Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is in my RO pure pipe?? (I dont think its good!)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Robt100

Hi all,

just getting set up to change my RO membrane tomorrow, whilst dismantling today I noticed the pipe is rather discoloured
IMG_20200518_160454.jpg

IMG_20200518_160632.jpg

Not sure what it is, looked like algae? Managed to get my finger down the pipe (ooer!) and scrape some out, comes out like this.

IMG_20200518_160601.jpg

IMG_20200518_160625.jpg

Can anyone identify what this might be? And also whether the pipe is still useable, or if it needs cleaning what should I use (same goes for the RO housing)?
Have checked the pipes out of the DI, and also pre-filters and can't see anything similar. I'm wondering if the RO has went manky from sitting for too long?

Hi all,

just getting set up to change my RO membrane tomorrow, whilst dismantling today I noticed the pipe is rather discoloured
View attachment 20515

View attachment 20516

Not sure what it is, looked like algae? Managed to get my finger down the pipe (ooer!) and scrape some out, comes out like this.

View attachment 20517

View attachment 20518

Can anyone identify what this might be? And also whether the pipe is still useable, or if it needs cleaning what should I use (same goes for the RO housing)?
Have checked the pipes out of the DI, and also pre-filters and can't see anything similar. I'm wondering if the RO has went manky from sitting for too long?
My guess is that your right and it's algea. Probably getting too much sunlight on the hose. Ours is kept in the garage. I don't know whether it's possible to clean it. I'd imagine perhaps a bit of bleach might sort it but you'd need to make certain that you rinsed it all out thoroughly. Don't get any bleach or other contaminates on the Ro's, resin or filters. Keep your equipment out of natural sunlight or you will probably get problems with algea.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. ?

My guess is that your right and it's algea. Probably getting too much sunlight on the hose. Ours is kept in the garage. I don't know whether it's possible to clean it. I'd imagine perhaps a bit of bleach might sort it but you'd need to make certain that you rinsed it all out thoroughly. Don't get any bleach or other contaminates on the Ro's, resin or filters. Keep your equipment out of natural sunlight or you will probably get problems with algea.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. ?
Use a coloured hose rather than clear algi won’t grow in that as it needs sunlight to grow ( photosynthesis) 

Equipment has either been in the Van (which has no windows in the load bay) and after that put into an outbuilding with a door that seals tight, so not sure how the light has got on it? Clear hose in the van on the taank to pumps is all 100% clear.

Got some spare reinforced yellow hose from the old tap feed at the old house (moved 8 weeks ago) that I can use instead.
I've only noticed it since I changed my pre-filters, im assuming its just coincidence? If not Doug at Daqua has a lot to answer for?

Right, Membrane swap today..... inlet end of membrane covered in algae! Have taken it out and now cleaning everything in very hot water, still smells like the seaside in there though? Theres a ring stain that seems to be stuck that I cant get off, just not sure if it is just a mark or some very VERY tough algae

Back