Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van battery (not leisure) any difference?

ks789

I need to get a new battery for my transit connect, old one still works but its at least 4 years old and probably 5 or 6, and has started playing up. Im pleased how long its been going really, and after a trickle charge its still good for couple weeks etc, but not ideal to keep doing that just to eek out its life I guess. Anyway, does anyone reckon as with leisure batterys some are much better than others? any to avoid etc? Got a motor spares place on my doorstep but they only give a year guarantee, where I see some mail order ones give much longer.

I just saw that euro carparts do 50% off. so it had 2 listed for mine, both about £150, so guess with discount about £75. Sound good? If I recall this will be just about the first battery ive ever bought. Always used to run my old vehicles into the ground and scrap them.

From what ive looked up theres only a choice of about 2 anyway so, not like a big variation as with the leisure, so oh well, thats easy then, think I'll have meself a beer shortly, you know, as a kind of reward for me hard days investigation ? ?

Ive looked further. there are more, the cheapest is from the battery guys, based in skelmersdale. £58 inc vat and delivery. should do well, especially since the one thats been in there all this time isnt even the proper size and is 540amps. This 58 quid one is make dynamic blue, 64 ah and 620cca. 

At least you got lost of replys from the forum ?? ? 

We all deserve a beer now and watch the 1990 world Cup highlights on itv ?
Haha, That's us told.?

In my defence, I didn't reply as I havent bought a normal starter battery for a few years, so I couldn't give a current informed recommendation. Varta was a favourite brand of mine a few years ago but quality's can change with manufacturers. Some improve, others deteriorate as they live off a once well deserved good reputation.

The one standard I still adhere to, is to buy the biggest, strongest, best quality battery that I can fit in the compartment. I do my thorough research at the time when I suspect I'll be needing a replacement before long. I want to be as sure as I can that my vehicle will start and when it comes to leisure batteries, that I will be able to complete all my work without any worries of a low battery. Cheap is not always good. Sometimes a small difference in price can buy a much better product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful ordering a battery by mail order. I did that one year, thing turned up wet inside the sealed bag (leaking) and although it did start the car once or twice it didn't hold it's charge. I got a refund but it taught me a lesson!

Oddly i've had far more reliable batteries from my local scrap yard. It's now my default source in fact. You'd be amazed how many people buy new batteries and a year later they're weighing in the car.

Be careful ordering a battery by mail order. I did that one year, thing turned up wet inside the sealed bag (leaking) and although it did start the car once or twice it didn't hold it's charge. I got a refund but it taught me a lesson!

Oddly i've had far more reliable batteries from my local scrap yard. It's now my default source in fact. You'd be amazed how many people buy new batteries and a year later they're weighing in the car.
Probably worth a punt if you have a good car breaker. Especially if times are tough. You have to do what you can to get by.

Yeh I was surprised all this time the one in there appears to be too small for the compartment and not much amps. no wonder all these years the lights have been dim ?. looking forward to my new source of power ?

Latest Posts

Back