Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery query....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A S

Hi,

I have no knowledge about voltage and amps, capacity etc...none whatsoever.

When I see a pump and it is 100psi but 12v then am i right in assuming that all i need is a 12v battery eg a gardiner backpack one?

I've not got a big set up just backpack...and barrels but thinking of using a pump to transfer water from barrel to backpack but also thinking about what could be done in the future...

Eg what would be needed to to run 80 metres of hose and 40 foot pole?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

When I see a pump and it is 100psi but 12v then am i right in assuming that all i need is a 12v battery eg a gardiner backpack one?

I've not got a big set up just backpack...and barrels but thinking of using a pump to transfer water from barrel to backpack but also thinking about what could be done in the future...

Thanks
Im not 100% but I'd think you would need a proper bigger leisure battery and the usual shurflo pump that most of the suppliers sell to do 80 metres and 40 foot pole. Backpacks are fine for normal homes etc.

Hi,

Thanks
To transfer water from a barrel to a backpack then this would be the way to go.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/12v-submersible-pumps-hose-fittings/12-volt-submersible-water-pump-backpack-transfer-kit.html

You need to check that the pump diameter is smaller than the neck of your plastic containers. Power could be sourced from your vehicle's battery.

Now the next future step is a leap. You suggest to me you are looking at a van mount.

IMHO a small backpack pump isn't suitable for a van mount application as it isn't designed for that.

Edit: A Gardiner backpack battery 12v 12amph battery according to the specs.

This means the battery will in theory deliver 12amps of power for 1 hour before it goes flat and needs to be recharged. But as its a lead acid battery it shouldn't be discharged to below 50% of its capacity if you don't want to send it to an early grave. This means it only has 6amps of usable power. We have Shurflo pumps on the vans. I checked the power consumption of my pump running at the flow rate I'm happy with.

Amp draw;

Minibore = 2.0 amps

Microbore = 3.5 amps

If I used that Gardiner battery I would only have enough power to run my pump for 2 hours at 3.5 amps presuming that the battery could actually deliver that amount of current. We use to estimate on compact work that our pumps actually ran for 50% of our working time max. If that assumption is correct then we should be able to work for 4 hours. (I don't know how much current/power the Gardiner backpump pump draws but its much less than what a Shurflo pump draws as its much smaller.)

You need to go for a bigger more robust pump such as a Shurflo or equivalent with a Spring or Varistream controller. These require more power. These are more than man enough for the job. I would suggest a minimum battery size to run a van mount of around 85amps but its always better to got a little bigger. My suggestion is also a leisure battery.

You will need to recharge the battery so a smart charger is also a must.

Not many of the main suppliers are advertising atm on Ebay but when they do you could just duplicate their systems.

You will need a van and I believe that buying a vehicle that has a payload to carry a 500 liter tank comfortably is what you should be looking at. There are often used 250 liter systems for sale because their owners discovered that they quickly outgrew that size tank. 250 liters of water isn't enough for a days work in our experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back