Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo in your eyes isn't fun

Dave B

Staff member
So had a fascia job to do next door to a pressure washing job I just finished. Decided to spray the really green side with the hypo I had left over.

Didn't put my visor on as it was a quick job and didn't think.

Got it in the face off the breeze.

After thorough washing from garden tap it feels like I've been swimming for 24 hours.

Go carefull guys and don't take a chance like I just did.

Not worth the aggro for not looking stupid with a visor on.

So had a fascia job to do next door to a pressure washing job I just finished. Decided to spray the really green side with the hypo I had left over.

After thorough washing from garden tap it feels like I've been swimming for 24 hours.

I generally wear goggles all the time and even a cheap pair are good. I don't do much softwashing now and if I do I charge a good bit to make it worth my while.

Your eyes will just look like @Den did after a night out with me ?

Bit of a novices mistake for such an experienced person 

Your eyes will just look like @Den did after a night out with me ?

Bit of a novices mistake for such an experienced person 
Yeah I know.

Was just a bit of fascia so thought I'd quickly spray a bit on there and be fine.

Then just as I did it it turned from still air to breezy and blew straight back at me.

At least I was wearing one of my 2 softwash/ pressure wash polos so already looks tye died lol.

Just shows that it's not worth taking chances even if it seems ok.. would have took 30 seconds to go back to van and get visor out.

I generally wear goggles all the time and even a cheap pair are good. I don't do much softwashing now and if I do I charge a good bit to make it worth my while.
I bet you look like eddie the eagle lol.

Looking forward to next time your local @Part Timer.

I reckon my eyes could look worse.

@Den better offer me his sofa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry to hear that Dave, well put it this way, it could have been worse, and at least you’ll never take that risk again  (and I’m talking about the accident, not the night out with Den & Pt lol. Although sounds like it could apply to both ?)

I once touched my ear whilst spraying bio...didn't think much of it...till the next morning lobe was burnt only 5p sized but was painful for days...easily done...I make a point of having 'SW only' gloves now that I use and remove when finished.

Often looked at the first aid kit's with the eye wash solutions - think I might add it to the van's first aid kit - hypo is light and easily blown around...just before coronavirus I was looking at upgrading to a FFP3 with a belt mounted powered filtered air - mask is like a helmet but light - but I didn't buy as I thought it would be needed more in this crisis - but will defo get it when this has all died down - it's easy to breathe the 'mist' that's generated aswell...?

Hope youre ok mate, best to take no chances with softwashing. I price it high to allow for dwell time and to allow for the safety precautions. Even if just doing a patio, lets say e.g. to pressure wash only would be £120, a hypo clean would be £220, biocide treatment £320. Its not nice stuff to work with and uncomfortable in all the gear so i’m not interested in doing it for less. I dont do much of it but when i do do it at least im not rushing or taking shortcuts because its been under priced. A recent patio i did took a whole day with hypo & biocide treatments because after the hypo wash it rained torrentially for two hours and i had to wait it out before applying the biocide or it would have been wasted. Luckily it dried out around 3pm and got it applied without having to come back another day

I was doing the front of a detached house for £100 and in the blink of an eye the postman nipped under my pole and posted stuff through their letterbox. I'm sure some hypo dripped on his jacket and it made me think. You really need two folk to do it because you anyways need a lookout. I had cones all round where I was working but folk just think you are brushing on a cleaner and couldn't care less. Say the hypo dripped down his neck and burned him then he would be suing me for everything. After that job I weighed up Risk verses Reward and quickly realised that its not in my favour. It was a good lesson and probably my last unless its well in my favour. ?

Scottish just pick up reel of barrier tape a few quid from toolstation/screfix et al ....i run it round wherever I'm about to work - 100% keeps everyone out of your 'safe area of work' - in your scenario run it from cone to cone - i also have a few diy A4 laminate warning cleaning chemicals signs which attach to the tape...never had anyone dare to cross the tape...it's magically stuff ? 

Scottish just pick up reel of barrier tape a few quid from toolstation/screfix et al ....i run it round wherever I'm about to work - 100% keeps everyone out of your 'safe area of work' - in your scenario run it from cone to cone - i also have a few diy A4 laminate warning cleaning chemicals signs which attach to the tape...never had anyone dare to cross the tape...it's magically stuff ? 
Good point but i just think there is easier ways to make money. Will still use hypo on patios, paths and driveways but not doing walls unless its well worth it. I just think there's too much hassle. Today i was fixing a gutter for a customer and the neighbour asked if I could fix their's. Took me about 10mins to fix it and put a screw in it because it kept moving and took £20 for it. £180 I got today by leaving at 10am and back home for 2.30pm which i would take all day long for 13 houses. My mate who works in an office said you can't make much money cleaning windows. ?

Back