Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

not cleaning related installing a outdoor security light

johnny bravo

is it easy to install a pir led security light.      can you have it pluged in to socket.       they all state hard wired to fuse box.       want some light security at back of house, let you know if any vermin around , the larger ones

Last edited by a moderator:
is it easy to install a pir led security light.      can you have it pluged in to socket.       they all state hard wired to fuse box.       want some light security at back of house, let you know if any vermin around 
Best bet is have an electrician do it for you ,I have had one put up and connected  to the power supply in a bedroom , I have a remote cordless switch to turn it on and off works a treat 

is it easy to install a pir led security light.      can you have it pluged in to socket.       they all state hard wired to fuse box.       want some light security at back of house, let you know if any vermin around 
It shouldn't be too difficult. I have one on the back of my garage which covers the back garden. It has two light levels, a low level comes on at dusk and a high level comes on as soon as movement is detected. There's an optimum installation height and this will be on your installation leaflet. I took the live wire to the single light switch inside the side door of the garage and replaced the single switch with a double. One for the Interior lights in the garage and one for the new outside PIR light. I took the neutral back to the fuse unit in the garage, if I remember correctly. You may or may not have a fuse/consumer unit in the garage. I have fitted them to a plug in the past, but I believe it's not liked by the professionals and may cause issues in the event of an insurance claim. If you do go the plug route I'd put a lower rated fuse in the plug. If you do it yourself, work from the light back and make sure you allow plenty cable to go a safe, tidy route to your connections. Be very careful. Study and plan. Check, check and check. Use a mains tester screwdriver. If you can at all, I'd get someone competent to do it, or oversee while you do it. Check my advice is correct, I'm no electrician, and please stay safe.

It shouldn't be too difficult. I have one on the back of my garage which covers the back garden. It has two light levels, a low level comes on at dusk and a high level comes on as soon as movement is detected. There's an optimum installation height and this will be on your installation leaflet. I took the live wire to the single light switch inside the side door of the garage and replaced the single switch with a double. One for the Interior lights in the garage and one for the new outside PIR light. I took the neutral back to the fuse unit in the garage, if I remember correctly. You may or may not have a fuse/consumer unit in the garage. I have fitted them to a plug in the past, but I believe it's not liked by the professionals and may cause issues in the event of an insurance claim. If you do go the plug route I'd put a lower rated fuse in the plug. If you do it yourself, work from the light back and make sure you allow plenty cable to go a safe, tidy route to your connections. Be very careful. Study and plan. Check, check and check. Use a mains tester screwdriver. If you can at all, I'd get someone competent to do it, or oversee while you do it. Check my advice is correct, I'm no electrician, and please stay safe.
You will also need a certificate showing it’s been done by a qualified electrician if you sell the house it’s part of the new regulations that were brought in a few years ago 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-guardian-led-floodlight-pir-black-8w-warm-white/2837V?tc=MB4&ds_kid=92700048793290388&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzN71BRCOARIsAF8pjfhN4Wjg12HauuaFVEkCMWYveUYYI01oKbzxvqAAI-gitc4zLEafvQkaAjnoEALw_wcB

This is the one I got

I put a plug on end of it with a 3amp fuse works fine 

Make sure it's a 3 amp fuse or you could wire a spur of a socket then wire light in to a spur then the spur is fussed 

But you should all ways check with a qualified electrician first 

Or could all ways buy your lights, screw to wall, add junction box,

wire in, wire out to fuse a box,

ring electrician to wire in should be quick easy job for a  electrician

if you have had no issues on the above light I may try that.    do you just leave the  plug turned on 24/7
I Leave it on over the winter as its got a sensor on

turn it over in summer months 

Just remember to put a loop in your wire 

so any water will drip of the loop and not go in your light or in your wall /plug 

You can also get solar ones? No wired then 

is it easy to install a pir led security light.      can you have it pluged in to socket.       they all state hard wired to fuse box.       want some light security at back of house, let you know if any vermin around , the larger ones
I’ve just put up a PIR camera, alarm and strobe up at the unit. Had an attempt break in. They couldn’t get in but smashed a van window and stole zilch.

My kit was from ultra secure direct.

Works well.

Easy job as long as you can drill holes correctly spaced apart!

Just use a plug-in type RCD (circuit breaker) as the plug instead of a normal plug. If it's a plug-in RCD then the wiring isn't permanent and thus it's merely an extension which isn't typically subject to the same laws. Bonkers but true.

Back