Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fitting submersible pump and hose

Algie

I need to put a submersible pump and hose into my ibc tank but am struggling abit.

Do people fit a pipe to their pump or just transfer hose. 

I know i need to cut ahole into my tank but any advice would be grateful .

Had this a year now and really need to get it up and running.

Thanks.

15888601527107876020781547182084.jpg

15888601764564088659915694278185.jpg

i put a rigid length of pipe just to hold it in place at the bottom, otherwise i found it'd float a bit and tip over occasionally. not a big deal, but a bit more convenient and stops it getting air locked.

i put a rigid length of pipe just to hold it in place at the bottom, otherwise i found it'd float a bit and tip over occasionally. not a big deal, but a bit more convenient and stops it getting air locked.
I tried my pump in a large bucket and it was floating about in that, so a rigid bit of pipe would be perfect.

Did you use 1 1/2 inch pipe and does it come out of your lid.

Also where does the pipe that fill the tank go ? Also into the lid ?

Sorry about all the questions but this is so helpful . I appreciate the help ?

I tried my pump in a large bucket and it was floating about in that, so a rigid bit of pipe would be perfect.

Did you use 1 1/2 inch pipe and does it come out of your lid.

Also where does the pipe that fill the tank go ? Also into the lid ?

Sorry about all the questions but this is so helpful . I appreciate the help ?
yes both hoses in and out of the lid, but only because i have a custom tank so i didn't want cut any holes in it.  i also used an elbow as the transfer hose i have is lay flat so it kinked badly, if yours is stiffer you might not need it. 

I need to put a submersible pump and hose into my ibc tank but am struggling abit.

Do people fit a pipe to their pump or just transfer hose. 

I know i need to cut ahole into my tank but any advice would be grateful .

Had this a year now and really need to get it up and running.

Thanks.

View attachment 20356

View attachment 20357
You don't need a submersible pump. Most people who use them don't.  A simple water transfer pump which is sat on top of the IBC would suit your purpose much better. Mine was £72 Inc from Machine Mart six years ago. Simply remove the white cap from the centre of your filler cap and put the suction hose through there. A float switch has no benefit at all for emptying an IBC only for preventing overfilling when processing. I chose to avoid submersible so I wouldn't have to cut into my IBC. Also there was no danger of it falling over and replacement would be simply a matter of pulling out the hose.

20200507_161212.jpg

yes both hoses in and out of the lid, but only because i have a custom tank so i didn't want cut any holes in it.  i also used an elbow as the transfer hose i have is lay flat so it kinked badly, if yours is stiffer you might not need it. 
Thats a great help, thanks ?

You don't need a submersible pump. Most people who use them don't.  A simple water transfer pump which is sat on top of the IBC would suit your purpose much better. Mine was £72 Inc from Machine Mart six years ago. Simply remove the white cap from the centre of your filler cap and put the suction hose through there. A float switch has no benefit at all for emptying an IBC only for preventing overfilling when processing. I chose to avoid submersible so I wouldn't have to cut into my IBC. Also there was no danger of it falling over and replacement would be simply a matter of pulling out the hose.
It does sound like an easier solution. 

Does it take long to fill your van tank?

Mine is 700 litres. 

It does sound like an easier solution. 

Does it take long to fill your van tank?

Mine is 700 litres. 
Our tank is 650 litres. Probably about 10 minutes. We don't find it a long time. While it's filling we'll maybe be checking tds readings or checking on anything we think might need to be looked over. I'd be pretty confident it would be quicker than your submersible.

Our tank is 650 litres. Probably about 10 minutes. We don't find it a long time. While it's filling we'll maybe be checking tds readings or checking on anything we think might need to be looked over. I'd be pretty confident it would be quicker than your submersible.
Thanks for the advice,  im definitely going to look into it.

I don't think gravity would be as quick as a pump unless there is a lot of difference in height between the tanks and the transfer hose is a larger diameter.
As a rough guide, id say the tank is raised enough, along with the sloped access road, to sit the base of the IBC at the top of the Van tank. Using 30m of 1" delivery hose it takes roughly 12-15mins to fill a 500L tank. It's not high pressure by any means, but it flows well.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 20360
Took your advice and went for the pump outside of the tank.

Do you keep your suction pipe permanently in the water?

Anychance you could show me a picture please, would be much appreciated as im struggling to set it up.

Said about priming the pump first.

Does that mean water stays in the pump all the time and is it a problem with the cold weather?

Thanks.

Took your advice and went for the pump outside of the tank.

Do you keep your suction pipe permanently in the water?

Anychance you could show me a picture please, would be much appreciated as im struggling to set it up.

Said about priming the pump first.

Does that mean water stays in the pump all the time and is it a problem with the cold weather?

Thanks.
Hi Algie, no problem.

Yes the suction hose stays permanently in the water. Allow a couple of feet more than the depth of the tank so some hose can lay on the bottom. Make sure that all hose fittings are water and air tight.

Important : fix a secure place to hang the open end of the delivery hose above the level of the pump and tank for stowage when not being used. If you don't do this your pipe will syphon the water out of the tank.

Water stays in the pipe and the pump the whole time. This means you won't have to prime it every time. It will remain primed.

There are two ways to prime the pump. The official way is to remove the large brass screw which is beside the two hose entries on the pump and pour water in while the pump is running. Switch off and replace the screw as soon as the water starts pumping. The trouble with this method is you will get water spilled on top of the tank. Not ideal in my case as I have carpet in the garage and camping gear on top of the tank.

My preferred method is to stretch the delivery hose out of the garage or shed, keep the open end higher than the pump and pour water into the delivery hose. Make sure that you work the water back along the hose so it can fill the pump. You might have to lift the hose and work the water back. Have the pump switched on for a few moments when you do this stage.

You would do well to protect all your equipment from freezing including the transfer pump.

Take your time, no need to worry. It's easier than it sounds.

Any problems, let us know on the forum. I'm confident we'll be able to help you sort it.

Please let us know how you get on. ?20200517_203540.jpg

Hi Algie, no problem.

Yes the suction hose stays permanently in the water. Allow a couple of feet more than the depth of the tank so some hose can lay on the bottom. Make sure that all hose fittings are water and air tight.

Important : fix a secure place to hang the open end of the delivery hose above the level of the pump and tank for stowage when not being used. If you don't do this your pipe will syphon the water out of the tank.

Water stays in the pipe and the pump the whole time. This means you won't have to prime it every time. It will remain primed.

There are two ways to prime the pump. The official way is to remove the large brass screw which is beside the two hose entries on the pump and pour water in while the pump is running. Switch off and replace the screw as soon as the water starts pumping. The trouble with this method is you will get water spilled on top of the tank. Not ideal in my case as I have carpet in the garage and camping gear on top of the tank.

My preferred method is to stretch the delivery hose out of the garage or shed, keep the open end higher than the pump and pour water into the delivery hose. Make sure that you work the water back along the hose so it can fill the pump. You might have to lift the hose and work the water back. Have the pump switched on for a few moments when you do this stage.

You would do well to protect all your equipment from freezing including the transfer pump.

Any problems, let us know on the forum. I'm confident we'll be able to help you sort it.

Please let us know how you get on. ?View attachment 20514
Thanks for the promp reply and picture Davy G.

I think i just need stick with it and sort out a system.

I have 30meters of 1/12 inch hose which gets really heavy when full of water plus i was trying to roll it up lol.

Thanks for all the advice, it really is a great help.

I will definitely let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the promp reply and picture Davy G.

I think i just need stick with it and sort out a system.

I have 30meters of 1/12 inch hose which gets really heavy when full of water plus i was trying to roll it up lol.

Thanks for all the advice, it really is a great help.

I will definitely let you know how i get on.
You're very welcome Algie, I don't envy you trying to roll up 30 metres of 1 1/2 hose. Do you need that length or can you shorten it? Do you have to roll it up or can you leave it out, even if you just double it back on itself and hang the open end above pump height for stowage? It's only the open end that needs to be stowed higher, it doesn't matter about the rest of the pipe.

It's important to sort as easy a system as possible. You could be doing it for years and in all weathers. We find our system a pleasure. It's almost as easy as filling up at a petrol pump.

You're very welcome Algie, I don't envy you trying to roll up 30 metres of 1 1/2 hose. Do you need that length or can you shorten it? Do you have to roll it up or can you leave it out, even if you just double it back on itself and hang the open end above pump height for stowage? It's only the open end that needs to be stowed higher, it doesn't matter about the rest of the pipe.
Yes unfortunately i do need all 30 meters but thinking rather than rolling it up just going to get a large hook to hang the open end up  and just stow the rest away.

On the plus side it filled my van very quickly and is a really good pump.

Hi Algie, no problem.

Please let us know how you get on. ?View attachment 20514
We have been using a similar transfer pump although mine is stored in a cupboard. The cupboard has a low wattage bulb that can be switched on to keep the pump frost free during those cold winter nights.

I also fitted a brass footvalve onto the end of the hose in the IBC tank. I have 1 1/4" transfer hose.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Foot-Valve-Pump-inlet-filter-with-hosetail-3-4-1-1-1-4-1-1-2/282996151736?var=583313373637&hash=item41e3e295b8:m:mQhvsD_8HCuxIVqdGwveemQ

We have been using a similar transfer pump although mine is stored in a cupboard. The cupboard has a low wattage bulb that can be switched on to keep the pump frost free during those cold winter nights.

I also fitted a brass footvalve onto the end of the hose in the IBC tank. I have 1 1/4" transfer hose.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Foot-Valve-Pump-inlet-filter-with-hosetail-3-4-1-1-1-4-1-1-2/282996151736?var=583313373637&hash=item41e3e295b8:m:mQhvsD_8HCuxIVqdGwveemQ
The footvalve is a great idea.

Like the idea of it being in a cubbard to protect the pump but just want to get it working first.

Do you have a shut off valve on the end of the pipe you fill your van  with ?

Back