Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New brush and 1.5mm jets... me no like

Chris34

After 18 months I decided to buy a new brush, I've been using the Gardiner ultimate medium soft with 2mm jets and cleaned windows, fascias, conny roofs.  I've got used to it and although it has it's limitations I've learn't how to make the best of it.

The new brush I decided to not go far off, I've got more extra's coming in and thought I'd try out a flocked so went with the ultimate flocked.  I also decided to try the 1.4mm jets to try and save water usage.  

I also got a univalve, disconnecting from the trolley gets your back a bit so been wanting one for over a year now and only just got round to getting it.

First tried new stuff today, the brush works well and seems to hug around the frames better, it feels good on the glass although it definitely holds onto the bits and I've found myself chasing bits today.  What I didn't like though was the rinse, the 1.4mm pencils are too fine, I don't know how anybody can use them.  I think they'll be great for the add ons but for glass work there is just a small circle on the glass when rinsing, it takes ages on the glass that beads up.  To make matters worse there is this fine mist everywhere, I turned down the flow but there was still loads of fine mist.  When I finished one big job I checked the windows at the front and the sun was shining from through from the back, not direct on the glass but enough to see what they had dried like, they had dried with the fine mist on them, looked awful.  I didn't want to point it out to the customer, from my years of cleaning experience the moment you start saying 'tell me if it's not right' well they'll never stop telling you it isn't right.  I'm just hoping that they don't complain and I'll put it right at my next visit.

After that job I went back to my old brush as the new brush stocks take a difference type of jet fitting so the 2mm jets can't be used on the new brush, I'll have to order some more.  Using the old brush just felt so much better, I noticed straight away the lack of mist when rinsing.

I am going to experiment with other brushes but the jets... don't know how you can use anything less than 2mm, it took me longer, felt ages to the point where it affected my rhythm and I slowed down even more, made my arms ache more as well because I was have to pass left to right over the glass more.

I am actually going to try the 3mm as I think they will be even easier.  I think the ideal would be to clean the frames with 1.4mm, then clean the windows again with 1.4mm but then have a switch that switched to 3mm for the rinse.  Obviously this isn't possible but in a dream scenario I think that would be the ideal set up for speed and water savings.

Oh also got a section 6 for the slx22, bloody hell it makes it heavy, I ended up having to ditch it and go for using a hop up on my tip toes as it was easier.  I was at a 70 degree angle though over a rear extension.  I'm hoping that on the jobs where I can get closer to the house to get to more of a 45 degree angle then it won't be as bad, pole was proper bendy though, really makes it totally different to use. 

After 18 months I decided to buy a new brush, I've been using the Gardiner ultimate medium soft with 2mm jets and cleaned windows, fascias, conny roofs.  I've got used to it and although it has it's limitations I've learn't how to make the best of it.

The new brush I decided to not go far off, I've got more extra's coming in and thought I'd try out a flocked so went with the ultimate flocked.  I also decided to try the 1.4mm jets to try and save water usage.  

I also got a univalve, disconnecting from the trolley gets your back a bit so been wanting one for over a year now and only just got round to getting it.

First tried new stuff today, the brush works well and seems to hug around the frames better, it feels good on the glass although it definitely holds onto the bits and I've found myself chasing bits today.  What I didn't like though was the rinse, the 1.4mm pencils are too fine, I don't know how anybody can use them.  I think they'll be great for the add ons but for glass work there is just a small circle on the glass when rinsing, it takes ages on the glass that beads up.  To make matters worse there is this fine mist everywhere, I turned down the flow but there was still loads of fine mist.  When I finished one big job I checked the windows at the front and the sun was shining from through from the back, not direct on the glass but enough to see what they had dried like, they had dried with the fine mist on them, looked awful.  I didn't want to point it out to the customer, from my years of cleaning experience the moment you start saying 'tell me if it's not right' well they'll never stop telling you it isn't right.  I'm just hoping that they don't complain and I'll put it right at my next visit.

After that job I went back to my old brush as the new brush stocks take a difference type of jet fitting so the 2mm jets can't be used on the new brush, I'll have to order some more.  Using the old brush just felt so much better, I noticed straight away the lack of mist when rinsing.

I am going to experiment with other brushes but the jets... don't know how you can use anything less than 2mm, it took me longer, felt ages to the point where it affected my rhythm and I slowed down even more, made my arms ache more as well because I was have to pass left to right over the glass more.

I am actually going to try the 3mm as I think they will be even easier.  I think the ideal would be to clean the frames with 1.4mm, then clean the windows again with 1.4mm but then have a switch that switched to 3mm for the rinse.  Obviously this isn't possible but in a dream scenario I think that would be the ideal set up for speed and water savings.

Oh also got a section 6 for the slx22, bloody hell it makes it heavy, I ended up having to ditch it and go for using a hop up on my tip toes as it was easier.  I was at a 70 degree angle though over a rear extension.  I'm hoping that on the jobs where I can get closer to the house to get to more of a 45 degree angle then it won't be as bad, pole was proper bendy though, really makes it totally different to use. 

I haven't seen the new jet capsules. If you don't like the smaller jets then can't you just drill them out with a 2mm drill bit?

For me personally it takes time to adjust to new equipment. It could be days, even weeks before 'm totally comfortable with using it.

2mm jets are the ones that work for me. I haven't used 3mm jets for years. I still have an old Vikan brush with them in somewhere. I appreciate that using 3mm jets in this age is different to when we used them 15 years ago, but when we used them without controllers and 1/2" delivery hose, I wasted too much water in the washing phase of cleaning a window. Flooding the window with water gave a good rinse though.

I'm not even sure if a Univalve would let enough water through it to accomodate 3mm jets. Note that a 3mm jet is roughly twice the size of a 2mm jet.

When we changed the hose size and added controllers the 3mm jets were just too big.

Spring controllers came up with that remote control that enabled you to choose two flow rate settings at the press of a button. Initially I felt that this was brilliant and just what we all needed. If you could hang a remote like that around your neck and activate the control with a simple voice control then great. But taking your hand off the pole to activate the button at each window doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
. If you could hang a remote like that around your neck and activate the control with a simple voice control then great. But taking your hand off the pole to activate the button at each window doesn't make sense to me.
That’s why I have a tap on my pole. It just goes to show what and how you get used to working. Like Iron Giant I started out with ‘small’ jets and use 1.4 all day long no problems. I think it’s the same with water flow. A lot of the self taught have started off with the water flow flat out and have been conditioned that way. No body likes change. 

That’s why I have a tap on my pole. It just goes to show what and how you get used to working. Like Iron Giant I started out with ‘small’ jets and use 1.4 all day long no problems. I think it’s the same with water flow. A lot of the self taught have started off with the water flow flat out and have been conditioned that way. No body likes change. 
I have begun to cut my water flow in half when I do an upstairs window and don't do below. Less water hitting their sill and bouncing back against their window, will be doing it all the time now.

I haven't seen the new jet capsules. If you don't like the smaller jets then can't you just drill them out with a 2mm drill bit?

For me personally it takes time to adjust to new equipment. It could be days, even weeks before 'm totally comfortable with using it.

2mm jets are the ones that work for me. I haven't used 3mm jets for years. I still have an old Vikan brush with them in somewhere. I appreciate that using 3mm jets in this age is different to when we used them 15 years ago, but when we used them without controllers and 1/2" delivery hose, I wasted too much water in the washing phase of cleaning a window. Flooding the window with water gave a good rinse though.

I'm not even sure if a Univalve would let enough water through it to accomodate 3mm jets. Note that a 3mm jet is roughly twice the size of a 2mm jet.

When we changed the hose size and added controllers the 3mm jets were just too big.

Spring controllers came up with that remote control that enabled you to choose two flow rate settings at the press of a button. Initially I felt that this was brilliant and just what we all needed. If you could hang a remote like that around your neck and activate the control with a simple voice control then great. But taking your hand off the pole to activate the button at each window doesn't make sense to me.
The new jets are good, seem like a step forward in design, not sure what durability would be like as they're plastic but for ease of fitting it's very good, you can swap them over in about a minute.

I probably could drill them out, I did think that last night but I want to keep the 1.4mm for fascia's, conny roofs.  They're ideal for them as you need plenty of dwell time so having a constant flow at good pressure will be easier due to using less water, less water less barrel changes and you don't have the problems like on glass when rinsing.

That remote sounds ideal, I knew they had a remote but I thought it was just an on and off, didn't realise they did one with predetermined settings.  That would be ideal as I could put the 3mm jets in and switch between say 20 on the controller and then activate it to 40 for the rinse.  I'll look into that, if I could adapt it and fix it in a way that doesn't involve removing my hands from the pole then it would be worth looking at.  Maybe clamping it on the first section or strapping it on the back of one of my hands with a open finger glove on.

I used to use 1mm jets for years ? now using 1.4mm without issue 
I initially tried them on my own windows and noticed loads of specs but just thought it must be on the inside, after noticing my customers looking the same, well when I got home the sun was shining through mine and I could see how bad it was, just loads of fine specs.  

I think it is the jets but not 100% sure as over the years in other types of cleaning I've done I've noticed that microfibre cloths leave the same type of crystal like specs on glass and mirrors, obviously I've not used a microfibre but I did have a new flocked brush, having never used a flocked I don't know if this could be the problem.  It would seem unlikely but from my experience I'm not ruling it out.  When I get some 2mm jets I'll be able to test it compared to my old brush.

The new jets are good, seem like a step forward in design, not sure what durability would be like as they're plastic but for ease of fitting it's very good, you can swap them over in about a minute.

I probably could drill them out, I did think that last night but I want to keep the 1.4mm for fascia's, conny roofs.  They're ideal for them as you need plenty of dwell time so having a constant flow at good pressure will be easier due to using less water, less water less barrel changes and you don't have the problems like on glass when rinsing.

That remote sounds ideal, I knew they had a remote but I thought it was just an on and off, didn't realise they did one with predetermined settings.  That would be ideal as I could put the 3mm jets in and switch between say 20 on the controller and then activate it to 40 for the rinse.  I'll look into that, if I could adapt it and fix it in a way that doesn't involve removing my hands from the pole then it would be worth looking at.  Maybe clamping it on the first section or strapping it on the back of one of my hands with a open finger glove on.
Just try a tap mate. 

I initially tried them on my own windows and noticed loads of specs but just thought it must be on the inside, after noticing my customers looking the same, well when I got home the sun was shining through mine and I could see how bad it was, just loads of fine specs.  

I think it is the jets but not 100% sure as over the years in other types of cleaning I've done I've noticed that microfibre cloths leave the same type of crystal like specs on glass and mirrors, obviously I've not used a microfibre but I did have a new flocked brush, having never used a flocked I don't know if this could be the problem.  It would seem unlikely but from my experience I'm not ruling it out.  When I get some 2mm jets I'll be able to test it compared to my old brush.
You need to find the sweet spot in terms of the correct Cal setting and Flo which can take time, water doesn't wanting to bouncing off the window it's a mind over matter thing as well, when i switched from 1mm jets to 1.4 the sound feedback of the water hitting the glass I had been to used for over 11 years meant I had to keep checking the water was actually flowing at times as I kept thinking the flow was restricted this went on for days. 

You need to find the sweet spot in terms of the correct Cal setting and Flo which can take time, water doesn't wanting to bouncing off the window it's a mind over matter thing as well, when i switched from 1mm jets to 1.4 the sound feedback of the water hitting the glass I had been to used for over 11 years meant I had to keep checking the water was actually flowing at times as I kept thinking the flow was restricted this went on for days. 
I did reduce the setting from 50 down to 30 but still had mist, the problem is though the circles on the glass were still very small compared to 2mm, so reducing it further would reduce the size of the circles meaning more passes left to right chasing beads down the glass.  For the windows that cascade it is fine, could probably clean them with 0.5mm jets but the amount of houses that have the windows that don't cascade is very high, life would be easy if they all cascade.

I used the 1.4mm for a conny roof clean yesterday and it was absolutely fine, perfect for it.  I didn't have a water issue and spent over 2 hours actually cleaning it, the added pressure helps blasts the dirt out of the nuts and crannys without using excess water.  When finished I noticed that I had loads of water left over though, when I worked it out I've only used around 65 litres.  Quite surprising really, I had expected to use around 100 litres and this is still accounting for the smaller jets.  

For the windows though I just cannot see how using smaller jets is easier.  When I used them for cleaning windows I didn't actually save much water as I spent ages rinsing, to the point my arms were aching.

I'm not saying I know better as obviously I've only just started using them, it's just my initial thoughts.  Think I'll try a tap as Stevieboy suggested with 3mm jets to get an understanding of both ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the windows though I just cannot see how using smaller jets is easier.  When I used them for cleaning windows I didn't actually save much water as I spent ages rinsing, to the point my arms were aching.
We use a 35cm brush with 4 x 1.4mm jets, we did use a 45cm brush, and find this the quickest most water efficient set up, but this is like everything to do with WFP we all have slightly different thoughts on what is best. 

We use a 35cm brush with 4 x 1.4mm jets, we did use a 45cm brush, and find this the quickest most water efficient set up, but this is like everything to do with WFP we all have slightly different thoughts on what is best. 
I did think about adding more jets.  The new brushes only allow 2 jets on the 26cm, but the old brush has the option of putting the jets slightly wider so potentially you could put 4 jets, I did think about putting 4 1mm jets on there to see if the rinse was easier.

It's like you say what suits one person doesn't suit another and it does depend on what your work is like.  I think for me the rinsing is the bit that I really don't like so trying to improve the speed of the rinse will make the job more enjoyable.  It kind of feels like the rinse slows me down.

Starting to get used to the univalve now, can be a little bit tricky when extended but better than having to put everything on the deck to get to the trolley to disconnect.  Won't save water for me but it does give more control and especially when the customer comes out chatting it's pretty cool to be able to just turn it off.  

One asked me yesterday actually how I managed to stop the water without going to the machine, felt quite smug telling them I've installed a special valve, although they do tend to give me that 'look' when I'm telling them about the kit like their thinking 'mate, you're obsessed you need help', ha ha, if only they knew what some of you lot were like ?  although I think I'm quickly developing a window cleaning obsession problem ?

I haven’t tried the 1.5mm yet. I use 2mm, I accidentally used the 3mm a while ago, I didn’t realise at first, I thought my pump was playing up so whacked the pressure up to 55 (usually work 35-40psi) I did one £35 house that took about an hour. When I came back to the van I had used about a quarter of a tank!!! Haha. 

My preferences are 

26cm brush  2mm pencil jets.

35cm brush 1.4mm pencil jets.

Gutterrs, facias,soffits and cladding 100 degree fan jets. 

3mm jets if you have a large tank (unlike me lol) and can a The luxury to go thru the water. 

I haven’t tried the 1.5mm yet. I use 2mm, I accidentally used the 3mm a while ago, I didn’t realise at first, I thought my pump was playing up so whacked the pressure up to 55 (usually work 35-40psi) I did one £35 house that took about an hour. When I came back to the van I had used about a quarter of a tank!!! Haha. 
You mean flow not pressure. Flow is liters per minute and pressure is psi.

Fancied a change myself all of last week, so put 50 degree fans in for half the week, then 100 degree fans for the second half.

Didn’t like either. I think 2mm pencils instantly build up enough water to make more of a hydrophilic reaction, whereas the fans spray to fine of a mist to do this so took me longer to rinse.

This is a subjective topic, so those who prefer fan jets, wind your necks in ?

Fancied a change myself all of last week, so put 50 degree fans in for half the week, then 100 degree fans for the second half.

Didn’t like either. I think 2mm pencils instantly build up enough water to make more of a hydrophilic reaction, whereas the fans spray to fine of a mist to do this so took me longer to rinse.

Must admit I tried the fans and they didn't last long, to be fair I was doubtful about them beforehand as the thought of water going above the brush worries me, each to their own.

Fan jets are good for gutter, soffits etc And also applying degreaser ? but like you pencils for me also. 

Back