all the domestic windies I knew hardly got affected although I would expect some downturn. Most of mine have been suspensions till this blows over rather than outright cancels. Commercial stuff is good when the goings good but thingd can turn very quickly. 

I've had only just a couple of domestic customers  request to pause visits - that's nothing compared to all the new work I've picked up/mixture of neighbours seeing what I'm up to and requesting similar service/existing customer opting for add ons - s+f+g /gutter/ patios /conny and then new enquires/work. I'm looking at a 40% increase in revenue over the period - has helped as I've had a several weeklong massive multiple jobs all scheduled in before the world changed.

Businesses that are open/opening will I imagine be making sure they present the right impression - having gleaming windows/façade does that - if you haven't already, suggest contacting them and offering to do an external deep clean  - using weak hypo (if you know what you're doing) etc 

Latest Posts

Back