Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

5 PEOPLE IN WORKVAN

ppads52

hi,is anyone in similar circumstances as myself, if so are you still working? we work in a squad of 4 sometimes 5 chaps. im the only driver and pick everyone up from there houses then travel to work, so im in the van probs 90 minutes before work. social distancing is easy to practice at work, the problem is travelling to and from with 5 chaps at a time.is anyone in similar situation, if so how are you doing it?

We work two guys per van normally , we are now one per van and having to meet up on commercial jobs with two vehicles , don’t know what Ime going to do next month as we have jobs 300 miles away from base and Ime certainly not taking two vans that far ,

We work two guys per van normally , we are now one per van and having to meet up on commercial jobs with two vehicles , don’t know what Ime going to do next month as we have jobs 300 miles away from base and Ime certainly not taking two vans that far ,
You would need to fit a clear perspex screen inbetween or jamb it between roof and seat. ?

Strictly speaking you can have two people in a van, for safety reasons I would get each person to wear a mask and the passenger to sit as close as possible to the door. Read this I've cut and pasted off the Gov site. It doesn't however allow 5 people in a van. I've highlighted the relevant section

Social distancing in the workplace - principles

Social distancing involves reducing day-to-day contact with other people as much as possible, in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Businesses and workplaces should encourage their employees to work at home, wherever possible.

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel to work. This is consistent with the Chief Medical Officer for England’s advice.

The advice on social distancing measures applies to everyone and should be followed wherever possible. Workplaces need to avoid crowding and minimise opportunities for the virus to spread by maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres (3 steps) between individuals wherever possible. This advice applies both to inside the workplace, and to where staff may need to interact with customers. Staff should be reminded to wash their hands regularly using soap and water for 20 seconds and particularly after blowing their nose, sneezing or coughing. Where facilities to wash hands are not available, hand sanitiser should be used. Workers should cover any coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue in a bin and immediately wash their hands.

The practical implementation of this advice will depend on the local circumstances; see examples for various industries.

A few general indicators will be relevant to the majority of business settings:

make regular announcements to remind staff and/or customers to follow social distancing advice and wash their hands regularly

encourage the use of digital and remote transfers of material where possible rather than paper format, such as using e-forms, emails and e-banking

provide additional pop-up handwashing stations or facilities if possible, providing soap, water, hand sanitiser and tissues and encourage staff to use them

where it is possible to remain 2 metres apart, use floor markings to mark the distance, particularly in the most crowded areas (for example, where queues form)

where it is not possible to remain 2 metres apart, staff should work side by side, or facing away from each other, rather than face to face if possible

where face-to-face contact is essential, this should be kept to 15 minutes or less wherever possible

as much as possible, keep teams of workers together (cohorting), and keep teams as small as possible

Additionally, for customer-facing businesses:

use signage to direct movement into lanes, if feasible, while maintaining a 2 metre distance

regulate entry so that the premises do not become overcrowded

use additional signage to ask customers not to enter the premises if they have symptoms

if feasible, place plexiglass barriers at points of regular interaction as an additional element of protection for workers and customers (where customers might touch or lean against these, ensure they are cleaned and disinfected as often as is feasible in line with standard cleaning procedures)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19 

Strictly speaking you can have two people in a van, for safety reasons I would get each person to wear a mask and the passenger to sit as close as possible to the door. Read this I've cut and pasted off the Gov site. It doesn't however allow 5 people in a van. I've highlighted the relevant section

Social distancing involves reducing day-to-day contact with other people as much as possible, in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Businesses and workplaces should encourage their employees to work at home, wherever possible.

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel to work. This is consistent with the Chief Medical Officer for England’s advice.

The advice on social distancing measures applies to everyone and should be followed wherever possible. Workplaces need to avoid crowding and minimise opportunities for the virus to spread by maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres (3 steps) between individuals wherever possible. This advice applies both to inside the workplace, and to where staff may need to interact with customers. Staff should be reminded to wash their hands regularly using soap and water for 20 seconds and particularly after blowing their nose, sneezing or coughing. Where facilities to wash hands are not available, hand sanitiser should be used. Workers should cover any coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue in a bin and immediately wash their hands.

The practical implementation of this advice will depend on the local circumstances; see examples for various industries.

make regular announcements to remind staff and/or customers to follow social distancing advice and wash their hands regularly

encourage the use of digital and remote transfers of material where possible rather than paper format, such as using e-forms, emails and e-banking

provide additional pop-up handwashing stations or facilities if possible, providing soap, water, hand sanitiser and tissues and encourage staff to use them

where it is possible to remain 2 metres apart, use floor markings to mark the distance, particularly in the most crowded areas (for example, where queues form)

where it is not possible to remain 2 metres apart, staff should work side by side, or facing away from each other, rather than face to face if possible

where face-to-face contact is essential, this should be kept to 15 minutes or less wherever possible

as much as possible, keep teams of workers together (cohorting), and keep teams as small as possible

use signage to direct movement into lanes, if feasible, while maintaining a 2 metre distance

use additional signage to ask customers not to enter the premises if they have symptoms

if feasible, place plexiglass barriers at points of regular interaction as an additional element of protection for workers and customers (where customers might touch or lean against these, ensure they are cleaned and disinfected as often as is feasible in line with standard cleaning procedures)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19 
Ok thanks that’s interesting without trying to be pedantic , surely if you applied that everyone would still be working ?. I think this is referring to essential workers like , dustmen ,doctors /nurses supermarket workers , not window cleaners ?. 

Ok thanks that’s interesting without trying to be pedantic , surely if you applied that everyone would still be working ?. I think this is referring to essential workers like , dustmen ,doctors /nurses supermarket workers , not window cleaners ?. 
No it's for anyone. If you click on the link below, which has guidance for business and employers in it and no mention of key workers, it's the full guidance. My son was trying to get out of working, he's guaranteed £1800 a month so isn't fussed about working if he doesn't have to, citing social distancing and being in the same van. When I showed him this he decided he didn't have any more excuses. 

I have just read through all of it and printed off the section saying about vehicle cabs , just in case the police ask , you are right I think it should be ok ,but still say that everyone could be working still if they applied all this legislation 

No it's for anyone. If you click on the link below, which has guidance for business and employers in it and no mention of key workers, it's the full guidance. My son was trying to get out of working, he's guaranteed £1800 a month so isn't fussed about working if he doesn't have to, citing social distancing and being in the same van. When I showed him this he decided he didn't have any more excuses. 
No no no no. He's just buying himself some time so he can think of another excuse.?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just read through all of it and printed off the section saying about vehicle cabs , just in case the police ask , you are right I think it should be ok ,but still say that everyone could be working still if they applied all this legislation 
That is exactly what a government expert was saying on 5 live Friday. 

Basically said that anyone who can't work from home should be at work as the economy needs it and should be sticking to safe working and distancing regulations as much as possible.

Said that people who can go to work but don't are taking that decision on themselves not doing as they have been told.

I think we both have plenty of experience regarding this matter ?
I got a 19 year old.. I know that trick lol.

We’re doing one guy, one van.

Taking two vehicles over to Norfolk tomorrow because of this. It’s reassuring for the employees and clients.

Mixing 5 households can’t be ideal. Why not take another vehicle?

im the only driver
There are some things that can be done and some things which are impossible to do. Under the circumstances you might take the risk but then you have to ask if its worth taking those risks. People who have suffered Covid19 tell you not to take those risks.

Will the police see things the same way as you do if they stop and inspect your vehicle? Do you really need to be working?

Back