Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner xtreme pole

SuperClean.Chris

Hi All,

I am still looking at getting another pole. Really thinking of the Gardiner xtreme. Is there anyone in Surrey near Woking that has one at all?? And would let me see it to get an idea if it’s worth the money?

Thanks, Chris 

I use an Xtreme 22 coupled with an Xtreme brush which covers ninety nine percent of the windows I clean.

I'm not a young'un anymore and I personally benefit greatly from using this setup. For me it is worth the cost even if I think it is a bit over the top compared to an equivalent length SL-X. Do remember that once purchased you will likely not have to buy a complete pole again as long as it suits your needs because when a section wears out and or breaks you will only have to buy that section. How long they last depends largely on how you look after them in my experience.

I would say that you would have to work with one for a bit to decide whether it's worth it for you or not.

Though they are more rigid and feel considerably lighter in use (especially when used extended) than the same length SL-X, they definitely are not as robust.  But then they are not claimed to be.

I use extreme 18’ 25’ and 35’  my son uses slx equivalent.

even though I’m a lot younger than @Marko067 ? I’m no spring chicken and agree with Marko67 on every aspect. 

Thanks so much for the advice. I have an SLX 25, will I definitely notice the difference in weight and rigidity? Is it pretty noticeable? I’m only looking at the xtreme 18 then in the future getting extensions if need. I clean a lot of gutters so want something mega rigid and light. 

I use an Xtreme 22 coupled with an Xtreme brush which covers ninety nine percent of the windows I clean.

I'm not a young'un anymore and I personally benefit greatly from using this setup. For me it is worth the cost even if I think it is a bit over the top compared to an equivalent length SL-X. Do remember that once purchased you will likely not have to buy a complete pole again as long as it suits your needs because when a section wears out and or breaks you will only have to buy that section. How long they last depends largely on how you look after them in my experience.

I would say that you would have to work with one for a bit to decide whether it's worth it for you or not.

Though they are more rigid and feel considerably lighter in use (especially when used extended) than the same length SL-X, they definitely are not as robust.  But then they are not claimed to be.
The above is an excellent answer, very well put.

The Extremes are very expensive. I have only recently started using one, a couple of weeks before I went into lockdown. It's a delight to use but I wouldn't have moved from an SLX if it weren't for health issues which will take a bit longer to fully recover from.

if you really fancy one, or need to go really light for health or age reasons, I highly recommend it, combined with an Extreme brush. Otherwise the SLX22 would be my choice unless you have plenty of money and lots of experience.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. ?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have an SLX 25, will I definitely notice the difference in weight and rigidity? Is it pretty noticeable? I’m only looking at the xtreme 18 then in the future getting extensions if need. I clean a lot of gutters so want something mega rigid and light. 
The 18’ is extremely rigid no pun intended ? much more so than the 25’ but then again you would expect that being shorter pole.

I recently replaced  my extreme 18’ after 18 months of solid use was still useable no damage but started to get a little thin, I sprayed it with lacquer to build it back up now a perfect backup .

The way I see things is my extreme 18’ does 90% plus of the work so will wear out quicker than the rest of my poles had my extreme 25’ for approx 12 months and still like new as only get used a few times a week compared to the 18’ 

The 18’ is extremely rigid no pun intended ? much more so than the 25’ but then again you would expect that being shorter pole.

I recently replaced  my extreme 18’ after 18 months of solid use was still useable no damage but started to get a little thin, I sprayed it with lacquer to build it back up now a perfect backup .

The way I see things is my extreme 18’ does 90% plus of the work so will wear out quicker than the rest of my poles had my extreme 25’ for approx 12 months and still like new as only get used a few times a week compared to the 18’ 
I know we all have different opinions, rightly so. But I personally would choose a 22ft over an 18. The difference in price won't be a lot. The difference in weight won't be much. The closed length is the same. The usability is better for reaching over extensions and conservatories and for reaching gfs without the need for pole extensions. 

I'd be thinking that if he's considering getting an extension he has the need for the extra length. Buy once, is what I'm thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Marko067 hits the proverbial nail on the head. Extremes are great poles but the price differential compared to the SLX makes you wonder sometimes when considering the longevity of the SLX.

Have a great weekend fellow windies. Pub time.....????????????

I know we all have different opinions, rightly so. But I personally would choose a 22ft over an 18. The difference in price won't be a lot. The difference in weight won't be much. The closed length is the same. The usability is better for reaching over extensions and conservatories and for reaching gfs without the need for pole extensions. 

I'd be thinking that if he's considering getting an extension he has the need for the extra length. Buy once, is what I'm thinking.
I used to use a slx22 as my main pole but was still a little short on some jobs so I bought a slx25 so was still using two poles. I’m only 6’2”  and the slx22 was still a stretch but doable on some 3 stories and over conservatory and found the 25’ more comfortable and even safer in some situations, on the other hand my son Is a short arxse like his mother so the 25’ is more beneficial for him. 

Most of the time we only need the 18’ house after house and tbh when I change my pole to the 25’ my tubless set up benefits as the pole hose normally gets a little unwound lol.

as you mention each person as different circumstances as my son who isn’t three foot shorter than couldn’t clean stuff I can with a 22’ that I can with a stretch  he needs the 25’ 

also I guessimate than my extreme 25 will last at least 4 years probably a lot more TBH as it don’t get used much. 

Today I done a big lodge house  with dormers in the roof the 25’just aboutreached no way a 22’ would have reach. 

Thats what great about this forum each person round is not the same and even though we all gain tips, advice and knowledge it’s only ourselves that know which is best for own rounds. I’m defo one to try out anything that makes my day easier. 

Another example I clean a lots of bungelows I use a clx4  especially when there is a few on the bounce.  Just makes sense especially as the pole hose get untangled off the reel. 

@Marko067 hits the proverbial nail on the head. Extremes are great poles but the price differential compared to the SLX makes you wonder sometimes when considering the longevity of the SLX.

Have a great weekend fellow windies. Pub time.....????????????
Just about to get ready and go out, hopefully it won't be to busy tonight as I don't like queueing at Morrisons ? 

I used to use a slx22 as my main pole but was still a little short on some jobs so I bought a slx25 so was still using two poles. I’m only 6’2”  and the slx22 was still a stretch but doable on some 3 stories and over conservatory and found the 25’ more comfortable and even safer in some situations, on the other hand my son Is a short arxse like his mother so the 25’ is more beneficial for him. 

Most of the time we only need the 18’ house after house and tbh when I change my pole to the 25’ my tubless set up benefits as the pole hose normally gets a little unwound lol.

as you mention each person as different circumstances as my son who isn’t three foot shorter than couldn’t clean stuff I can with a 22’ that I can with a stretch  he needs the 25’ 

also I guessimate than my extreme 25 will last at least 4 years probably a lot more TBH as it don’t get used much. 

Today I done a big lodge house  with dormers in the roof the 25’just aboutreached no way a 22’ would have reach. 

Thats what great about this forum each person round is not the same and even though we all gain tips, advice and knowledge it’s only ourselves that know which is best for own rounds. I’m defo one to try out anything that makes my day easier. 

Another example I clean a lots of bungelows I use a clx4  especially when there is a few on the bounce.  Just makes sense especially as the pole hose get untangled off the reel. 
Yeah Den, it's a great forum for sure. It's certainly helped me a lot, especially when I was starting out. I don't think I asked questions at the time. I just lurked and read for a while. The answers were all there with a bit of reading and thinking. And so many different opinions to choose bits from.

As you said about our own rounds, 18ft is too short for about 30% of my work at a guess and 30ft is only just long enough for a handful of my jobs. I don't have any where a 25ft would suit me best. Different areas, different style houses. ?

Off subject mate. How's your campervan project going? Tough times at the moment. Mine hasn't been driven since meeting up with a couple of buddies a month ago for a last catch up before the lockdown.

Been using mine 3 1/2 yrs now. Section 3 got real thin and developed a 45cm lengthwise split about a year ago. Oddly I was able to carry on using it till the new section arrived but it was super thin. Then this year I made the mistake of pushing a little too hard on an opener and snapped the no.2 section. When I examined it, I recon it would have had quite a bit more life left in it had I not tried to close that opener. Lesson learned! 

Also, whereas the middle sections wear on the inside and out, the top and bottom most sections only wear from one side, inside or out. So I was considering lacquering section no.1 to see if I can extend its life.

What lacquer did you use Den?

I recon the bottom two sections will last many more years yet though.

Yeah Den, it's a great forum for sure. It's certainly helped me a lot, especially when I was starting out. I don't think I asked questions at the time. I just lurked and read for a while. The answers were all there with a bit of reading and thinking. And so many different opinions to choose bits from.

As you said about our own rounds, 18ft is too short for about 30% of my work at a guess and 30ft is only just long enough for a handful of my jobs. I don't have any where a 25ft would suit me best. Different areas, different style houses. ?

Off subject mate. How's your campervan project going? Tough times at the moment. Mine hasn't been driven since meeting up with a couple of buddies a month ago for a last catch up before the lockdown.
Totally agree 18’ does approx 90% plus my round, I would defo use the 22’ If in the same  boots as you ?

couple of weekends ago I reversed and forward serveral times my van a few feet on the drive haha just to make sure the brakes wasn’t seized ? run the diesel heater for half hour on warm day ? just to make sure no air locks, solar panel is keeping everything charged which is good plugged my 12v compressor fridge filled with Guinness sat outside the side door with a small table and had a Guinness or two ? after cutting the front lawn and trimming the hedges was a good day out ??

I got a Phoenix 18 for most of my work even most of my 3 story jobs and I'm the same height as you.

Must be my monkey arms lol.

Got longer poles and extensions but it does me for 99% of my work.

Totally agree 18’ does approx 90% plus my round, I would defo use the 22’ If in the same  boots as you ?

couple of weekends ago I reversed and forward serveral times my van a few feet on the drive haha just to make sure the brakes wasn’t seized ? run the diesel heater for half hour on warm day ? just to make sure no air locks, solar panel is keeping everything charged which is good plugged my 12v compressor fridge filled with Guinness sat outside the side door with a small table and had a Guinness or two ? after cutting the front lawn and trimming the hedges was a good day out ??
I do that. I start the van about once a week and move it forward and back a couple of times. I park just forwards or backwards of where it was to put the resting weight on a different part of the tyres. I do the same with the workvan. ??

Been using mine 3 1/2 yrs now. Section 3 got real thin and developed a 45cm lengthwise split aBout a year ago. Oddly I was able to carry on using it till the new section arrived but it was super thin. Then this year I made the mistake of pushing a little too hard on an opener and snapped the no.2 section. When I examined it, I recon it would have had quite a bit more life left in it had I not tried to close that opener. Lesson learned! 

Also, whereas the middle sections wear on the inside and out, the top and bottom most sections only wear from one side, inside or out. So I was considering lacquering section no.1 to see if I can extend its life.

What lacquer did you use Den?

I recon the bottom two sections will last many more years yet though.
Honestly not sure what brand as my son bought it but was engine lacquer and I have since thrown the empty can. There is a sort of discount shop in one of the larger villages near me they sell different cheap aerosol can sprays etc brands always changing so it would have been a cheap version. 

He done one his slx poles last year they are 4 years old and still working strong, a massive bonus Is you don’t get black carbon hands when lacquered. 

He done one his slx poles last year they are 4 years old and still working strong, a massive bonus Is you don’t get black carbon hands when lacquered. 
Doesn't seem that long since you started mate.

Means you've been lumbered speaking to me for over 4 years.

Thanks for that. Been wearing nitrile gloves since the lockdown and with the ground being largely dry at the moment the old black hand has not been such an issue in recent weeks but I do like the sound of that

I got a Phoenix 18 for most of my work even most of my 3 story jobs and I'm the same height as you.

Must be my monkey arms lol.

Got longer poles and extensions but it does me for 99% of my work.
I like the Phoenix poles as i prefer the clamps compared to gardiners etc.. can flip them open and shut fast with just my thumb.

Had a renegade years ago and came to like the clamps.

If gardiners could do clamps like that I would be bang on it.

Doesn't seem that long since you started mate.

Means you've been lumbered speaking to me for over 4 years.
Yip just over 4 years, you have been a great helped me from the very start ? and still haven’t bought you a beer yet ???

If anyone needs a cheap spare pole facelift xero 18 foot fibreglass is only 72 quid delivered including vat etc at the moment. 

Just bought 1 as a spare so my son can help while he's furloughed. 

Once he's back to work it's a dirt cheap backup.

Back