Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which cycles to choose

4-8 weekly you need less customers and windows are cleaner ,6-12 more customers needed windows will be considerably dirtier my customers certainly wouldn’t want 12 weeks they wouldn’t be able to see out of the windows and price will need to be higher , I think location and people’s attitude will affect this decision, but we only do 4-8 unless it’s commercial or a huge mansion type of place .

Posted this in another thread but if you’re starting out and prepared to try and get the extra customers I honestly think 6 weekly is the best, yes they’ll be slightly dirtier, but not a whole lot unless you’re on the coast, and you can charge more per clean so financially it really makes sense if you can get enough work to fill the extra 2 weeks:

For arguments sake:

100 jobs per week at £15 per job = £1500 

Over 12 weeks (3 cleans)£18000

6 weekly 

100 jobs per week at £20 = £2000

Over 12 weeks (2 cleans) £24000

Need 200 extra jobs To fill the extra 2 weeks

Make £24000 extra on a 48 week year

Obviously figures are simplified but you get the gist.. more work initially but more return in the long run...

It’s as I was expecting two valid arguments and the ones I have been having with myself. We are just starting and our main focus is going to be commercial in the long term but to get cashflow moving positively I felt residential would be best. Max I know you have simplified it, but your figures make interesting reading. 

It’s as I was expecting two valid arguments and the ones I have been having with myself. We are just starting and our main focus is going to be commercial in the long term but to get cashflow moving positively I felt residential would be best. Max I know you have simplified it, but your figures make interesting reading. 
I do mainly commercial and find offering monthly / bi monthly window cleaning to residential customers suits me best as it allows me to fit it around my commercial work which is majority monthly / quarterly. 

I do mainly commercial and find offering monthly / bi monthly window cleaning to residential customers suits me best as it allows me to fit it around my commercial work which is majority monthly / quarterly. 
Thanks Part timer. 

Do you manage many schools? Are they annually usually? 

Most of my customers are monthly. Which usually is between 4 and 5 weeks, depending how quickly I clean my round. It was 5 weeks or longer during winter with more rainy days, but its 4 weeks now. Windows are not dirty yet and its a bit strange to clean them if they are almost clean... Do you just clean them and enjoy easy job ?

Don't have enough work to move all to 6 weekly which might be good idea. I can slow down and do half days, but what do I do with monthly gocardless customers? Is there an option to set payment for every 6 weeks? 

Most of my customers are monthly. Which usually is between 4 and 5 weeks, depending how quickly I clean my round. It was 5 weeks or longer during winter with more rainy days, but its 4 weeks now. Windows are not dirty yet and its a bit strange to clean them if they are almost clean... Do you just clean them and enjoy easy job ?

Don't have enough work to move all to 6 weekly which might be good idea. I can slow down and do half days, but what do I do with monthly gocardless customers? Is there an option to set payment for every 6 weeks? 
GoCardless only takes money when you request it

Hi Moto 

thank you for your input. Regarding gocardless I believe you can set your own period between each payment but if you can’t just charge them 8 x 6 weekly cleans  divided by 12 monthly charges. 

6 weekly for definite. Only possible exception being on the coast or really dirty industrial area. This has been discussed to death. Do a search and read the conversations thoroughly as to the reasoning. I'd strongly suggest that you make some notes on the arguments and reasonings and run them by your accountant. As I've said so many times before on different subjects, "The devil is in the detail". ?

Last edited by a moderator:

We are 4/8 weekly some are filthy in that time others arnt , but that’s the options we offer for domestic anything else is a one off clean and priced as such 

GoCardless only takes money when you request it
I am new to GC, set the payment plan for monthly cleans and sent links to customers. It took first payments and shows next montly paymnts dates. Do I need to send requests after job completion now, or will they be charged automatically on set date? Thanks

I am new to GC, set the payment plan for monthly cleans and sent links to customers. It took first payments and shows next montly paymnts dates. Do I need to send requests after job completion now, or will they be charged automatically on set date? Thanks
Do you just use GoCardless dashboard? Or app like  aworka with it 

We have a big mixture of frequencies...

Monthly / 6 weekly / 8 weekly / 12 weekly and 16 weekly.

I'm currently in the process of converting all domestic jobs to either 6 weekly or 12 weekly only.

All monthly / 6 weekly and 8 weekly jobs will become 6 weekly, and all 12 weekly and 16 weekly jobs will become 12 weekly.

The main reason for doing this is to streamline and standardise the business more.

Making these changes will also increase our turnover by £23k per year.

Andy

I assume you're putting your prices up at the same time as well
No I'm not putting any prices up just yet.

The main bulk of extra turnover is coming from changing the 8 weekly jobs (which is the current frequency the majority of our domestic jobs are on) to 6 weekly - They will get an extra 2 cleans a year.

Andy

Back