Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting first reel, which hose?

Chris34

I'm just looking at trying to keep the trolley in the van to save on my back and improve efficiency so I'm getting a reel.  What hose should I get for the reel?  I've just ordered 25 metres of the green pu 5mm pole hose, not tried it yet but it says you can't use it on a reel, I can understand about durability but has anyone just used pole hose on a reel before or is it just not possible?  I've already got one of those massive hoses and it's now sat in the garage never to be used again as it's so tiring to drag about, easier to just wheel the trolley about, I see that there is the 6mm one but after using the 8mm one it's got me nervous about making the wrong choice.  So do any of you just use pole hose on a reel?  

morning @Chris34. I've used both 6mm and 8mm.

The 8mm had more flow and was a bit susceptible to kinking and bending. It was 50metre length and an early mistake in my opinion.

We now have 6mm hoses at 100m twice in each van. There is a reinforced 100m 6mm that can be found on eBay in various colours for around 45-50 delivered.

Compared to another 6mm hose from a window cleaning equipment supplier the ebay ones are a bit stiffer and more durable. Over the course of over 2 years since I've had it, it's been very good at coping with wear and it gets used almost all day everyday.

My personal recommendation would be the ebay one but may be worth hearing others thoughts just in case.

morning @Chris34. I've used both 6mm and 8mm.

The 8mm had more flow and was a bit susceptible to kinking and bending. It was 50metre length and an early mistake in my opinion.

We now have 6mm hoses at 100m twice in each van. There is a reinforced 100m 6mm that can be found on eBay in various colours for around 45-50 delivered.

Compared to another 6mm hose from a window cleaning equipment supplier the ebay ones are a bit stiffer and more durable. Over the course of over 2 years since I've had it, it's been very good at coping with wear and it gets used almost all day everyday.

My personal recommendation would be the ebay one but may be worth hearing others thoughts just in case.
Have you a link please?

I'm just looking at trying to keep the trolley in the van to save on my back and improve efficiency so I'm getting a reel.  What hose should I get for the reel?  I've just ordered 25 metres of the green pu 5mm pole hose, not tried it yet but it says you can't use it on a reel, I can understand about durability but has anyone just used pole hose on a reel before or is it just not possible?  I've already got one of those massive hoses and it's now sat in the garage never to be used again as it's so tiring to drag about, easier to just wheel the trolley about, I see that there is the 6mm one but after using the 8mm one it's got me nervous about making the wrong choice.  So do any of you just use pole hose on a reel?  
What pump have you got?

I think it's the streamflo one here

https://purefreedom.co.uk/streamflo-4-5lpm-100psi-diaphragm-pump.html

It's the one supplied on the nano trolley.  I've tried to take a photo of it but without taking it off I can't see the specifications but I can see that it says streamflo.
One of the suppliers sells that with a controller and 100 meters of hose on a hose reel along with a 85amp hour leisure battery.

I asked because someone might think a small backpack pump will work on a van mount.

I've done a few posts regarding the flow rate differences between 6mm microbore and 8mm minibore hose. Using microbore put much more strain on my Shurflo pump that using minibore in the exact same situation.

Flow rate of 3 (my usual flow rate of choice giving ample water for rinsing) on my Varistream controller.

Amp draw;

Minibore = 2.0 amps

Microbore = 3.5 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

Flow rate increased to 4.

Minibore = 2.9 amps

Microbore = 5.2 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

Hose connected to van port but not to hose reel. Water free flowing.

Amp draw = 1.3 amps.

Microbore hose is around 1/2 the volume of minibore and as you can see the pump has to work harder to push the same flow setting of water through the microbore hose. (Actually the flow rate is also slightly less using microbore on the same settings. Its really noticeable in winter when the water in the tank is much colder.)

I realise this happened many years ago now but the suppliers of Shurflo pumps openly stated that they would not guarantee any pumps used on any hose smaller than 1/2" back then. The original pumps were rated at 65psi. The manufacturers uprated them to 100psi. I'm not sure if this was in response to the choice window cleaners were making regarding hose size or not, but it came at roughly the same time. 

1/2" hose was a nightmare to work with. I opted to reduce my personal risk by going for minibore hose rather the microbore. I fitted microbore onto one hose reel last year to see how it would work having used minibore for more than 12 years.

Interesting read and the implications of the Shurflo pump warranty. Their inspection charge and carriage charges are basically telling us to take on the warranty risk ourselves.

https://www.williamsonpumps.com/inspection-charge---from-1000-each--vat-2257-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely dead end amperage should drop away to nearly nothing with a controller?
The dead end amperage I've noted is at the peak the current draw reaches when the dead end is triggered by the controller. Once dead end has activated the current draw is zero for around 3/4 seconds before the controller pulse tests the system to see if the tap/univalve etc has been turned on.

I can't remember if the controller is calibrated to B or C. If I raise the calibration the current draw will increase before the controller dead ends the pump.

When I used just a trolley the green pu was the best I used.

No univalve just kink the hose as no memory and doesn't weaken when kinked a lot.

Stretch it out in the garden round washing line pole etc and it will straighten over the weekend.

It does sometimes kink on a reel but is ok if you disconnect occasionally and wrap it back on with no kinks.

It's so light it's the best for a pole and wouldn't use anything else on a trolley or for pole hose on my van mount which regularly gets wound on to my reel with the reel hose.

If you don't want the added weight of a reel just wrap it round the handles and unwind what you need on each job.

Proper reel hose you can't beat the gardiners 6mm stuff as it's supple but strong

Latest Posts

Back