Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is going on with my TDS?

Suhrly

Hi guys. Hope everybody is good. I have a Pure Freedom van system and I've just changed my RO membrane for the first time after 2 years. I've put in a Axeon HF5. The TDS coming from the tap is around 350ppm with around 50/60psi. I've just flushed it for the first time for about an hour then switched to producing pure but it's only bringing it down to around 55ppm before it hits the resin! Surely it should be bringing it down to around 7ppm? Again it's a brand new membrane. Sediment filters are also brand new but I know that shouldn't make any difference to the RO output. 

Is there a settling in period or should it 'work' instantly? I know my PSI from the tap isn't the greatest but it should still be working better than that? I'm baffled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sediment first, c/b second. 50 psi w/p is enough for an HF5 membrane.
Thanks @spruce Yeah that's what mine is so all good there just checking. It's on flushing again so gonna give it another hour or so and see if that helps. I've just read it can take a couple of days for it to settle down ?

When building systems it takes around 5/6 hours of flush to get the results we require. Have you put the membrane in the right way?

If you hold pure and waste hoses together which has more flow?

Thanks @spruce Yeah that's what mine is so all good there just checking. It's on flushing again so gonna give it another hour or so and see if that helps. I've just read it can take a couple of days for it to settle down ?
Instructions to replace membrane for Champ housing. Same principle for other housings.

Remove the end cap from the feed end (the end with only one port) – this is achieved by pulling on the white tab which will remove the white holding ring.  The end cap can now easily be removed.  Remove the membrane from its packaging.  Insert the membrane into the  housing with the black brine seal at the feed end (ie feed the membrane in with the brine seal end going in last).  Push the membrane firmly to ensure it is fully inserted.  Push in the end cap, again ensure it is fully inserted to reveal the holding ring groove.  Replace the holding ring.

When building systems it takes around 5/6 hours of flush to get the results we require. Have you put the membrane in the right way?

If you hold pure and waste hoses together which has more flow?
I'm pretty sure I have @doug atkinson. The previous filter was an Axeon HF4 and when I took it out I made sure which end was which and replaced new one the same. I have a Pure Freedom van system so I can't compare directly like that but I believe it's set up to be 50/50 

Instructions to repalce membrane for Champ housing. Same principle for other housings.

Remove the end cap from the feed end (the end with only one port) – this is achieved by pulling on the white tab which will remove the white holding ring.  The end cap can now easily be removed.  Remove the membrane from its packaging.  Insert the membrane into the  housing with the black brine seal at the feed end (ie feed the membrane in with the brine seal end going in last).  Push the membrane firmly to ensure it is fully inserted.  Push in the end cap, again ensure it is fully inserted to reveal the holding ring groove.  Replace the holding ring.

Mine is a Pure Freedom van system @spruce so the RO housing is a stainless steel 40" one. Just a case of taking the lid off and pulling out the old, replace, insert new one and lid back on.

I'm pretty sure I have @doug atkinson. The previous filter was an Axeon HF4 and when I took it out I made sure which end was which and replaced new one the same. I have a Pure Freedom van system so I can't compare directly like that but I believe it's set up to be 50/50 
Hold both the pure and waste together as this can tell a lot of things. Or time how long it takes to fill a litre jug

As above measure from waste van port and inlet into DI Vessel. This is always key to measure it as if set incorrect will damage the membrane. It will also show if your membrane is not seated correctly.

Right I think I might have come across something. On the Pure Freedom van system the waste tap is seated right underneath the RO housing. When I first got my van back from Pure Freedom a couple years ago, the guy said I only had to worry about one thing in regards to flushing and making pure water. He said to make pure water, make sure the tap is ALL THE WAY CLOSED TIGHT. Then it will start to produce pure. Fair enough. And he said to flush it, open it all the way. Again, easy enough. So tonight I've been experimenting a little bit and while it's been closed (producing pure) I've actually turned it open a little bit so it's not closed completely TIGHT. The pressure drops and it starts to produce more waste, obviously. I then noticed the TDS starting to drop down. Now, when I first changed my RO membrane today my tap TDS was 350ppm. Later on in the day it dropped to 70ppm coming from the tap (my TDS fluctuates WILDLY every day!). While it was at 70ppm the RO was bring it down to 4ppm. When I opened the tap a little more it went down to 3ppm. I also noticed there was a drip coming from the waste tap so the nut has worked its way loose. I've tightened that up.

@Part Timer I know you have a Pure Freedom van system what do you do in regards with the tap? Where do you have it 'set' when producing pure? As tight as it'll go or do you back it off a touch? 

Closed fully to produce and open fully to flush, I'm on my 2nd system and have done this on both systems. The original Van's membrane is over 6 years old and is still producing, when required, efficiently.

Closed fully to produce and open fully to flush, I'm on my 2nd system and have done this on both systems. The original Van's membrane is over 6 years old and is still producing, when required, efficiently.
Do you close it as tight as it'll go or just 'loosely' close it? What is your TDS coming out ya tap and what does the RO bring it down to just out of curiosity? 

Latest Posts

Back