Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tricky windows above extensions

ShaunWills97

Hi guys, 

I'm new to window cleaning and really struggling with how to clean tricky windows above extensions or above bay windows etc. The ladder won't go up and I've tried using an extension pole but just feel I can't get good results. 

Traditional method btw

Could you guys share what techniques/tools you use? Any help is welcomed. Cheers 

To be honest there are a lot of windows that are virtually impossible to clean well trad in the situation you describe , I used to use a Harris pole and squeegee/applicator but was never happy with the results , with so many wfp cleaners out there now that is really the only way to go to do theses difficult windows , have you thought about changing over ?. If not it might be best to just stick to houses that you can do everything on, or tell the customer that you cannot do that window , sorry not to be more helpful but that’s about the bones of it .

Depending on how big the extension roofs are? 

I walk some or extand my ladder over or pole them in straight lines then put colth on pole to edge up 

Try a Wagtail or 

As @Pjj said water fed pole 100% safer if your not experience enough on a ladder 

I started trad when I first started building my round, without hijacking what @Pjj said your options are quite limited. 

1) if you can get them from inside (when this covid is over) offer to do them if they are in. 

2) Get a backpack and a CLX maybe 22ft and carry couple barrels for those really difficult jobs in your car/van, you'll find it opens up more houses you can do. 

3) if they are dead set on traditional they will most probably be happy to leave the odd vs having someone wfp their windows.

Hope this helps! 

You can easily clean these windows trad. I use an unger extension pole and a moreman accelerator with fliq pad.

It can take a while to get used to pole work, especially with a moreman. But well worth the time practicing with it. Its a great tool.

I keep a 20ft and 8ft unger pole, and 14" moreman.

Other useful bits of kit would be a scaper than attaches to the pole, unger ninja is what I use, and a unger fixi clamp for detailing anything.

You can easily clean these windows trad. I use an unger extension pole and a moreman accelerator with fliq pad.

It can take a while to get used to pole work, especially with a moreman. But well worth the time practicing with it. Its a great tool.

Other useful bits of kit would be a scaper than attaches to the pole, unger ninja is what I use, and a unger fixi clamp for detailing anything.
Yes it can be done  but will never give the same results as wfp frames will still be dirty and it will take ten times as long , I used to do  what you have suggested , but now it would be like a car dealer trying to sell someone a model T Ford it’s out dated and much quicker easier methods exist , it seams silly starting out using an old fashioned method , ones where I live wouldn’t accept that method now , we regularly pick up work from the few remaining trad cleaners due to dirty frames and nk detailing dine on those windows like that trad and dirty dribbles etc , Ime not knocking your working practices , but feel we need to move with the times and wfp is si much quicker easier and much better results when dine by experienced cleaners , trad still has its place like shop fronts ,shopping malls etc but for general domestic it’s a thing of the past I only know of 2 trad cleaners where I am and when they retire both are getting on there will be none left , no one else is starting out using trad , several window cleaners near me dont  evan carry trad gear and don’t know how to use a squeegee , I was talking to one guy and he said , Ime not interested in using a squeegee, if it cannot be dine wfp I won’t do it , Ime not saying this is right or wrong but seams to be the way a lot of newbies are going .

Yes it can be done  but will never give the same results as wfp frames will still be dirty and it will take ten times as long , I used to do  what you have suggested , but now it would be like a car dealer trying to sell someone a model T Ford it’s out dated and much quicker easier methods exist , it seams silly starting out using an old fashioned method , ones where I live wouldn’t accept that method now , we regularly pick up work from the few remaining trad cleaners due to dirty frames and nk detailing dine on those windows like that trad and dirty dribbles etc , Ime not knocking your working practices , but feel we need to move with the times and wfp is si much quicker easier and much better results when dine by experienced cleaners , trad still has its place like shop fronts ,shopping malls etc but for general domestic it’s a thing of the past I only know of 2 trad cleaners where I am and when they retire both are getting on there will be none left , no one else is starting out using trad , several window cleaners near me dont  evan carry trad gear and don’t know how to use a squeegee , I was talking to one guy and he said , Ime not interested in using a squeegee, if it cannot be dine wfp I won’t do it , Ime not saying this is right or wrong but seams to be the way a lot of newbies are going .
If your not wfp, and are looking for an option to get to these windows, then a trad pole will be far quicker than pulling out a WFP backpack. Especially for one window. I accept your cant get as good a job on the frames, but you can buy trad pole attachments to give them a wipe over, so I wouldn't say frames would be impossible.

View attachment 20570

With the recomendation of a 10inch  Moerman rather than 14inch, easier to use

Hi guys, 

I'm new to window cleaning and really struggling with how to clean tricky windows above extensions or above bay windows etc. The ladder won't go up and I've tried using an extension pole but just feel I can't get good results. 

Traditional method btw

Could you guys share what techniques/tools you use? Any help is welcomed. Cheers 
Some windows you're just never going to get at through safety concerns and when I tradded I just pointed that out and 9 times out of 10 they were fine with it, the ones who insisted, I politely declined the job.

Aye, its on my 14" and 16" I made. Through time they convex from pressure where handle is. I just bend them back the way, only noticed it last week when it was missing bits. I only trad a handful of houses so its no big deal.
Never had that problem,and I use slightly more than light pressure when have Razr red as rubber, though seem to recall you use a different type of handle?

Latest Posts

Back