Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Recommended spare parts

DrGonzoSnr

After having controller problems recently which meant I had to get a replacement sent to me I've realised that I've got no spare parts and if anything else were to break it would result in lost earnings and stress! 

Can anyone recommend what spare parts are wise to have? 

I have a long and a short pole with a brush head and pole hose for each so got that covered but that's about it. 

What parts are liable to break over 1-3 years and need replacing? Do the connectors from reel to pole hose suddenly stop working properly from normal wear and tear? 

We have spare poles, brushes, connectors, male and female ez snaps for micro and mini bore, spare elbow swivel for electric reels and even a pump. Probably more parts that I don't remember as well.

Wouldn't fancy turning up to first job, furthest point from home, and something fails.
Especially your situation.

We are always pretty close to home although we do have a few spares on the van like those fittings you use including O clips and Hozelok O rings for connectors. 

I have a spare controller, pump, univalve and a whole lot of 'rubbish' I've collected over the years at home. I also have a few sets of 2mm brass jets which will never be used with Gardiners changing over to the jet capsule concept.

Especially your situation.

We are always pretty close to home although we do have a few spares on the van like those fittings you use including O clips and Hozelok O rings for connectors. 

I have a spare controller, pump, univalve and a whole lot of 'rubbish' I've collected over the years at home. I also have a few sets of 2mm brass jets which will never be used with Gardiners changing over to the jet capsule concept.
Might have everything but would probably need to find someone to do it for me ?

I must be psychic as my pole hose sprung a leak on a job on Thursday. 

Noticed my right leg and glove was pretty wet after one job but thought nothing of it. Next job I realised the hose had split where it's folded against the pole when I put it in my home made pole holder in the van. Didn't want to switch to my super heavy long pole so just carried on getting drenched instead. 

Sorted it out that evening by cutting it and moving Univalve down etc as it was long enough to do that but now I've ordered some pole hose as I don't have any more of that spare. 

I must be psychic as my pole hose sprung a leak on a job on Thursday. 

Noticed my right leg and glove was pretty wet after one job but thought nothing of it. Next job I realised the hose had split where it's folded against the pole when I put it in my home made pole holder in the van. Didn't want to switch to my super heavy long pole so just carried on getting drenched instead. 

Sorted it out that evening by cutting it and moving Univalve down etc as it was long enough to do that but now I've ordered some pole hose as I don't have any more of that spare. 
Couldn't you have just swapped the pole hose across.

We have a spare slx22 pole on the van with a flock brush head we use for leaded windows. We could revert to that until repairs can be done to the main pole.

We do have a roll of spare orange hose from Exceed Innovations. Its been used recently as a 'pull wire' to pull electrical cables through the body work of my current van when I was transferring the tank from my old van. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably change the female 6mm ez snap connector on my reel 3 -4 times a year. Even though I have a large protector ball on there as well they do just start randomly playing up. And you can never have too many o clamps! 

Also recently maybe I’m a bit too heavy handed when I’m shaking the brush dry when changing it over, but the new gardiner jet capsuals pop out, but never go back in properly, I’ve got a couple that leak ?

I probably change the female 6mm ez snap connector on my reel 3 -4 times a year. Even though I have a large protector ball on there as well they do just start randomly playing up. And you can never have too many o clamps! 

Also recently maybe I’m a bit too heavy handed when I’m shaking the brush dry when changing it over, but the new gardiner jet capsuals pop out, but never go back in properly, I’ve got a couple that leak ?
Instead of shaking the brush I hold it and flick my fingers back and forward across the bristles a few times.

I've had the new fan jet capsules come apart a couple of times. I found that by putting a small smear of Gorilla Glue around the separated piece, pushing it back into place and clamping it then leaving it for a couple of hours. Up to now I've never had them come apart again. Gorilla Glue needs a little dampness to activate and it expands slightly. If you use it, make sure you don't allow any to expand into the water jet. We always carry a small bottle in the van but it does tend to go hard fairly soon in the bottle once it's been opened so we try and line up a couple of repairs if we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since using the close coupled jet hoses and tee piece from Gardiner’s I’ve not had jet capsules come apart thankfully. It was getting to be a bit of a pain before as I love my swivel.

Since using the close coupled jet hoses and tee piece from Gardiner’s I’ve not had jet capsules come apart thankfully. It was getting to be a bit of a pain before as I love my swivel.
That's good. I'll look into them. I'm hoping to get a new pole and brush in the next week or two for washing the vehicles. I'm trying to decide on which. I'm thinking CLX 4, Standard Universal or flocked Sill Brush, 100 degree fan jets.

If anyone's got any suggestions to throw into the pot... Throw them in! I say. My experience of different brushes is very limited.

I only use two types of brush for houses : Extreme Sill and Medium Mixed Sill. And I will only use 100 degree fan jets. So like I say, I just need to choose a pole and brush for vehicles. ?

That's good. I'll look into them. I'm hoping to get a new pole and brush in the next week or two for washing the vehicles. I'm trying to decide on which. I'm thinking CLX 4, Standard Universal or flocked Sill Brush, 100 degree fan jets.

If anyone's got any suggestions to throw into the pot... Throw them in! I say. My experience of different brushes is very limited.

I only use two types of brush for houses : Extreme Sill and Medium Mixed Sill. And I will only use 100 degree fan jets. So like I say, I just need to choose a pole and brush for vehicles. ?
I have an old ultimate flock for our vehicles it has 50 degree fans ?

I have a clx4 for bungalows. The universal brush makes it very top heavy. Personally I use a flocked ultimate on it. But I wished I had bought the clx10 it’s more practical. 

I have a clx4 for bungalows. The universal brush makes it very top heavy. Personally I use a flocked ultimate on it. But I wished I had bought the clx10 it’s more practical. 
Thanks J, I was wondering if a CLX 10 would be better. I'm thinking flocked would be best for vehicles.

Thanks J, I was wondering if a CLX 10 would be better. I'm thinking flocked would be best for vehicles.
The clx4 is quite short really. I’ve never used it to wash van etc, but I find sometimes it’s a tad short, for the difference in money I would get the 10 if I was buying again. The flocked works well with short pole. I did have the universal on to start with but quickly removed it. You can’t put pressure on the pole with that brush it’s too light. 

The clx4 is quite short really. I’ve never used it to wash van etc, but I find sometimes it’s a tad short, for the difference in money I would get the 10 if I was buying again. The flocked works well with short pole. I did have the universal on to start with but quickly removed it. You can’t put pressure on the pole with that brush it’s too light. 
Thanks again J, yeah! I probably will go for the 10 after your feedback. I'll almost certainly get a flocked brush. I don't like them for windows but I think they're better for vehicles, where you can be dealing with an awful lot of road dirt. I'm thinking if I can get as close to the caravan brush I use now as possible. It's great for the job but won't fit on my Gardiner poles and on its own pole I can't change the angle.

Back