Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning insurance

mark2788

Hi Ive had cover for years but need to renew and want to check what other traditional window cleaners use, I know to get public liability, does this cover if you need to go onto a roof? Wondered what companies you use to provide insurance, thanks 

Hi Ive had cover for years but need to renew and want to check what other traditional window cleaners use, I know to get public liability, does this cover if you need to go onto a roof? Wondered what companies you use to provide insurance, thanks 
Not certain but my insurance policy covers me working up to 10 metres from the ground. Each policy would be different so a chat to an Insurance Broker, so you can tell them what exactly you want, would be my route. The public liability would cover you, if listed, for any damage you do to climb on roofs. It wouldn't cover you if you fell off though.

I'm with gleaming insurance 227 a year but covers you for all cleaning,

window cleaning and your extras like con roofs etc 

Insured for damaged to property being work on 

so if you break the piece of glass your cleaning your insured but some cheaper ones your not insured for the glass you are cleaning 

I renewed mine 6 April got quotes from £60-£230 

so if you break the piece of glass your cleaning your insured but some cheaper ones your not insured for the glass you are cleaning 

What’s the excess with gleaming that you have to pay in the event of a claim ?? 

Mine, covering 2 of us, was £430 for £5m PL and £10m EL, excess of £250. I'm even covered for ironing, better not tell the wife ?

Ok so you are going to have to do some serious damage to ever claim off the insurance . An average sliding patio door costs  £150  per sheet of glass fitted ,and a pain of glass is £35-75 so you are insured but will still have to pay for  the damage yourself , when this type of insurance comes  into its own is on plate glass and huge toughened pains costing 2-3k a go , Ime not covered for the window Ime working on but I pay around £100 per year and in 21 years have broken two pains of glass using hot water @a cost of £35 and 45 a go . I found it cheaper  do it that way , evan if I had to lay  out 1k fir a damaged window it would still be cheaper just laying fir it myself .

Ok so you are going to have to do some serious damage to ever claim off the insurance . An average sliding patio door costs  £150  per sheet of glass fitted ,and a pain of glass is £35-75 so you are insured but will still have to pay for  the damage yourself , when this type of insurance comes  into its own is on plate glass and huge toughened pains costing 2-3k a go , Ime not covered for the window Ime working on but I pay around £100 per year and in 21 years have broken two pains of glass using hot water @a cost of £35 and 45 a go . I found it cheaper  do it that way , evan if I had to lay  out 1k fir a damaged window it would still be cheaper just laying fir it myself .
I appreciate what you are saying but for an extra £6 a week I don't need to worry about a thing.

Ok so you are going to have to do some serious damage to ever claim off the insurance . An average sliding patio door costs  £150  per sheet of glass fitted ,and a pain of glass is £35-75 so you are insured but will still have to pay for  the damage yourself , when this type of insurance comes  into its own is on plate glass and huge toughened pains costing 2-3k a go , Ime not covered for the window Ime working on but I pay around £100 per year and in 21 years have broken two pains of glass using hot water @a cost of £35 and 45 a go . I found it cheaper  do it that way , evan if I had to lay  out 1k fir a damaged window it would still be cheaper just laying fir it myself 
I've never claimed of my insurance never broke a pain of glass

I've broken couple of tiles on roofs but had them replaced the next day easy to change no point claiming of insurance broke couple of plant plots I just give them a free clean all ways happy 

I pay the extra so I know I'm covered for what ever I do and if I didn't pay the extra it would only go to the tax man so for £19 a month can not complain 

I appreciate what you are saying but for an extra £6 a week I don't need to worry about a thing.
I understand that but you are still going to have to pay the first £250 of any claim , so is it worth it ?. How often/likely are you actually going to be claiming off the insurance? And if you do the premium will go up significantly, I didn’t feel it was worth the expense it would work out cheaper for  me to just pay for  any damages caused I would only claim off the insurance if it was going to run into many thousands , 

I've never claimed of my insurance never broke a pain of glass

I've broken couple of tiles on roofs but had them replaced the next day easy to change no point claiming of insurance broke couple of plant plots I just give them a free clean all ways happy 

I pay the extra so I know I'm covered for what ever I do and if I didn't pay the extra it would only go to the tax man so for £19 a month can not complain 
I understand what you are saying but over a year that’s an extra £228 or over 5 years £1140 or 10 years £2280 that’s a lot of money down the drain that you could be benefiting from ,the old expression look after the penny’s and the pounds look after themselves , but I do understand if the worst happens you don’t need to worry . 

I understand what you are saying but over a year that’s an extra £228 or over 5 years £1140 or 10 years £2280 that’s a lot of money down the drain that you could be benefiting from ,the old expression look after the penny’s and the pounds look after themselves , but I do understand if the worst happens you don’t need to worry . 
Like you we do fairly high stuff so wouldn't like to cost a repair 50' up. All to do with peace of mind for me.

Its just over a days work to cover you for the whole year 

I don't look at it how much I'll save over the years if I wana save money I'll put my jobs up ? I do 350-400 houses a month so I'll put them up 50p should cover my insurance ? 

• Internal and external cleaning of commercial properties including shops, offices, restaurants, pubs and other properties

occupied by businesses and the internal and external cleaning of domestic properties including;

◦ End of tenancy and holiday home cleaning including caravans (interior and exterior).

◦ Conservatory and solar panel cleaning.

◦ Carpet, upholstery, hard floors, soft furnishing and curtain cleaning.

◦ Gutter, soffit, fascia, signage and frame cleaning.

◦ Kitchen and oven cleaning (domestic and catering only) excluding industrial ovens.

◦ White goods cleaning including fridges and washing machines.

◦ Pressure washing to 248 bar (3,600 psi) including softwashing

◦ Contract Cleaning

◦ Ironing Services

◦ Window Cleaning

◦ Working at a height no greater than that shown in the Schedule.

◦ Remedial maintenance work, painting and decorating and gardening (excluding tree lopping or feeling) subject to

these activities not exceeding 20% of the overall turnover

This is what I'm insured for so doesn't say on roof but working at height yes

Do your ones cover if you work on a roof? None of the insurers mention it so thought I'd ask 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back