Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Boiler breakdown

Pjj

Premium Member
Well this morning turned on the boiler and got clouds of white smoke and no fire up ???? typical , but ime guessing after 6.5 years it’s probably done 14000 hours run time , it’s going into a friend later today who services them and fits  them on boats to plug in into the laptop and see what it’s saying , it’s inconvenient with the break down but goes to show how reliable theses things are never been serviced or touched since it was fitted by Grippatank, I expect it will need a new pin screen and housing . ???  

Handy you know someone who can fix it but maybe better buying a new one and get the 2 year warranty with it. They say it happens in three's so you only have another two to go. ?

Handy you know someone who can fix it but maybe better buying a new one and get the 2 year warranty with it. They say it happens in three's so you only have another two to go. ?
All depends what’s wrong with it but think it will need pin , screen, burner  so cost around £400-500 ??? Hopefully he has the stuff in stock as parts arnt available at the moment due to shut down ??? 

All depends what’s wrong with it but think it will need pin , screen, burner  so cost around £400-500 ??? Hopefully he has the stuff in stock as parts arnt available at the moment due to shut down ??? 
Its not cheap. That's how we can add a premium to a window clean. I will shortly be putting 'Pure Hotwater' on the side of my van. Did a first clean today and I think an eagle crapped all over the back window. I thought here we go, I will be here for ages but the hotwater softened it up and it was away in jig time and so was I. ?

My customers have been asking what's the difference and I relate the cleaning dishes story and goes down well. ?
I tend not to find any gravy or mushy peas on my windows prior to cleaning them. All my customers are concerned about is how clean do I leave their windows and every single one of them is perfectly happy with the cold water I use.

Let me know which boiler you have I might have a new service kit for it. I used to have a Grippa boiler but sold the van and I still have a new unopened service kit for it. Part no. 1322584A Purchased from Butler Technik. Let me know if it's any use to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know which boiler you have I might have a new service kit for it. I used to have a Grippa boiler but sold the van and I still have a new unopened service kit for it. Part no. 1322584A Purchased from Butler Technik. Let me know if it's any use to you.
Ok thanks for  that I think it’s a thermo top c ?? I will let you know what the guy says he’s taking it to bits tomorrow. 

Been working today with cold water and Ime 10 houses down on what I would have normally done so much slower with cold , bird much had to get a scraper out on loads of jobs not done that in over 6 years !,,, absolute nightmare , ones who say there is no difference using hot haven’t got a clue what they are talking about , hopefully get it up and running by early next week ????

Do you know what., I was thinking about getting a hot water system but decided against it as I thought it was just another thing to go wrong but I`m starting to think it might be worthwhile. Is it really that much quicker?

Oh and because it was so much more pricey

I had massive bird muck on a first floor window today and I thought I would have been there 10mins scrubbing it. Only took me a minute with the hot water so if you live in an area with plenty of birds then its worth it. All to their own but I love the hot water system and very glad I bought it. ?

I think I have, only speeds you up with bad bird muck or really dirty first cleans. 10 houses down? so you reckon it's twice as quick or are you doing 30 houses a day on your own.
Yes I was 10 houses down on what I would normally do  I couldn’t believe it purely down to the extra time needed using cold all the dirt was very difficult to get off where as with hot it just bites into it so much quicker and rinses faster too the dirt seemed reluctant to slide down the glass ,I also used quite a bit more water than normal , there is a fair bit of seagulls poo at the moment and that was a nightmare with cold had to use a scrapper on loads of jobs , struggled to find them in the van as not used one fir over 6 years !,,, the work I was doing is mainly 4 weekly with a few 8 weekly , but it is 4 weeks behind I admit that but my 8 weekly doesn’t take any longer with hot than the 4 weekly , I did 32 properties today normally it would be 42 not all are full houses though some are just fronts , but still 10 down on normal nothing apart from hot water was different.

Might slow you down 10 houses on the coast with windows covered in seagull jank, but I agree with @Part Timer, and don’t believe for one minute it would slow you down too much on maintenance cleans away from the coast. Up until recently I had hot water for ten years, so have experience with it. 
Good luck getting it sorted, sounds a pain ?

From our observations, in the case of our two man team, our work is definitely quicker for us with heated water.

I can't say for definite why that is. We are well inland so away from salt and seagulls. Possibly if we compared times for heated as against unheated in one house there might not even be a significant difference, possibly no difference. However we have definitely found that in recent times we've knocked at least an hour off our working day (that's two man hours) with the same amount of work done.

I think that it's a combination of our better organisation and equipment : swivel, Extreme Sill Brush, 100 degree fan jets, Univalve, and heated water. Each tweek, small or large that we've done over time, has added at least a little to our speed and efficiency and these have added up over time. The heated water does seem to shift the dirt quicker but a major finding for us is also just how much more usable, flexible and easy the hoses are to work with. This also makes our work day more pleasant.

Would I be paying thousands of pounds for a diesel set up? No. I'm very happy with the immersion. Once again though, each to their own.

Yes I was 10 houses down on what I would normally do  I couldn’t believe it purely down to the extra time needed using cold all the dirt was very difficult to get off where as with hot it just bites into it so much quicker and rinses faster too the dirt seemed reluctant to slide down the glass ,I also used quite a bit more water than normal , there is a fair bit of seagulls poo at the moment and that was a nightmare with cold had to use a scrapper on loads of jobs , struggled to find them in the van as not used one fir over 6 years !,,, the work I was doing is mainly 4 weekly with a few 8 weekly , but it is 4 weeks behind I admit that but my 8 weekly doesn’t take any longer with hot than the 4 weekly , I did 32 properties today normally it would be 42 not all are full houses though some are just fronts , but still 10 down on normal nothing apart from hot water was different.
That’s not bad. 12 mins a job for 8 hours. No breaks   12 mins a job including traveling time. Guessing they are all close together?

That’s not bad. 12 mins a job for 8 hours. No breaks   12 mins a job including traveling time. Guessing they are all close together?
Three moves of the van all day about  800 yards ?? some are just a door and two windows though 

Back