Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best UPVC restorer? And cement stain remover from UPVC?

Solvent cleaner like window fitters use will remove most things from the frames as it desolves  the surface  from the frames , used with care it’s very good .
I’ve ordered 4 bottles of that stuff, hopefully that’ll do the trick. ?

I’m going to try it out on these new builds that I’ve got, which all have cement stains around the UPVC.. 

Can you tell me what the best method of applying it is please? ?

Also I’m unsure how much extra to charge for dong it... Each window has stains on, average 10 windows per house. Don’t really know how long it’ll take as I’ve never done it before.. 

I wonder if they could get the cost of it reimbursed if they spoke to the relevant person? 

Many thanks, Luke. 

68ADABC7-47B1-49CC-B308-1D49918CFA41.png

Luke is it's specifically cement/mortar your looking to remove - don't think either products will remove it per se (they are more for scuffs and 'general staining')  - try soaking the 'snots' with water - hot if you have it and let dwell for 10-20min then re soak and try rubbing it with a small 'firm' sponge - you want to avoid scratching the sill/window as you do. repeat as required - wetting and keeping it wet is key - maybe a hose on it will help - gentle does it else you risk scratching window/frame. If you have scratched the frame use the cream cleaner to 'polish' it out - but best to avoid esp if these are new build windows - which I suspect they are ?  (get a waiver from the builder that you'll do your best but in removing some superficial scratches may occur - cya)

I would test on less obvious area first and go from there - pricewise - once you know you can remove it - trial a window - time how long it takes -  extrapolate for the rest - apply your ideal rate  - 

muriatic acid eats mortar but is nasty stuff and may also react with the window/upvc etc gentle approach is best - try water first

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m going to try it out on these new builds that I’ve got, which all have cement stains around the UPVC.. 

Also I’m unsure how much extra to charge for dong it... Each window has stains on, average 10 windows per house. Don’t really know how long it’ll take as I’ve never done it before.. 

I wonder if they could get the cost of it reimbursed if they spoke to the relevant person? 

Many thanks, Luke. 

View attachment 20304
Carefully scrape  off the mortar with scraper  then put the solvent cleaner on a cloth give it a good scrub over the whole window frame carefully as it is a solvent , this will remove the stains , we don’t do builders cleans any more but it does work well we do the occasional job for a customer where they have had an extension done doing it this way . 

Carefully scrape  off the mortar with scraper  then put the solvent cleaner on a cloth give it a good scrub over the whole window frame carefully as it is a solvent , this will remove the stains , we don’t do builders cleans any more but it does work well we do the occasional job for a customer where they have had an extension done doing it this way . 
Thanks for your help mate. ? They’re my regular customers but the builders/ window fitters never tidied their mess up. So I’m going to offer to clean it up for them.. 

Luke is it's specifically cement/mortar your looking to remove - don't think either products will remove it per se (they are more for scuffs and 'general staining')  - try soaking the 'snots' with water - hot if you have it and let dwell for 10-20min then re soak and try rubbing it with a small 'firm' sponge - you want to avoid scratching the sill/window as you do. repeat as required - wetting and keeping it wet is key - maybe a hose on it will help - gentle does it else you risk scratching window/frame. If you have scratched the frame use the cream cleaner to 'polish' it out - but best to avoid esp if these are new build windows - which I suspect they are ?  (get a waiver from the builder that you'll do your best but in removing some superficial scratches may occur - cya)

I would test on less obvious area first and go from there - pricewise - once you know you can remove it - trial a window - time how long it takes -  extrapolate for the rest - apply your ideal rate  - 

muriatic acid eats mortar but is nasty stuff and may also react with the window/upvc etc gentle approach is best - try water first
Thanks for your advice! ? So you’re saying the solvent cleaner won’t remove the cement stains and I should try hot water instead? 

The cleaners esp solvents are really 'designed' for ingrained grime/staining e.g birds/insect muck/scruff/weather exposure etc - so once you've cleaned the surface you can get the stubborn 'marks' off etc - once you start you will need to probably do the whole still as you'll leave a 'clean' mark and would need to bring the rest of the sill up the same finish for it to look 100%

So that said - if you've just got cement to remove - you can't apply it to the cement and expect it to shift - like Pjj posted it would no doubt help if you can shift the 'snot' of mortar first - maybe just using water/sponge (it may gently dissolve it) or plastic/wooden spatula (kitchen utensil ?  ) would help to break the bond onto the sill (try to 'lift it' off rather 'back and forth' scrape it off -  and it should/could lift straight off) then when the muck is off the cleaner would likely remove the 'shadow' left on the sill  - but you may find WFP at this point will clean any 'staining' left behind , if not then reach for the cleaner - would be my advice ? I usually favour a 'softly, softly, catchee monkey' approach keeps the risk of damage to a min - some prefer a more robust/nuclear approach - each to their own

I just use the Pink Stuff for PVC now.
I wonder could you advise on how you apply the Pink stuff? Do you use it to remove marks/stains on PVC windows/doors or do you use it just to polish them up and bring them back to life? Also do you use it on all colours of PVC or just white? And does it work on marks on the windows glass?

I done a new build over the weekend and a few of the windows glass and frames were marked with cement that seems to be weeping from the cement surrounding the windows and running down the window frames and glass. I would usually be patient and eventually get most marks off over time but these stains/marks weren't for moving. Can anyone advise on some products or techniques to remove cement marks from glass and frames? 

Thanks ?

With cement, constant water will soften it. If you can leave a damp cloth on it for 10mins all the better. I then use a Unger scraper on the glass after wetting it and white vinegar if any limescale on glass. I use the pink stuff on all pvc as it removes all black marks and then give a wash with the wfp. The paste stuff is the best and all I do is put it on a small damp scouring pad but I don't use it on glass in case I scratch it.

And does it work on marks on the windows glass?
Unger Rubout removes limescale marks on glass...so does supermarket limescale removers (vikal is glasssafe) use a window scraper, ensure glass is wet - use a solvent dissolver for any frame sealant marks etc

Further up on this thread are a couple of recommendations for upvc cleaning/restoring - follow the pack instructions and test in an inconspicuous area to confirm it will give the results you want (belt and braces) The one I recommended soudal solvent works 'miracles'  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the pink stuff recommend on here for quite awhile. My wife has a tub but I'd never used it.

I was cleaning the top of a freezer a couple of weeks ago in the outhouse, It has terrible rust stains and paint and inground marks and dirt that must be 40 years old and I've tried cleaning it before with soap and a scourer but it didn't make much difference. 

I didn't believe my wife when she said she could get the stains out with the pink stuff but lo and behold, 15 minutes later it looked brand new, immaculate!

Since then I've been trying it on everything and there's nothing it can't get out. Did my frames with it and was faster and better than using pvc solvent.

The only worry is that it leaves the surface slightly rougher as it's an abrasive. Is it going to make things harder to clean in the future as it's now a less polished surface?

Had anyone had any long time issues using it?

Many thanks, Luke. 

View attachment 20304
Did you ever get around to using this product and if so how did you get on?? Hopefully it done the trick for you ?

Latest Posts

Back